Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 08:26 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
I was replying to your ignorant comment about having to be rich to live comfortable, in which you generalized millions of people, not just foreigners.

Do you personally know the OP? How do you know about their financial situation and means?
What I find really odd is nep talks as if he knows what its like to live in California.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:50 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
What I find really odd is nep talks as if he knows what its like to live in California.
Exactly. Or anywhere West. It's the strangest thing, and it doesn't make sense.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:27 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,656,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Exactly. Or anywhere West. It's the strangest thing, and it doesn't make sense.
People from Connecticut are socialized in a very strange, atypical way relative to most Americans.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:28 AM

734 posts, read 920,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
Thank you for sharing your experiences. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Yes, San Diego is a nice place. But not only is it expensive but it is a hard place to find good paying jobs. The economy there is based on tourism, the military and some bio-tech. Not much else. Basically, lots of people want to move there and the competition for the good jobs that do exist is fierce.
True. If there were more high paying engineering jobs out there I'd probably go in a heartbeat.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:06 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Interesting observation about African Americans in commercials and such.

While overall, African Americans make up 14.1 percent of the US population, that percentage varies greatly from state to state and region to region.

For instance, Mississippi is 37.3 percent African American, while Montana is less than 1 percent African American. Generally speaking the percentages are highest in the American South, followed by the East Coast, then the West, and finally lowest in the Northwest.

In the states you visited, the percentages are: California - 6.67 percent. New York - 15.18 percent. Florida - 15.91 percent.

List of U.S. states by African-American population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Glad you had a good time here, by the way. Hope you can come back again! Interesting post - thanks for giving us your perspective!

Old 01-10-2015, 03:53 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,769,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Interesting observation about African Americans in commercials and such!
I've got a friend who is married to a black woman from Colombia. When she first came to the USA a few years ago she was struck by the number of adds with African-Americans and the number of newscasters or sportscasters who are black. Despite having a large black population in Colombia, it is rare to see anyone black in adds or newscasters, etc. Seems the U.S. has made progress in some areas...albeit pretty symbolic.

Old 01-10-2015, 05:01 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
People from Connecticut are socialized in a very strange, atypical way relative to most Americans.
And your ignorant comment is based on what, exactly?

I was simply saying that coastal California is extremely expensive for most people. Is that not true? Zillow property values say otherwise.

I have not lived in California. But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to look up home prices. And when I look at homes on the MLS in coastal California, there is literally nothing decent for under $200K.

Stop beating around the bush and just acknowledge that California metro areas are THE most expensive in the nation, by far, which makes it very hard to recommend to most people who give a rat's ass about their finances and having a shot at home ownership.

The OP has stated earlier in this thread that he was concerned about the exorbitant cost of living in CA.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:05 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,394,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentinafutbol View Post
I also noticed an interesting thing in my travels and that was a lot of commercials on TV had a lot of black people that it would have seen that the USA was mostly black but I only saw a lot of blacks in NYC. Since in Argentina we don't really have blacks it surprised me how much the media promotes blacks in your country considering they are only 13% of population.
Politics.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:29 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Szeliga View Post
And what is *progress exactly ?

Having black poeople overepresented in the Media, having diveristy quotas which discriminate against the White majority ? Is that what you call *progress

To have a race free society you shouldnt decide anything on race, you shouldn't having things like diveristy quotas
What do you mean "overrepresented"?

Old 01-10-2015, 09:04 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Szeliga View Post

Black people make up 13% of the USA UT about 22% of the people on television and the media
Well, let's just all go slit our wrists...

Honestly, aren't there significantly bigger problems in society>?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.