Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 09:44 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times

Advertisements

I like what I hear and read about Asheville. Are there any other similar towns/cities in the South that would be similar in mindset?

What would be some of its closest equivalents, and in what ways?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 10:16 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I like what I hear and read about Asheville. Are there any other similar towns/cities in the South that would be similar in mindset?

What would be some of its closest equivalents, and in what ways?
About the only one I can think of is Chapel Hill - plus it's university town, which I think I remember from your last thread you wanted?

Old 10-06-2008, 03:10 PM

124 posts, read 479,177 times
I don't think many towns in the south have the same mindset as Asheville! You would have to find a liberal college town (which isn't that hard). Probably Chapel Hill possibly Clemson, SC.

Asheville is very unique and there is no place that is as unique with the same mindset anywhere in the south. In my opinion of course.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:33 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Well, not the South, but maybe Madison, WI. If you don't mind snow . . . maybe look there????

Old 10-06-2008, 04:11 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by histo320 View Post
possibly Clemson, SC.
Not hardly. LOL

Old 10-06-2008, 06:00 PM

I should have explained my answer above. Clemson U has a strong curriculum in football, engineering, football, and agriculture among other departments. The school nor the town is exactly a bastion of liberal thought. Oh, and it's a football town. Did I mention that? Of course, this year, the bloom is a bit off the rose.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:14 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by histo320 View Post
possibly Clemson, SC.
Without the university would Clemson even rate a stoplight?

Old 10-07-2008, 08:16 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,085 times
On topic to the Asheville mindset--

The mindset of Asheville post brings up a point crucial to me. One of several primary reasons we are being forced out of Los Angeles and considering Asheville is the recently mandated sterilization of all dogs, with no genuine exemptions (just Catch-22, not doable in real life ones, I'll explain if folks are interested.) We own show dogs, do not sterilize them, and have told all our surrounding neighbors that if they ever see our dogs running loose, save them then call the police because it means we are dead or involuntarily unconscious by some malfeasance. ( We are currently "Anne Franking" our showdogs.)

I'm aware that Buncombe Co. has differential licensing fees for unaltered dogs. Is there any possibility that this would escalate to an outtright ban? I am terrified that a city government of 100% urban liberals, as posts claim Asheville remains, is susceptible to the falsehoods perpetrated by non-animal-owning extremists, as happened in my city. By the by, I detest my native L.A. and don't want to live any place that will become identical.

Is Asheville, with its oft vaunted liberalism, headed in the direction of "nanny state," wherein San Francisco and Los Angeles are held as the ideal of micro-managing everyone else's lives, particularly in areas wherein the government employees have zero expertise themselves? I am thinking also in terms of the unfortunate divide between urban and rural values: posters here have highlighted the difference between the values of the civic center and its elected officials, and the surrounding countryside. I don't expect prognostication as answers, but you all are the experts in your own area and can evaluate trends. Thank you all in advance.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:27 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times
Wouldn't Boone, NC, home of "Happy Appy" be similar?

Old 10-07-2008, 09:43 AM

fastfilm, I understand your concern. I can't speak for Asheville, but in the case of Winston-Salem, where they have a similar split fee for neutered/un-neutered pets, the fee structure was implemented solely to discourage indiscriminant breeding of pets (as opposed to show dogs). There is a clearly stated exemption for show animals. To the best of my knowledge, it was not implemented as a "nanny state" sort of action, but as an attempt to impact pet overpopulation. Hopefully, this is the case in Asheville as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina