Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2007, 09:00 PM

3 posts, read 8,793 times

Advertisements

From Purcellville to Herndon, Mapquest says 34 minutes/27 miles. Assuming I take the toll road and have easy access to/from the toll road, driving during rush hour....what is a "standard" time I could expect?

Also, Round Hill to Herndon says 36 minutes/29 miles. Is that time accurate?

We originally started our house search around the Sterling area, but decided we might like to go a bit further out to get more house for our money. We don't want to go too far out that we spend all day in the car! I can deal with the occasional commute time of an hour when traffic is really bad (accidents, etc.), but for the standard every-day commute, I'd like to keep it less than 45 min. if possible.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 05:05 AM

504 posts, read 1,212,753 times
I compared Mapquest with Maps.google.com using my commute. Google seems to be more realistic during rush hour.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:35 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,139 times
No, Mapquest times are accurate only during non-rush hour times. I don't live in the area you mentioned so I can't tell you how much to add but I'm guessing you'll have to add quite a bit. I'm sure there are other posters who can estimate how much.

Old 12-23-2007, 03:50 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,978 times
I'm not completely sure either but A LOT of commuters come from western Loudoun to jobs in Fairfax County. I think its safe to say you probably won't make it in 45 minutes on a regular day, an hour would probably be more realistic (in peak rush that is). The general rule in this area is to take your miles and multiply them by at least 2 and that should give you a fairly accurate drive time. I'm sure there are some Loudouners on here that can give you a more accurate time but I know it takes several people at work an hour to make it to Tysons from Leesburg which is similar mileage.

Old 12-23-2007, 04:59 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,394,538 times
I've found that rush hour commuting times are generally at least 1.5 times the non-rush hour times listed on Mapquest, and oftentimes, twice as long. There are exceptions of course. If right be the Toll Road, you can shave some time off. I'm not too familiar with coming from Purcellville or Round Hill but I would guess both would run 45-60 minutes.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:01 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,888,220 times
don't go out as far as Round Hill. no shopping etc... you have to go to Purceville for everything.
Don't go out to Luckettes either, traffic on the 15 bypass is a nightmare! plus no shopping either. you have to come into Leesburg ofr everything.

Stay with Leesburg and Purceville. On the toll rd from purceville to Herndon would be about 45 min avg. 30-40 minutes on good days and probably summer. But it gets expensive. That is the most expensive section of the road. (Leesburg to Dullas) $3.50 each way. another .50 (i think) into Herndon.

Route 7 is give or take depending on time....at 6:30am you could get into Herndon from Leesburg in 30minutes so Purceville will probably be 40 min.
sometimes you get lucky and get all the lights just right....30minutes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia