Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 10:13 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post

and their worst US Interstate is...

I-95 Miami to the Maine/New Brunswick border; reason being something to the effect of a broken link around Philadelphia, multiple toll booths, and congestion.
The broken link around Philly is a good thing.

It helped NJ + Delaware connect their 2 turnpikes via Delaware Memorial Bridge. Taking 100,000 daily vehicles a day off I-95 Thru the Philly region. I-95 in the Philly region is a parking lot as it is, everything is so old + narrow . Could not even imagine any more vehicles let alone 100,000 a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 10:32 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,614,322 times
Quote:
Another fun fact about I-95, the only part that has a 75 mph speed limit is north of Bangor, Maine in Aroostook County on its last stretch to the Canadian border. Maine also currently has the only interstate highway east of the Mississippi River that has a 75 mph speed limit.

Speed limits in the United States by jurisdiction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Ohio Turnpike had a 75mph speed limit prior to 1974.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:55 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,966,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Was my favorite travel from Western NC to points NE. For many years, it was that or 95, ...I took 81 as any sane person would !
I used to take 95 for trips up to the northeast, but after I discovered 81 I'm never going back! The extra couple hours are well worth it for the beauty.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:35 PM

10,748 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
The broken link around Philly is a good thing.

It helped NJ + Delaware connect their 2 turnpikes via Delaware Memorial Bridge. Taking 100,000 daily vehicles a day off I-95 Thru the Philly region. I-95 in the Philly region is a parking lot as it is, everything is so old + narrow . Could not even imagine any more vehicles let alone 100,000 a day.
I like PA and I love Philly, but yes Philly certainly does have some pretty craptacular highways. They should have just continued I-95 over the Delaware Bridge on to the NJ Tpk and ran the existing I-95 from Wilmington to Philly as a spur highway. Pittsburgh has all spur highways in the city and Boston diverted I-95 to go around the city. But I'm sure bureaucratic sway in the day between the turnpike authorities and politicians had to route I-95 through the city making it the complicated hot mess that it is today. Though with the new PA Tpk link creating a direct allignment for a continuation of I-95 betweeb NYC and Philly, I think PennDOT ought to figure out a way to improve capacity on I-95 through the city and fix some other interchanges.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:43 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,539,156 times
My biggest gripe with I-90 is the NY stretch.

Visually it literally goes through the most boring part of the state, skipping almost all of the hills and mountains and remaining on the flattest land available in upstate NY.

Also the tolls. Man, those weren't supposed to stay.

Going through NY state and want something to look at? Take the southern tier expy! It goes straight through the northern end of Appalachia and good God it is some of the best views upstate NY has to offer.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:13 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,799,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
No love for I-75 from Miami, FL to Sault St. Marie, MI and the Canadian border? It has its share of nice scenery in Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Michigan (north of Saginaw). Also, it's tough to beat that trek over the Mackinac Bridge. Cities include Miami, Tampa, Atlanta, Chattanooga, Knoxville, Lexington, Cincinnati, and Detroit.

I 75 can be a real pain. However there are several scenic stretches. The states of Kentucky and Tennesse, especially the KY/TN border is the most scenic, then there is the Mackinaw straights area and north Michigan. These two bright spots are an exception to a very long boring highway. The state of Ohio seems about 700 miles long and crossing it is something like being waterboarded. South Georgia and north Florida are pretty dull as well. Then there is the fun of passing through Atlanta, legendary traffic problems. The highlight of any I-75 trip is the Detroit Michigan section, Americas own third world city. I have spent more time on this road than most people, and I try to do it in the nighttime as to avoid all the traffic, construction, overaggressive law enforcement (ohio) and of course the largely ugly scenery.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:02 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,766,739 times
I live off of "Hootie Highway" (77) which ranked 31st.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:35 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
I like PA and I love Philly, but yes Philly certainly does have some pretty craptacular highways. They should have just continued I-95 over the Delaware Bridge on to the NJ Tpk and ran the existing I-95 from Wilmington to Philly as a spur highway. Pittsburgh has all spur highways in the city and Boston diverted I-95 to go around the city. But I'm sure bureaucratic sway in the day between the turnpike authorities and politicians had to route I-95 through the city making it the complicated hot mess that it is today. Though with the new PA Tpk link creating a direct allignment for a continuation of I-95 betweeb NYC and Philly, I think PennDOT ought to figure out a way to improve capacity on I-95 through the city and fix some other interchanges.

95 is actually being completely rebuilt from border to border in PA I believe the work has been ongoing for a while now, 95 is elevated in the city from the Ben franklin bridge to about Cottman Ave its a prety significant endeavor

Also the 95 connection to the turnpike is well underway as well, new overpass/connectors are starting to go in

Old 09-09-2015, 10:30 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,736,528 times
Quote:
I think PennDOT ought to figure out a way to improve capacity on I-95 through the city and fix some other interchanges.
PennDOT is in the process of reconstructing I-95 all the way through Pennsylvania, and this includes adding capacity. They're working on the segment north of Center City first (including the direct connection with the Pennsylvania Turnpike), and they'll be working on the segment south of Center City later. Both segments have their challenges. I-95 is an elevated highway for about three miles miles north of Center City, and south of Center City is a narrow high-level bridge near the Naval Yard that will probably have to be replaced. There are also plans for major reconfiguration of interchanges with I-476 and U.S. 322 south of Philadelphia International Airport. All these current and future projects on I-95 add up to one enormous and expensive undertaking.

By the way, it would have been a tremendous slap in the face for both Philadelphia and Pennsylvania if I-95 was rerouted onto the New Jersey Turnpike, considering it was NIMBYs in New Jersey who prevented I-95 from being completed in the first place.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:34 AM

977 posts, read 567,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Tolls were removed from both the Richmond-Petersburg turnpike (I-95), and the Hampton Roads-Norfolk tunnel (I-64) in Virginia, at least 20 years ago. But I can't think of any other toll roads where that happened.
I-190 between Buffalo and Niagara Falls, NY used to have toll booths along the route in addition to the tolls on the Grand Island bridge. The bridge is still tolled, but the booths along the route are no longer there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.