Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 05:50 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Black NYC is LESS than 50% AA, and at least 40% Caribbean and 10% African. And I haven't even included the substantial Afro Latino population, who are classified as Hispanic.

SE FL might be lighter on Africans, but has all the other elements which NYC has, including the fact that AAs are less than 50% of the black population.

Now one can pick other cities with a little of this black immigrant population, and a little of that. What is evident is that these areas are overwhelmingly AA, who pretty much define what it is to be "black".

So in Chicago where hear complaints that Jamaicans, Haitians and Nigerians say they "aren't black". That is because black=AA=black, and those black immigrants don't see themselves as part of this.

No sane person in SE FL, or the NY area, will think that black=AA=black, because the presence of large non AA will prevent such a lunatic way of thinking. The large presence of non AA blacks impacts how AAs view "blackness". Some how I doubt that your average AA in Houston knows or cares much of non AA blacks, even though many Africans and Caribbean blacks live there.
Now you're just making assumptions with no real basis in reality. Houston remains one of the most diverse and international cities in the nation. People there are very aware of blackness that exists outside of their own nation. The same goes for Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

Yup, there isn't anything "African" about AA's.........Ok
False. When African slaves arrived in the New World, they brought their heritage with them, and many of the traits remain. We are not Africans, but part of our culture is.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:35 AM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
False. When African slaves arrived in the New World, they brought their heritage with them, and many of the traits remain. We are not Africans, but part of our culture is.
I was trying to be sarcastic and actually agree with you.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I was trying to be sarcastic and actually agree with you.
Lol I actually thought maybe you were being sarcastic, but I didn't give you benefit of the doubt. My bad.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:21 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Quote:
"I am not African because I was born in Africa, but because Africa was born in me"~Kwame Nkrumah At the end of the day, us Melanites/Natural Peoples in Alkebulan (what is called Africa in the modern context), Asia, Europe, Oceania, and Amexum (what's called the Americas or the New World) are all one family.

Ckhthank was being sarcastic but still a good post either way Gunion lol

Old 09-08-2015, 05:23 PM

117 posts, read 137,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I have some Haitian friends who disappear to Boston almost every long holiday weekend, so something vital must be going on up there.
I know for sure NYC, Boston, Philly and Montreal (add Atlanta)have the more well off Haitians. Florida however, you'll catch Haitians from up north judging them the same way Floridian whites and Latinos do.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Most likely, but the variety is still there. And I don't think Black Americans should be seen as one monolithic group. A black person from New Orleans is not the same thing as one from New York.
You are right about that, and to top it off, There are blacks from other regions who despise Gulf Coast Creoles.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I was curious about a couple more:

Hartford:

Puerto Rican: 107,989
Jamaican: 25,139
Dominican: 5,622
Brazilian: 2,849
Haitian: 1,478
Trinidadian: 1,044
Ghanaian: 840

Minneapolis:

Somalian: 28,402
Ethiopian: 13,326
Puerto Rican: 8,773
Liberian: 7,280
Nigerian: 5,597
Kenyan: 3,534
Jamaican: 1,990
Sudanese: 1,162
Brazilian: 1,154
Ghanaian: 931
Dominican: 697

Seattle:

Puerto Rican: 18,179
Ethiopian: 11,965
Somalian: 9,349
Jamaican: 3,204
Nigerian: 2,443
Brazilian: 2,380
Panamanian: 2,331
Kenyan: 1,754
Haitian: 1,266
Dominican: 967

Springfield, MA:

Puerto Rican: 81,450
Jamaican: 4,508
Dominican: 4,224
Haitian: 971
I know im responding to an old post, but wow, Minneapolis is like one huge African Immigrant diaspora.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:00 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
"I am not African because I was born in Africa, but because Africa was born in me"~Kwame Nkrumah At the end of the day, us Melanites/Natural Peoples in Alkebulan (what is called Africa in the modern context), Asia, Europe, Oceania, and Amexum (what's called the Americas or the New World) are all one family.

Ckhthank was being sarcastic but still a good post either way Gunion lol
You in a MSTA?

Old 09-10-2015, 08:09 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,471,404 times
In terms of most diverse I think New York City is the clear winner.

NYC has a huge African American population, it has a huge Haitian population, huge west African population, huge Jamaican population, huge dominican population. We also can't forget Puerto Ricans who have African blood in them making them mixed raced of African descent. That brings up another point. I know biracial is different than black but NYC has a huge amount of mixed race people who share African blood too.

NYC beats miami for me because Miami is mainly just Haitians and Jamaicans, it lacks dominicans, puerto ricans, and west Africans. I'm not so sure if miami has a large afro cuban population. Would be interesting to me if someone from miami could comment on this subject matter.

Last edited by i'm not a cookie; 09-10-2015 at 08:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.