Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 02:03 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,494,456 times

Advertisements

Considering size, density, layout, skyline, demographics, weather, and economy, which two US cities are the most similar?

From the places I've been, I'd say Rochester, NY and Milwaukee, WI or Tucson, AZ and Albuquerque, NM. Both cities, in my opinion, feel like carbon copies of its pair.

Cities that come close:
Baltimore and Cincinnati (similar in many ways, but the harbor vs. river is a pretty substantial difference)
Columbus and Indianapolis (very similar, but Columbus is quite a bit larger)
Buffalo and Cleveland (lots in common between these two too, but Cleveland is much larger and has a nicer downtown)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 02:14 PM

273 posts, read 347,942 times
Minneapolis-St. Paul

Old 01-24-2015, 02:24 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,494,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Valencia View Post
Minneapolis-St. Paul
Disagree!

Minneapolis reminds me a lot of Seattle or Toronto. It's a very modern, liberal, artsy, white-collar city.

Saint Paul seems like a Great Lakes rust belt city akin to Cleveland. St. Paul is down-to-earth, no b.s., and blue-collar to the core.

Minneapolis is said to be the city of glass. St. Paul is the city of stone.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:25 PM

448 posts, read 804,967 times
Jersey City, NJ - New York City, NY

Old 01-24-2015, 02:25 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,424,954 times
Columbus, OH and Indy, IN but its been mentioned a 1000 times on here before.

Old 01-24-2015, 03:52 PM

10,720 posts, read 23,645,291 times
Boise and Salt Lake City share similar DNA.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:45 PM

737 posts, read 1,646,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Valencia View Post
Minneapolis-St. Paul
Ha, I was thinking the same thing.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:51 PM

5,951 posts, read 13,038,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Considering size, density, layout, skyline, demographics, weather, and economy, which two US cities are the most similar?

From the places I've been, I'd say Rochester, NY and Milwaukee, WI or Tucson, AZ and Albuquerque, NM. Both cities, in my opinion, feel like carbon copies of its pair.

Cities that come close:
Baltimore and Cincinnati (similar in many ways, but the harbor vs. river is a pretty substantial difference)
Columbus and Indianapolis (very similar, but Columbus is quite a bit larger)
Buffalo and Cleveland (lots in common between these two too, but Cleveland is much larger and has a nicer downtown)
Based on what I know about these places as well as other places mentioned, I would have to disagree on most of these.

I think Milwaukee "carbon copy" would be closer to Buffalo, NY than Rochester, NY.

1. Both Buffalo and Milwaukee downtownsare actually on the Great Lake. Rochester is on a river, inland.
2. They both look a little older and more rustbelt (Milwaukee and Buffalo skylines are much more dominated by 1920s highrises, Rochester looks more modern. with a stronger white ethnic heritage maybe. (both buffalo and Milwaukee are known for Polish culture as well as others. Never heard of Rochester having Polish-Am culture).
3. Both Milwaukee and Buffalo are within 2 hour drive of the two world class Great lakes cities (Chicago and Toronto respectively), and benefit from the proximity I believe.

Other than size, and southwest location, I KNOW Tuscon and Albuquerque are quite different. I would say that anyone who loves the southwest and wants to live in a city thats not TOO big (no larger than a million) would like both, but they are different.

Tuscon is in the Sonora desert, a more "subtropical' desert, with saguaros and botany and wildlife that reaches their northernmost location. Albuquerque is along a major river corridor that is set in plateaus that are cold desert with sagebrush, pinyon pine, etc.

From a cultural heritage standpoint, Albuquerque being in NM has WAYY more Spanish heritage and history, distinct cuisine, etc. Tuscon has the beautiful San Xavier mission on the south side of town but thats it. Also, ABQ has living Pueblo villages close by, etc., etc.

Tuscon is probably doing a little better economically though. NM unfortunately deals with a little more "brain drain" than the other four corner states.

Columbus and Indy are similar but Columbus is much more liberal (largely due to the university) than Indy.

Also, other than maybe similar architecture I don't think Cincy is similar to Baltimore. Maybe Baltimore is what Cincy would be if Cincys urban architecture remained much more intact and was part of the east coast urban corridor.

Baltimore is on the east coast, right on the Chesapeake Bay, Cincy is an inland city on the Ohio river, and is part of a powerhouse metro area that is over 8 million people. (I know DC and Baltimore are separate cities, but they are rightly counted as a continuous metro area. Baltimore might be a little flatter (?), but the east coast location and being part of a huge metro area does make a difference.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:53 PM

676 posts, read 951,147 times
I agree with your assessment of the Twin Cities, but definitely disagree about Milwaukee and Rochester.

Milwaukee is nearly three times the size of Rochester in terms of both population and area. Milwaukee's metro has twice the population of Rochester's. The Milwaukee economy is nearly double the size of the Rochester economy. I'd say the layout is also quite different, with Milwaukee having a much stronger grid than Rochester does.

In terms of the skyline, demographics, and weather, they are similar, yes, but I'd say there are much more similar cities out there.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:54 PM

5,951 posts, read 13,038,325 times
Salt Lake City metro is nearly twice the size of Boise, much more centrally located to the nation, and has "big city" indicators like major league sports teams.

Minneapolis is a small city compared to Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.