Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 01:51 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times

Advertisements

Today the Confederate Flag represents less educated rural Whites across America. Most people flying or wearing one have no clue about US history relating to the Civil War and are just trying to look cool to other people in their demographic or too tick off Black people

Old 03-18-2015, 01:53 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,153,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Maryland wasn't apart of the confederacy and was not apart of Dixieland but I doubt you knew that like you didn't know what Mid-Atlantic meant either.
Smart guy, don't talk down to me, all you can do is talk up.

The only reason Maryland was not part of the confederacy was because Lincoln sent in the federal military and kept it from seceding, otherwise it would have. He did that to keep Washington DC, the capitol, tied to the north otherwise there would have been all sorts of problems.

But Dixie also includes states below the Mason Dixon (i.e Dixie smart guy), which is Maryland among others.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:55 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I was actually berated in Jackson over the fact I was from Georgia and we had changed our flag.
The irony is that we changed our flag back to the original confederate flag, not the St. Andrews Cross that we changed it to in 1956 in direct defiance to civil rights laws. Needless to say, I like the current flag better.

https://www.google.com/search?q=conf...ml%3B390%3B216

https://www.google.com/search?q=conf...%3B6912%3B4320

Old 03-18-2015, 02:34 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,351,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Smart guy, don't talk down to me, all you can do is talk up.

The only reason Maryland was not part of the confederacy was because Lincoln sent in the federal military and kept it from seceding, otherwise it would have. He did that to keep Washington DC, the capitol, tied to the north otherwise there would have been all sorts of problems.

But Dixie also includes states below the Mason Dixon (i.e Dixie smart guy), which is Maryland among others.
I am smart but I'm a female. Clearly you aren't so.....Nevermind.

Yeah I provided facts and all you have provided was an opinion. Doesn't matter what Lincoln did, Maryland still wasn't apart of the confederacy. You can't change history sorry not sorry. Clearly you didn't look at the link I provided, the official term for dixie refers to states in the confederacy. I may think the word central america includes Puerto Rico when in fact it does not. It's your opinion which is not a fact that has been proven by statistics. Go argue with the people who make the dictionary and thesaurus and tell them they're wrong.

PS: The talk up comment was a poor comeback.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:05 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
The last confederate flag that I've seen was on a pickup truck in PA.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:31 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,664 times
I'm sorry, but anyone flying the flag in a state that wasn't Confederate doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Looking at you, Pennsylvania.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:47 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Pennsylvania is surprisingly racist and redneck outside of the major cities....like southern redneck. People who you'd expect to be in Alabama or Mississippi.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:50 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I'm sorry, but anyone flying the flag in a state that wasn't Confederate doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Looking at you, Pennsylvania.
There are states that didn't join the Confederacy that had a good bit of Confederate sympathizers as they were slaves states (e.g., MO, KY, MD, etc.). So it makes some sense on that level.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:53 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
There are states that didn't join the Confederacy that had a good bit of Confederate sympathizers as they were slaves states (e.g., MO, KY, MD, etc.). So it makes some sense on that level.
Yeah, that's true, but Pennsylvania? I understand people use it as a "redneck symbol" but Lee was crushed at Gettysburg in Pennsylvania, a turning point in the war. Come on, people!

Old 03-19-2015, 06:59 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
If you're going to look at Pennsylvania, be sure also to look at the neighboring states of Delaware, New Jersey and Ohio, all of which scored even worse than Pennsylvania on a test of implicit association (covert racism) by white people.

And check out some of the places comedian Jesse Joyce found Confederate flags!

Those are just two examples. He also took a picture of a Confederate flag flying above a house in Michigan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Pennsylvania is surprisingly racist and redneck outside of the major cities....like southern redneck. People who you'd expect to be in Alabama or Mississippi.
Beaverton, OR: "If you go 10 miles out from Portland, or five miles out from Beaverton, you see them good-ol'-boys with redneck dirt pickups rocking Confederate flags, and it gets real racist..."

Clackamas County, OR: "I am commuting to Clackamas [County] every day now, just off [I-]205 and can't help but to notice that I've seen five or six (and they were on different cars) Confederate flags as bumper stickers or license plates (in addition to their normal Oregon plates)."

DuPage County, IL: "I have family in that part of DuPage County and have seen more than a few Confederate flags there. The best was the jacked-up pickup truck peppered with Confederate flag decals and the Stars and Bars flapping from a flagpole in the bed. Yes, in DuPage County."

Eastern Washington (state): "I have, however, seen the Confederate battle flag proudly being flown in eastern Washington quite frequently. Kind of funny. There must be some Southern sympathizers living in the Inter-Mountain West."

Eureka, CA: "Country people driving around with that hate flag (Confederate) posted on their vehicles..."

Extensive list of cities and towns in Oregon: "I have seen Confederate flag stuff in Eugene, Springfield, Corvallis, Salem, Cottage Grove, Junction City, Albany, etc., and that is from spending very little time in most of those cities."

Folsom, CA: "There are plenty of rednecks, pickup trucks, and even a rodeo in Folsom. I've seen more Confederate flags and bumper stickers than I care to count."

Granite Falls, WA: "When I think about Granite Falls I think of meth and Confederate flags."

Kankakee County, IL and Iroquois County, IL: "I didn't know having a Confederate flag in your front yard hanging from your porch was a Northern thing. First time I saw this in Illinois was in Kankakee County. Iroquois County I've seen the same thing."

Kennewick, WA: "One won't find a bunch of stereotypical gap-toothed Cletuses slinging racial slurs around the Tri[-Cities] (though one does see Confederate flag stickers on trucks, here and there)."

Lorain County, OH: "There are some people who would say there are a fair number of blue-collar workers, rednecks, hunters and the sprinkling of McMansions, mostly in Sheffield, Avon, Avon Lake and North Ridgeville. There is money, but some of the folks like to display the Confederate flag and drive pick up trucks."

Maple Valley, WA: "Black families in Maple Valley say they've experienced ugly racism, and Tahoma High [School] students recently wore Confederate flags to school."

Michigan: "Michigan is the only place in the North that I've seen a Confederate flag more than once."

New York, NY (Brooklyn): "Gerritsen Beach in Brooklyn is pretty safe but really in the middle of nowhere. You can find a house there for under $400K. But that's only if you want to have neighbors who forget they live in Brooklyn and like to put up Confederate flags in their front yard."

New York, NY (Staten Island): "For the first time in twenty years a black family moved in the block behind me. Today, down the block this family moved in and [there's] this huge Confederate flag in their garage. It's massive, covering the entire garage wall."

North exurban fringe of Indianapolis, IN: "Confederate flags were not uncommon or unheard of ... [in this] town [or] county...or bumper stickers."

Northern California: "I travel around Northern California frequently. I'm seeing the Confederate flag flown from homes, trucks quite often especially in rural areas. And I even see it in Carmichael or Fair Oaks." (First reply to original post above:) "Thanks for asking this question. I see them around Lincoln and Roseville."

Portland, OR: "The 'burbs are very conservative and you start seeing dirty-ass pickup trucks rocking Confederate flags like new sneakers once [you] go five miles out."

San Clemente, CA and Oceanside, CA: "I can say that I have definitely seen lifted trucks with Confederate flags in San Clemente and Oceanside when I was working in that area for about [a] year..."

San Diego County, CA: "I have seen enough Confederate Flags in East County to last a lifetime..."

San Jose, CA: "The three white [San Jose State University] roommates allegedly called their black roommate "three-fifths" and "fraction" and put up a Confederate flag in the campus suite they shared, [Santa Clara County Deputy District Attorney Erin] West said."

Shakopee, MN: "I never have seen so many Confederate flags in Minnesota in my life then when I lived in Shakopee."

South suburbs of Chicago, IL: "Steer clear of areas such as [Midlothian], Crestwood, Alsip. It's alot of racist tension in that area, I can recall seeing cars driving by with Confederate flags and crap like that."

Southeastern Ohio: "Confederate flags and [southeastern] Ohio fit together pretty well."

Southern Illinois: "You might see a few Confederate flags flying around here, but I think that's some kind of new signal that means 'meth can be purchased in this house'..."

Southwestern Ohio: "You do see a lot of Bible billboards -- especially fire and brimstone-y ones -- and Confederate flag decals in Southwestern Ohio, especially the rural parts."

Syracuse, NY: "Living just south of Syracuse I have discovered a few things: (1) Confederate flags fly proudly here. I find this very odd, since none of these people actually seem to be from any Southern states. In fact, they're from right here."

Thurston County, WA and Lewis County, WA: "I am from [North Carolina] but noticed a number of people in rural Thurston/Lewis Counties [talking] with more drawl than I ever had! It was almost as if they were trying to sound Southern. Often they would climb into their "rig" complete with lady silhouette mud flaps or a Confederate flag sticker. None of them had any ties to the South that I am aware of, it was just the 'proud to be redneck' thing."

Upstate New York: "Upstate New York can be very, very racist. My own family was. My brother flies the Confederate flag for corn's sake."

Warren County, OH: "Any county which includes a barn with a Confederate battle flag on the roof, and suburban sprawl catering to one certain segment of the population, is by definition "owned" by a particular political party."

Washington (state): "This thread was started by another member who didn't like me telling people I saw confederate battle flags in Washington."

Western and/or northern Michigan: "I've seen every bit as much hateful right-wing propaganda in western and northern Michigan as I've seen in the South. I even saw a Confederate flag there once."

Woodstock, IL: "I remember when I was in Woodstock, IL going to a food joint and seeing someone with a Confederate jacket and hat on."

Youngstown, OH and Perrysburg, OH: "I have seen Confederate flags in rural areas around Youngstown and in my best friend's nice neighborhood in Perrysburg, OH outside of Toledo."

And that's just from a few states. I also did an image search of "Confederate flag pickup truck" and found trucks with license plates from states like Illinois (2), Maryland, Michigan, New Jersey, and Wisconsin (2) (3). I also found this discussion about all the different places people have seen Confederate flags, plus this heart-warming story of a city councilman in West St. Paul, MN who liked to fly the Confederate flag on the back deck of his house. And here's one about a high school student in New Jersey who was suspended for flying the Confederate flag from his pickup truck.

And no, I'm not posting any of this to start a contest about which non-Southern state has the most Confederate flags, nor am I trying to justify its presence in non-Southern states either. In fact, I'm quite annoyed with the redneckization of rural and blue-collar white America in the last 25 years. The point here is that Pennsylvania doesn't have a monopoly on this ****, and it's high time that people stop pretending it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.