Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 09:53 PM

19 posts, read 25,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Nothing wrong, per se, with not wanting to live in a city where lots of Spanish is spoken, but Spanish cities are demographically nothing like L.A. or Texas. Have you ever been to a Spanish city?
Phooey, let's not get all into semantics here. You know EXACTLY what I mean. No, Los Angeles doesn't resemble Barcelona...it does however feel like one of the larger cities in Mexico (where I have been!).

Many people colloquially use the word "Spanish" to refer to all things Latino or Hispanic in this country. I might refer to Boyle Heights as a "Spanish neighborhood" even though it's actually a Mexican/Central American neighborhood. My parents are from New York, and they grew up in the little Italy section of the Bronx. If you asked them, they would tell you it's mostly Spanish people now, in reality it's mostly Puerto Ricans.

I am not writing an academic paper, you knew exactly what I mean...if you don't then I assume you haven't had much social interaction with Americans outside of your bubble. Because the colloquial use of Spanish to refer to all things Hispanic in America is widely used and almost never chastised unless it's by a Geography teacher or someone trying to be a smart*ss.

Btw, I have no problem living in a city with a lot of people speaking Spanish...at home, or with their friends. However I do have a big problem when people come to a country that is largely English speaking and then put the residents at a disadvantage by speaking English. My ancestors spoke Italian, in their homes and churches and all-Italian social events. But they learned English and would have never expected their fellow citizens to pander to their lack of English skills by asking them to learn Italian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 10:17 PM

273 posts, read 349,971 times
To answer your question I'd say Phoenix for sure, particularly northern portions of Phoenix or various suburbs such as Scottsdale, Chandler or Gilbert. You mention Mesa, but keep in mind the city is heavily Hispanic on it's west side.

There really is no city like LA, why not consider heavily Caucasian areas of Los Angeles county such as Chatsworth, Porter Ranch, Thousand Oaks, or Santa Clarita? If you go slightly beyond LA County cities like Simi Valley, Rancho Cucamonga, and Upland would be a good fit as well.

I hear you about the high taxes and burdensome regulations; I currently pay about 10% in state income taxes and it's pretty absurd. If ole Jerry Brown raises taxes again to say 15%, I may vote with my feet as well. Luckily I own my house free and clear here in Reseda so if I do move out i'll profiteer nicely from my home or just rent it out for the cash flow

Old 01-01-2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Valencia View Post
To answer your question I'd say Phoenix for sure, particularly northern portions of Phoenix or various suburbs such as Scottsdale, Chandler or Gilbert. You mention Mesa, but keep in mind the city is heavily Hispanic on it's west side.

There really is no city like LA, why not consider heavily Caucasian areas of Los Angeles county such as Chatsworth, Porter Ranch, Thousand Oaks, or Santa Clarita? If you go slightly beyond LA County cities like Simi Valley, Rancho Cucamonga, and Upland would be a good fit as well.

I hear you about the high taxes and burdensome regulations; I currently pay about 10% in state income taxes and it's pretty absurd. If ole Jerry Brown raises taxes again to say 15%, I may vote with my feet as well. Luckily I own my house free and clear here in Reseda so if I do move out i'll profiteer nicely from my home or just rent it out for the cash flow
Thanks. I feel like I am getting misunderstood here. It's not that I have a problem with Latino people, like at all.
My problem (which you might notice if you live in CA) is there is a very large sentiment amongst CA Mexicans that this is THEIR land, we should all speak Spanish, white people should go back to Europe (but leave their money!!) etc. moving to Thousand Oaks is not going to shield me from the very offensive "Aztlan" sentiment that is big amongst Latinos all across this state, whether you're in Redding or San Jose or Pasadena or San Juan Capistrano. You might be older than me so you don't realize it, but Latinos in my age group are very nationalistic about this state...Google "Aztlan".
The taxes wouldn't kill me so much if they were put to good use, but they are not. I don't like the idea of paying for ridiculous social programs, stupid high speed train lines, even the metro rail is a waste of money IMO ..this isn't NY, in this city we drive cars unless you're 14 or homeless. Such a waste...

The fact that Mesa has Mexicans doesn't bother me, even if it was 94% Mexican I would live there if it was nice and they spoke English and didn't expect me to speak a foreign language to get a job, or even purchase a pack of Camels...I did hear that it is a more religious suburb, which isn't something I'm looking for right now (maybe when I have kids lol) so I am focusing on Scottsdale.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:14 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavinLA1989 View Post
Phooey, let's not get all into semantics here. You know EXACTLY what I mean. No, Los Angeles doesn't resemble Barcelona...it does however feel like one of the larger cities in Mexico (where I have been!).

Many people colloquially use the word "Spanish" to refer to all things Latino or Hispanic in this country. I might refer to Boyle Heights as a "Spanish neighborhood" even though it's actually a Mexican/Central American neighborhood. My parents are from New York, and they grew up in the little Italy section of the Bronx. If you asked them, they would tell you it's mostly Spanish people now, in reality it's mostly Puerto Ricans.

I am not writing an academic paper, you knew exactly what I mean...if you don't then I assume you haven't had much social interaction with Americans outside of your bubble. Because the colloquial use of Spanish to refer to all things Hispanic in America is widely used and almost never chastised unless it's by a Geography teacher or someone trying to be a smart*ss.
Damn, that's a lot of words.

Where I live, Albuquerque, 'Spanish' is used to describe Americans of mainly Spanish heritage as opposed to Mexicans.

Oh, and I am from the Bronx, too. In fact I am sitting in a house in the Bronx right now. I call Spanish speakers around here 'Puerto Ricans' or 'Domincans'. I call their language 'Spanish'.

I wouldn't call you 'English' because you speak English.

Quote:
Btw, I have no problem living in a city with a lot of people speaking Spanish...at home, or with their friends. However I do have a big problem when people come to a country that is largely English speaking and then put the residents at a disadvantage by speaking English. My ancestors spoke Italian, in their homes and churches and all-Italian social events. But they learned English and would have never expected their fellow citizens to pander to their lack of English skills by asking them to learn Italian.
You didn't have to tell me you have a chip on your shoulder, it was readilly inferrable from the rest of your posts.

Last edited by ABQConvict; 01-02-2015 at 08:22 AM..

Old 01-02-2015, 08:41 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I've heard from fellow-city-data'ers that Houston has a lot of the same qualities as LA. It's less taxed and more integrated and truly "diverse" in the sense you're looking for (inclusion). Can anyone from Houston confirm or deny this?
I'm not from there, but I do think that Houston is as close as you're going to get to Los Angeles outside the state of California. The two cities share a few characteristics:

They developed on a largely car-centric, suburban template.
Both were boom cities in their respective eras.
Both have a large transplant population.
Both enjoy mild climates.
Both dominate the southern part of their respective states.
Both have accessibility to water and port facilities.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Damn, that's a lot of words.

Where I live, Albuquerque, 'Spanish' is used to describe Americans of mainly Spanish heritage as opposed to Mexicans.

Oh, and I am from the Bronx, too. In fact I am sitting in a house in the Bronx right now. I call Spanish speakers around here 'Puerto Ricans' or 'Domincans'. I call their language 'Spanish'.

I wouldn't call you 'English' because you speak English.

You didn't have to tell me you have a chip on your shoulder, it was readilly inferrable from the rest of your posts.
lol, I didn't know I was getting graded. Do you want me to call you professor, or dad?

You're so cool and PC

Old 01-02-2015, 10:20 AM

23,539 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Couple of suggestions (I also lived in South Pasadena for several years when I lived in SoCal). Nothing will ever be exactly like LA, as LA is very unique.

1/ Austin, Texas
2/ Houston, Texas
3/ San Jose, CA
4/ Denver, CO
5/ Portland, OR
6/ San Luis Obispo, CA
7/ Walnut Creek, CA (reminds me of Pasadena, CA)

Old 01-02-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Couple of suggestions (I also lived in South Pasadena for several years when I lived in SoCal). Nothing will ever be exactly like LA, as LA is very unique.

1/ Austin, Texas
2/ Houston, Texas
3/ San Jose, CA
4/ Denver, CO
5/ Portland, OR
6/ San Luis Obispo, CA
7/ Walnut Creek, CA (reminds me of Pasadena, CA)
Well thanks, I wanted to get out of CA because of the government and the culture...but thanks anyways.

What about Austin or Portland is like LA? I have heard Houston before but never Austin, and I heard Portland was just a big hipster city.

How is Denver? I am just concerned about experiencing the same government problems in CO with high taxes, crappy gun laws, nanny statism that I am in CA.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:39 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
lol, I didn't know I was getting graded. Do you want me to call you professor, or dad?

You're so cool and PC
The term "Spanish" seems to be much more common in NM and CO because there are a lot of Hispanic people in this part of the country who are not of Mexican decent. There were Spaniards here at one point, and there was a lot of mixing of Spaniards with the local natives. So there are people in CO and NM who may look Mexican but their roots go back a couple hundred years in this area and they don't like to be referred to as Mexican since they aren't. For some reason, I hear them referred to as "Spanish", especially by the "old timers".

Old 01-02-2015, 10:42 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Well thanks, I wanted to get out of CA because of the government and the culture...but thanks anyways.

What about Austin or Portland is like LA? I have heard Houston before but never Austin, and I heard Portland was just a big hipster city.

How is Denver? I am just concerned about experiencing the same government problems in CO with high taxes, crappy gun laws, nanny statism that I am in CA.
I don't think taxes are as high in Denver as LA (I moved here from Orange County), but it sounds like you'd be happier among "Tea Partiers". Denver is liberal, although more of a "live and let live" type of liberal (hence the legal weed in CO). I don't own guns, so really don't care what the gun laws are. You can own a gun in CO though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.