Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2015, 05:17 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious here, but when you are looking at relocating...how much does a good career opportunity factor into that decision for you?

I just turned 25 recently, and have just come back to the States after being gone for quite a while. After having already done extensive traveling and all that stuff, I'm looking to lay down roots somewhere. I'm looking at re-joining the company I used to work for, but they are only in 6 states in the same region of the US...with the majority of those locations being in my home state.

So I've been looking at places I could move to that are within those areas, places I could be happy. And I have definitely narrowed it down. Because the reality is, living in this area of the US and working for that company represents my best chance of making serious money at least in the next 5 years or so. So I want to do what's smart, and likely will, but then part of me also just wants to move to the type of place I want to live in...regardless of job opportunities. But as I'm getting older (ha!), I also realize that the best place to live is where you have a good quality of life. But I also just want to make sure I'm living somewhere I can be happy.

What about you? Does job opportunities tie you to a certain area of the US? Or if you want to move somewhere, do you let nothing get in the way of that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 05:45 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
For me, availability of jobs in my field certainly does matter when choosing a place to live. What's the point of living somewhere if you won't be making enough money to live a decent quality of life? Personally, I would not move anywhere that doesn't have plenty of jobs that I'm qualified for, unless I had a job lined up first. In my case scenario, in a few months, I will be moving to a new place that does have plenty of jobs in my field. Unfortunately, it's just a necessary hurdle. But even with that said, there are still plenty of places to choose from, at least in my field. My field has jobs ALL over the country (corporate tax accounting); some places more than others. For example, I cannot move to Orlando with no job lined up. It would be a disaster. There's just not enough job postings there compared to the size of the population of the metro area. Tampa, however, does have plenty of jobs for me relative to the population though, for example.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:53 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,654,825 times
FWIW, supermarket companies tend to bounce around managers like tennis balls. I would know, too -- my brother works in management at a major grocery store chain in the Northeast. So if you're planning to work for Publix in a management capacity, you might be able to start off in a place you'd like to live (e.g., Fort Lauderdale or Orlando), but you probably won't remain in that location beyond 2-3 years, especially if you're a hard worker, determined to advance in the corporation, and aren't college-educated.

I will have you know my brother isn't college-educated, but he's a very hard worker and very driven, so that's what has got him this far. However, he's at the whim of the corporation and has been bounced around many times to both new and underperforming stores all over the region. I'm not saying the same thing will happen to you, but if you want to earn some serious cash in that industry, you better be comfortable with the idea of being reassigned to an underperforming store in Jacksonville or a new store in Nashville. If not, go back to school.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:29 AM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
I think a place where one has connections is important when choosing a place to live.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:45 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I think a place where one has connections is important when choosing a place to live.
It's certainly helpful, but not necessary at all. People should not limit their desired choices of places to live based on who they know in the area. People should pursue where THEY want to live themselves, regardless if they know anyone there. And personally, I have never, ever -- not even once -- gotten a job through networking or knowing someone. 100% of my jobs have been gotten through recruiters or direct application or some sort of mixture of that. Networking is overrated IMO, and doesn't necessarily mean that you will be successful or happy in a role that was obtained through networking. Getting a job through recruitment or direct application also allows you to tap into a completely new network once you're hired and meeting new coworkers.

But of course, it's best to stick with an all of the above approach, inclusive of networking, recruiters and direct application.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:04 PM

27,543 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I'm just curious here, but when you are looking at relocating...how much does a good career opportunity factor into that decision for you?
Very highly for me. That's a major reason why I live where I do.

I can't imagine relocating anywhere that doesn't have great career opportunities in my field. What would be the point?

Old 02-18-2015, 09:34 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times
Yes, it's the main motivating factor.

I could never work outside the US if I expected to be paid well.

I've really never just picked up a map, thrown a tack and said "I must move there!". I've traveled a lot domestic and intl and seen a lot of places, but ultimately career is my compass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.