Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 02:31 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,203,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
OK, tell me specifically when you believe actual drivers will be fully replaced on all roads by automatic cars? What year?

Because I love a good laugh.
By 2030 or when boomers are too old to drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 02:34 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
I don't know, 15-20 years sounds way too soon to me. Are you guys guessing or do you actually know detailed information about this technology and based your guesses off information you've gotten from companies who will make these cars or this technology? Maybe it's because I'm not into cars in any way except the fact that I drive them, but I never hear about this technology or how advanced it is or when it will come out and be fully functional to the point where a baby could "drive" unattended.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I don't know, 15-20 years sounds way too soon to me. Are you guys guessing or do you actually know detailed information about this technology and based your guesses off information you've gotten from companies who will make these cars or this technology? Maybe it's because I'm not into cars in any way except the fact that I drive them, but I never hear about this technology or how advanced it is or when it will come out and be fully functional to the point where a baby could "drive" unattended.
Most companies will be selling their autonomous cars to rich people by 2017. Google doesn't even have a steering wheel in there new car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqSDWoAhvLU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDOnn0-4Nq8

Old 02-06-2015, 02:38 PM

545 posts, read 1,100,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
the technology is already here. google has cars that self drive in california. now Uber is opening a self driving car center in Pittsburgh. it's just a matter of fine tuning all of the details in the technology, and mass production. but there are cars that drive themselves now.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:52 PM

We really going to have to have a discussion on what to do with the unemployed drivers in the future.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:55 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
By 2030 or when boomers are too old to drive.
In 15 years every street and highway will be fully automated with no "actual" drivers on the road? LOL

Old 02-06-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
In 15 years every street and highway will be fully automated with no "actual" drivers on the road? LOL
So when do you think it will happen. Also there will probably be people like you driving a car.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:30 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
You are missing the avalanche effect. As soon as the robo cars get enough presence they are going to show an accident rate 10 or 20% of the human driven vehicle. And the human driver suddenly hits vast increases in insurance rate as the robo car owners leave that pool. Once it starts it will probably take less than 10 years for human drivers to be priced out of the car.

I don't know how it will actually develop. Everyone automates a little, than more than a lot, than fully. Or suddenly the truck world goes fully auto...and the technology trickles down to the personal. Or it comes up from taxi fleets in urban areas.

It is coming though. And I expect real implementations by 2020. Watch for the communication package. That one is likely to get retrofitted to the entire vehicle fleet. And it will happen in the next ten years.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:35 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
I feel this may most benefit cities that don't have an efficient mass transit system. The "run down" cities such as Detroit, Baltimore, Milwaukee, Memphis, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Buffalo may get some improvements, but their other problems may hold them back compared to the sunbelt and nicer, less run-down metros, and it doesn't have to be to a walkable city. Why would you need a walkable core when you can just hop in the car to go to the next destination? Many sunbelt cities will likely benefit from this, heavy traffic or not. California would be a nice test for this trend obviously, and if a success would be a boon for its economy and then could spread elsewhere.
Pittsburgh isn't run down pal..........

Old 02-06-2015, 07:24 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaq View Post
the technology is already here. google has cars that self drive in california. now Uber is opening a self driving car center in Pittsburgh. it's just a matter of fine tuning all of the details in the technology, and mass production. but there are cars that drive themselves now.
There's a few more hurdles than that. Mostly that they don't really work in rain or snow because it interferes with the LIDAR systems. Which is why the only ones seriously under commercial development now are manual cars which can optionally be put into automatic mode.

That said, it's only a matter of time until this is fixed. Once it is, it's mostly about getting the cost down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
We really going to have to have a discussion on what to do with the unemployed drivers in the future.
All the unemployed everyone. Computers are basically totally eliminating call centers right now. Robots are moving into jobs as varied as logistics, pharmacy tech, and burger flipping. I've seen estimates that up to 50% of current jobs will be automated in the next twenty years. Even if the number is half as many, that will be a huge social transition from America. We'll likely have to move away from the ideal that we could ever create enough jobs to employ everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
You are missing the avalanche effect. As soon as the robo cars get enough presence they are going to show an accident rate 10 or 20% of the human driven vehicle. And the human driver suddenly hits vast increases in insurance rate as the robo car owners leave that pool. Once it starts it will probably take less than 10 years for human drivers to be priced out of the car.
Robo cars should lower everyone's insurance premiums, as human drivers will be less likely to hit robotic cars. The only reason insurance rates could go up is if the insurance companies decide they want to kill manual driving and raise rates to make it uncompetitive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.