Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 07:03 AM

312 posts, read 481,572 times

Advertisements

I love that. I like local culture. I like a place where the people who live there were born there and went to school there. People call it provincial and insular but I prefer it greatly to the "young professional" monoculture.

Cities where the question is: "where did you go to high school?" And even in the trendiest of establishments 99% of the patrons were born in the city or at least in the suburbs of the city.

I know small towns are like that, but what about any cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 07:09 AM

545 posts, read 1,100,158 times
Pittsburg down to a t. but that's not good.. because if the city isn't drawing transplants/international people, then there probably aren't many reasons to move to this city. meaning the economy, weather, or other factors are unfavorable. and the pittsburgh metro has been shrinking for a while.. i think it's starting to change now with more migrants though

Old 03-04-2015, 07:39 AM

312 posts, read 481,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaq View Post
Pittsburg down to a t. but that's not good.. because if the city isn't drawing transplants/international people, then there probably aren't many reasons to move to this city. meaning the economy, weather, or other factors are unfavorable. and the pittsburgh metro has been shrinking for a while.. i think it's starting to change now with more migrants though
See I heard that the Pitts is gentrifying and the economy has gone from blue collar to eds and meds. Lots of old school yinzer neighborhoods filled with going professionals

Work wise, the economy means nothing (job climate) for me. I fix peoples houses and redo their flooring
freelance

I am all over the place relocation wise but finding a place that isn't transplant heavy is important even if the place is a bit poorer, I tend to get along with people who are blue collar anyhow

Old 03-04-2015, 07:56 AM

10 posts, read 12,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampdown69 View Post
I love that. I like local culture. I like a place where the people who live there were born there and went to school there. People call it provincial and insular but I prefer it greatly to the "young professional" monoculture.

Cities where the question is: "where did you go to high school?" And even in the trendiest of establishments 99% of the patrons were born in the city or at least in the suburbs of the city.

I know small towns are like that, but what about any cities?
Cincinnati is known for this. Except they'll ask, "where did you go to school?" and if you answer with your college they'll look at you weird.

For years P&G has said that the 2nd hardest thing for them to do is to recruit people to move to Cincinnati from other cities. The hardest thing for them to do is to get people to leave the headquarters for a branch office.

It's odd because there are a lot of transplants in the Eastern and Northern suburbs of Cincinnati. The neighborhood I grew up in was probably 50%-75% born in other areas of the country.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:00 AM

542 posts, read 1,682,658 times
Columbus Ohio is a large city with few transplants with the exception of the part-time residents of OSU.

Other cities with fewer transplants include Jacksonville, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Detroit.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:22 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,693 times
The city I live in now (Birmingham AL metro) is very much like that. Other than being a destination for Katrina victims, it doesn't have a lot of pull, even amongst the remainder of the state. My wife is a native of suburban Birmingham, she's lived in Shelby County her entire life (save for college at the U of A) and just about all of her friends and family are in the same boat (i.e. living within 30 miles or so of where they grew up). That fact is apparent because it's a pretty stagnant metro (it's more inching than growing).

I grew up in suburban Des Moines (like Birmingham, a mid-sized city though DSM is more on the lower end and B'ham is toward the higher end). Unlike Birmingham, DSM is a major pull for rural Iowans throughout the state. Yes, you still have hundreds of thousands of people who live within 30 miles of where they grew up, but it's not to the same extent of Birmingham. It also has a bit more of a foreign draw as well (a very sizable foreign-born Hispanic community, as well as being a destination for Africans [particularly Sudanese], Southeast Asians, and ex-Yugoslavians throughout the 1990s). It's one of the fastest growing Midwestern metros, but it's also at the expense of the rural portions of the state (especially the western part).

Neither city draws a ton from out of state, both are more likely to get a native from places like Mexico or Vietnam than someone two states over.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:35 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Milwaukee, St. Louis, Kansas City, Memphis, Cleveland, Cincinnati, etc.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:13 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,517,044 times
I think I remember reading somewhere that the answer is Buffalo. The suburb of Cheektowaga, I believe, is something like 92% native New Yorker.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:27 PM

5,000 posts, read 9,146,069 times
New Orleans and im afraid that if this city was flooded with transplants it could loose its charecter.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:58 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
New Orleans and im afraid that if this city was flooded with transplants it could loose its charecter.
That's somewhat changed post-Katrina although the city isn't being inundated with transplants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.