Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Uncomfortable Summer Weather
Brownsville, TX 14 5.04%
Columbia, SC 14 5.04%
Ft. Meyers, FL 10 3.60%
Houston 59 21.22%
Jackson, MS 13 4.68%
Laredo, TX 8 2.88%
Las Vegas 5 1.80%
Miami 25 8.99%
New Orleans 28 10.07%
Oklahoma City 6 2.16%
Palm Springs, CA area 5 1.80%
Phoenix 70 25.18%
Yuma, AZ 21 7.55%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 07:36 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,626,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
All the coastal South cities on this poll, like Houston, New Orleans, and Miami, have too much of the coastal sea-breezes, frequent thunderstorms, verdant vegetation, lots of puffy clouds in the sky, during summer to feel uncomfortable at all. Those cities, along with the rest of the coastal South, are subtropical paradises (tropical paradise for Miami).
Being from the Miami area I can tell you that it's never had a recorded temperature above 99 F degrees which is also rare. Miami Beach & Miami proper are along the coast so they get the sea breezes. They average in the upper 80's to mid 90's in the summers and then the afternoon showers roll in from the Everglades every day which makes the temperatures drop by almost 10 degrees after one of those torrential downpours.
The worst thing about Miami weather in the summer is the high humidity. I would figure Houston is worse since they are 50 miles inland from the Gulf. Also I have lived in Orlando and it's weather in the Summer is horrid with no sea breezes and temps about 10 degrees warmer than say the cities on the coast to the east of it. Word of advice? Don't book a trip to Disney World between June through the end of September because you will bake!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 10:18 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,925,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
I would have to strongly disagree with this post. All three cities are awful during summer months. Day time highs 89 and above coupled with high humidity is very uncomfortable. You literally have to live right on the ocean to feel a sea breeze, and most of Houston's metro is too far inland to benefit from a breeze from the ocean. After the thunderstorms are done the sun returns to evaporate all this moisture into the atmosphere, and then you have your public sauna.
And I will disagree with your disagreement.

Houston's metro has plenty of areas that touch the coast, along Galveston Bay, and along the Gulf, such as Clear Lake, Kemah, Nassau Bay, and Galveston, and they all receive plentiful strong sea-breezes, and average summer highs in the areas do not go above 89F in the warmest month. The rest of the Houston metro might be too inland to receive the really powerful sea-breezes, but even then, much of the metro still receives a bit of breeze, enough circulation of the air to induce comfort.

A well developed, soaking thunderstorm, complete with the sea-breeze front, would refreshingly quench and cool the air, with long-lasting effects all the way through sun-down. Some of the most refreshing air I ever felt was after a summer thunderstorm. A quick drive-by shower, where it rains for 5 mins, then the sun comes up, would have more of the "sauna" effects you describe; the true soaker thunderstorms, however, do not have such effects. Because of how well developed they are, such thunderstorms would keep the sky cloudy long after they are rained out.

You never hear this nonsense about "uncomfort" come up upon discussions involving tropical islands, which have heat and humidity year-round, yet when talking about the South's weather, people always talk about this magical "uncomfort." Very strange.

Old 05-23-2015, 05:17 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,904,112 times
Quote:
And I will disagree with your disagreement.

Houston's metro has plenty of areas that touch the coast, along Galveston Bay, and along the Gulf, such as Clear Lake, Kemah, Nassau Bay, and Galveston, and they all receive plentiful strong sea-breezes, and average summer highs in the areas do not go above 89F in the warmest month. The rest of the Houston metro might be too inland to receive the really powerful sea-breezes, but even then, much of the metro still receives a bit of breeze, enough circulation of the air to induce comfort.

A well developed, soaking thunderstorm, complete with the sea-breeze front, would refreshingly quench and cool the air, with long-lasting effects all the way through sun-down. Some of the most refreshing air I ever felt was after a summer thunderstorm. A quick drive-by shower, where it rains for 5 mins, then the sun comes up, would have more of the "sauna" effects you describe; the true soaker thunderstorms, however, do not have such effects. Because of how well developed they are, such thunderstorms would keep the sky cloudy long after they are rained out.

You never hear this nonsense about "uncomfort" come up upon discussions involving tropical islands, which have heat and humidity year-round, yet when talking about the South's weather, people always talk about this magical "uncomfort." Very strange.
This is a straw man argument. Galveston from June through September has high temperatures in the high 80s and lows in the high 70s, which are the wettest and most humid months of the year. Galveston has very high due points during summer months. Again if you live right on the beach or a Bay city like La Porte you may get some relief from sea breeze but the same can't be said for Sugar land, Missouri City and every thing going north. I've spent enough time visiting my ex girlfriend family in Houston to know that it is hot, humid, and uncomfortable during the summer months. The same can be said for anywhere in the deep south, we are hot and humid for about four months out of the year. Hot and sticky is uncomfortable for most people, even if you were born and raised in that climate.

Tropical Islands are surrounded by water on all sides which is a big difference from sitting on a ridge, with water on one side. You will get 0 NE trade winds coming out of the Houston Metro, as opposed to a true tropical island in the Pacific. Big difference!!!!!

Old 05-23-2015, 09:37 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
All of them sound awful for my tastes.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:52 AM

389 posts, read 596,531 times
Houston native and current resident checking in. I previously lived in Phoenix for several years, and used to spend summers in Palm Springs visiting grandparents growing up. Phoenix and Palm Springs easily have worse summers than Houston. Humidity or not, once it reaches a certain temperature (for me it would be somewhere around 100) life becomes uncomfortable.

I actually preferred the monsoon season in Phoenix to their dry season, as the temperatures would be around 100 as opposed to 110. I thought it was so weird because everyone would complain about the humidity during monsoon season but it was way more comfortable than dry season. But during dry season, your car gets so hot inside, that you could fry an egg on the dashboard (or so I've heard). I remember sitting in the car with the air conditioner on, not driving because I would feel lightheaded. I literally had to cool off before driving away. You could burn your hands on the seatbelt, shifter, steering wheel, buttons, etc. The car's air conditioning couldn't keep up with the heat either; you could run into a convenient store or drycleaners for 30 seconds and the car would be hot when you returned. I also recall hot water coming of the cold water faucets.

Houston's summers are cakewalk compared to that. Even with the moistness and humidity. Plus our winters here are as warm Phoenix, without the triple digit summers. I swear that the whole dry heat thing in Arizona was made up by realtors and chamber of tourism. I'm sure some of the Arizona homers will be here any moment to try and refute this...

Last edited by SK115; 05-23-2015 at 10:04 AM..

Old 05-23-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
This is a straw man argument. Galveston from June through September has high temperatures in the high 80s and lows in the high 70s, which are the wettest and most humid months of the year. Galveston has very high due points during summer months. Again if you live right on the beach or a Bay city like La Porte you may get some relief from sea breeze but the same can't be said for Sugar land, Missouri City and every thing going north. I've spent enough time visiting my ex girlfriend family in Houston to know that it is hot, humid, and uncomfortable during the summer months. The same can be said for anywhere in the deep south, we are hot and humid for about four months out of the year. Hot and sticky is uncomfortable for most people, even if you were born and raised in that climate.
It's clear that you have no knowledge on what a straw-man argument actually is. Quit just throwing words around.

Galveston's summer temps, high 80s for highs, and 70s for lows, are literally no different than that seen in many tropical island paradises of the world. All the following tropical islands are quite wet and humid (year-round too):
Seychelles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Kingston, Jamaica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Maldives - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Zanzibar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nassau, Bahamas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Guam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Samoa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Places in the South right along the immediate coast, like Galveston, Miami, etc definitely get sea-breezes every bit as refreshing and powerful as the tropical trade winds. Even areas like Houston, New Orleans, and Orlando, which are a little bit inland, but still in proximity to the coast, still get enough of the sea-breeze air movement to induce comfort, even if the breezes are not as strong as they are on the immediate coast. Inland cities in the South don't get sea-breezes, but they do have lower humidity, allowing for cooler night temps, and they still have the cooling thunderstorms, and lush vegetation, as on the coast.

Do you think Bangkok, Thailand is a comfortable climate? How about Panama City, Panama, or Manaus, Brazil?

Bangkok - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Panama City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Manaus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The majority of people on Earth live in areas that feature heat and humidity. Thus, the majority of people on Earth are equipped with the natural knowledge, as well as means and methods, of dealing with such climates, to make it more comfortable:

Quote:
Tropical Islands are surrounded by water on all sides which is a big difference from sitting on a ridge, with water on one side. You will get 0 NE trade winds coming out of the Houston Metro, as opposed to a true tropical island in the Pacific. Big difference!!!!!
Trade Winds do affect the US South:
Trade wind - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With the Gulf and South Atlantic, the South has two large bodies of water to moderate the climate, through sea-breeze, and lots of rainy, tropical air-masses that bring the frequent summer thunderstorms to the region. The ridge of high-pressure you speak of is the Azores/Bermuda High, which steers such maritime influence towards the Southeast US. So even if Trade Winds are absent, the South still gets strong sea-breezes nevertheless, and more inland than you think.

Such configurations ensure a dominate maritime influence in the climate of the Southeastern US, even if not on an island out at sea. Its the same way coastal California is so ocean-moderated, even if water is only from one side; atmospheric configurations ensure the ocean winds blow towards the region.

Old 05-23-2015, 02:17 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,795,503 times
I spent a part of my summer in New York and New Jersey, and while the wasn't absolutely horrible, it wasn't the best. It was so dang humid. Thought I was dying. I still had a good time, though.

Old 05-23-2015, 02:37 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,904,112 times
Quote:
It's clear that you have no knowledge on what a straw-man argument actually is. Quit just throwing words around.

Galveston's summer temps, high 80s for highs, and 70s for lows, are literally no different than that seen in many tropical island paradises of the world. All the following tropical islands are quite wet and humid (year-round too):
Seychelles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Kingston, Jamaica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Maldives - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Zanzibar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nassau, Bahamas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Guam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Samoa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Places in the South right along the immediate coast, like Galveston, Miami, etc definitely get sea-breezes every bit as refreshing and powerful as the tropical trade winds. Even areas like Houston, New Orleans, and Orlando, which are a little bit inland, but still in proximity to the coast, still get enough of the sea-breeze air movement to induce comfort, even if the breezes are not as strong as they are on the immediate coast. Inland cities in the South don't get sea-breezes, but they do have lower humidity, allowing for cooler night temps, and they still have the cooling thunderstorms, and lush vegetation, as on the coast.

Do you think Bangkok, Thailand is a comfortable climate? How about Panama City, Panama, or Manaus, Brazil?

Bangkok - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Panama City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Manaus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The majority of people on Earth live in areas that feature heat and humidity. Thus, the majority of people on Earth are equipped with the natural knowledge, as well as means and methods, of dealing with such climates, to make it more comfortable:

Trade Winds do affect the US South:
Trade wind - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With the Gulf and South Atlantic, the South has two large bodies of water to moderate the climate, through sea-breeze, and lots of rainy, tropical air-masses that bring the frequent summer thunderstorms to the region. The ridge of high-pressure you speak of is the Azores/Bermuda High, which steers such maritime influence towards the Southeast US. So even if Trade Winds are absent, the South still gets strong sea-breezes nevertheless, and more inland than you think.

Such configurations ensure a dominate maritime influence in the climate of the Southeastern US, even if not on an island out at sea. Its the same way coastal California is so ocean-moderated, even if water is only from one side; atmospheric configurations ensure the ocean winds blow towards the region.
It is quite obvious that you have never been to Florida or just simply delusional. Orlando of all places should not be in any discussion regarding a sea breeze. Try Disneyworld in August and let me know how that works out for you. I lived in South Florida for 9 year, and unless you live right on A1A the sea breeze talk is quite laughable. In South Florida anything west of US1 getting a sea breeze relief is no more than a pipedream. C-D seem to be full of people that like to make up stuff. I have first hand experience with every city you named and can tell you that during the height of summer it is misleading to tell people that humidity is comfortable. Trying to compare the Gulf to an island surrounded by water is BS. Try going to West Florida where the bath water has no waves and even more sticky than the Atlantic side. New Orleans ,Tampa and Orlando do not benefit from this imaginary sea breeze you speak of. Remember the majority of the people that live in these metros don't live in a beach house, or condo on the water. Inland is where the majority lives and in July it is quite unpleasant.

Old 05-23-2015, 03:56 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
I'm just seeing this revived old poll for the first time (as far as I can recall) and it has some glaring poll defects. First, you have three south Texas cities splitting the vote, Second, on almost every summer day, Dallas is hotter than Houston, both day and night, but Dallas is not listed.

And finally, as for the response, I live right in the Houston-Brownsville-Laredo triangle, and I find it just fine here in the summer. In fact, this past winter was exorbitantly cold, and I couldn't wait for summer to come back. Summer here is quite short, here it is Memorial Day and I haven't turned on my AC yet (I neeed to do that soon, to make sure it doesn't need servicing), and I rarely run it after mid-September.

Old 05-23-2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
It is quite obvious that you have never been to Florida or just simply delusional. Orlando of all places should not be in any discussion regarding a sea breeze. Try Disneyworld in August and let me know how that works out for you. I lived in South Florida for 9 year, and unless you live right on A1A the sea breeze talk is quite laughable. In South Florida anything west of US1 getting a sea breeze relief is no more than a pipedream. C-D seem to be full of people that like to make up stuff. I have first hand experience with every city you named and can tell you that during the height of summer it is misleading to tell people that humidity is comfortable. Trying to compare the Gulf to an island surrounded by water is BS. Try going to West Florida where the bath water has no waves and even more sticky than the Atlantic side. New Orleans ,Tampa and Orlando do not benefit from this imaginary sea breeze you speak of. Remember the majority of the people that live in these metros don't live in a beach house, or condo on the water. Inland is where the majority lives and in July it is quite unpleasant.
My friend, I have lived in many tropical/subtropical locales around the world, from South Brazil, to South Africa, to Seychelles. I have even hiked the deep jungles of Sumatra. Now I am living in the Southern US. And from that experience, I will tell you that hot, humid climates will only be uncomfortable if you aren't making the necessary adjustments, be it from clothing, to the architectural design.

Orlando does get sea-breeze. It won't be strong like Miami's, but the breeze is still there, enough for movement of the air around you to occur, so that it won't be stagnant and oppressive. Same goes for any area in the South close to, but not quite on, the coast. Also, no matter how warm the water may be in parts of the South, it will always be cool relative to the land, and thus a sea-breeze results that cools those parts.

Do you know what City Data also has alot of? Posters who lack the the slightest ability to grasp even the most simple of concepts; the South may not be an island out at sea, but because the dominant wind direction of the region comes from the Gulf/Atlantic, the climate has the general maritime influence, with all the moderating effects of the ocean, including sea-breeze along the coast, and tropical-style thunderstorms even into well inland areas of the region. Therefore, conditions in the region during summer won't be that different, if at all, than conditions on many tropical islands/locations.

Trying to say that humidity is always uncomfortable is even more misleading:
Weather weenies prefer dew point over relative humidity, and you should too! - The Washington Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.