Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US City Looks Bigger Than It Actually Is?
Portland, Maine 6 3.64%
Providence, Rhode Island 11 6.67%
Hartford, Connecticut 18 10.91%
Rochester, New York 3 1.82%
Newark, New Jersey 10 6.06%
Wilmington, Delaware 29 17.58%
Richmond, Virginia 19 11.52%
Columbia, South Carolina 1 0.61%
Madison, Wisconsin 2 1.21%
Tulsa, Oklahoma 10 6.06%
Little Rock, Arkansas 8 4.85%
Salt Lake City, Utah 20 12.12%
Birmingham, Alabama 8 4.85%
Other - Comment 20 12.12%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 09:21 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padajo View Post
Im also gonna select NOLA. When I visited, I was shocked at how small the population was.
NOLA's skyline was raised when it was a city of 600k and a metro area larger as well. I really don't think New Orleans city pop is a good size metric for it post Katrina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 09:33 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
It is not about "skylines". It is about street vibrancy.

I just visited Lisbon, Portugal. With a metro population of 2.8 million, it feels bigger than most American cities with much larger population, such as Boston, Seattle, Washington DC, Atlanta, Phoenix, Dallas, Miami etc. It feels as big as San Francisco.

American cities almost always appear to be smaller than what their population says (maybe except NYC), and that includes vibrant cities based on American standard such as Boston and San Francisco. When most of the residents live away from the city center and spend most of their time in the suburbs either fixing their suburban homes or doing their suburban things, instead of walking, shopping, dinning, drinking in the city center itself, of course the city feels smaller.

Even Chicago feels smaller than Madrid. The hustle-bustle of downtown dies out really fast.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:22 PM

707 posts, read 749,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I have always thought ABQ's skyline matches it's urban size well.
It doesn't, ABQ metro has almost 2 million people. The skyline actually matches what the soils in the valley will let you build.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:57 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy771 View Post
Not really Cincy is just right. Louisville feels much bigger imo.
I agree that Louisville feels a lot larger than comparable metros, though I still think Cincinnati's entrance from the south is far more impressive. In Louisville's case topography forces the core area to be dense, there are 900k people in just in the core part of the flood plain (an area with maybe 300 sq miles), which is way more than Charlotte or even Atlanta despite the overall metro being much smaller. I-65 cuts through the edge of downtown and literally winds around 20 story buildings. I-65 south of downtown is also massive, up to 18 lanes across in one spot.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:21 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,251,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehkou View Post
It doesn't, ABQ metro has almost 2 million people. The skyline actually matches what the soils in the valley will let you build.
Umm... the ABQ metro is about 900K. The entire STATE of New Mexico has about 2 million people.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehkou View Post

The state of New Mexico itself has about 2.1million people so i'm not sure where you're getting that "almost 2million" number. Albuquerque's MSA has a land area larger than the state of New Jersey with a population over 900,000. If you include it's CSA which is gigantic in land size you have 1,150,000 people according to estimates, included in that is the city of Las Vegas which is 120 miles away. To me that's disengenuous and selective math to make the city look bigger.

In the case of Albuquerque urban population (750,000) is a far better metric for how big it actually is. It's sky matches every other desert southwest city which are under built from a height standpoint and often lack vibrancy.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:07 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,251,837 times
Phoenix is basically a much larger version of ABQ. For a city with 1.5M (and that's just city proper) its skyline is absolutely pitiful (I know that there are height restrictions due to the proximity of the airport, but still...)

There are cities 1/3 its size that have far more impressive skylines.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Phoenix is basically a much larger version of ABQ. For a city with 1.5M (and that's just city proper) its skyline is absolutely pitiful (I know that there are height restrictions due to the proximity of the airport, but still...)

There are cities 1/3 its size that have far more impressive skylines.
Phoenix has a decent number of high rises when you had in uptown. But you're right it's pretty pitiful. The Airport height restrictions are only a small excuse. Phoenix's biggest problem is that the bat s*** crazy native Arizonans suffer emotional collapse and will stop at nothing to prevent anything of real significance being built in the city. They abhor and prevent change at all costs. There have been a number of cool buildings with actual height proposed over the years, and that small minority make the fight not worth it for the developer. I have found that the same type of people do the same thing in Tucson, locking it's core into some of the countries finest mediocrity as well.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:08 PM

707 posts, read 749,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
i'm not sure where you're getting that "almost 2million" number
Whoops That's the population of my state. May seem like a lot but keep in mind New Mexico is big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Umm... the ABQ metro is about 900K. The entire STATE of New Mexico has about 2 million people.
Right that's what I was thinking of. The metro as its known here stands at 1.1M. That's about 53% of the entire population of the state and rapidly growing!

Old 07-27-2015, 09:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,037 times
Little Rock always impresses me while driving over the I-30 bridge. Esp. now with the newly added buildings in the River Market district.

Last edited by RussVegas; 07-27-2015 at 09:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.