Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2020, 06:10 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
If we are defining pretentiousness as perceiving one’s self as more cultured and self important than actually is
Sacramento fits that definition pretty darn well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 07:10 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
No, I am simply saying Sacramento IS a pretentious city, but not the ONLY pretentious city. I'm sure that there are plenty of other cities out there that have an inferiority complex deep inside, are really nothing much, but then blindly promote themselves as being equal or even superior to bigger, more exciting cities.

I'm simply saying that pretentiousness is when you pretend to be something you're not. Usually, when you're nothing much but you pretend to be great.

And yes, I have lived in the Sacramento suburbs. I now live in OKC. OKC simply has a much more realistic and modest civic image of itself than Sacramento does.
I'm curious...I wanna see examples of this blind promotion and what not.

Old 04-19-2020, 10:17 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
No, I am simply saying Sacramento IS a pretentious city, but not the ONLY pretentious city. I'm sure that there are plenty of other cities out there that have an inferiority complex deep inside, are really nothing much, but then blindly promote themselves as being equal or even superior to bigger, more exciting cities.

I'm simply saying that pretentiousness is when you pretend to be something you're not. Usually, when you're nothing much but you pretend to be great.

And yes, I have lived in the Sacramento suburbs. I now live in OKC. OKC simply has a much more realistic and modest civic image of itself than Sacramento does.
How? I never hear of it nationally or even here. They’re quiet

Old 04-19-2020, 11:32 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
How? I never hear of it nationally or even here. They’re quiet
Yes, you are right, Gaylord.

Most Sacramentans are the least prententious folks around. We are known for putting ourselves down more than pretending we are something we are not.

Sacramentans are the first to downplay their attributes, and they are the first to exaggerate their weaknesses.

But, they now know how to balance that with what they have always known, that Sacramento is a lot cooler than you were lead to believe.

Sacramento is still underated for many reasons. For the last decade or so, Sacramento has gained a positive perception, but it still gets the jabs and probably always will. There is a happy balance here.

That guy has an obsession with Sacramento, he can't stand it when anyone says anything good about the Sacramento area, who knows why. The guy mistakes pride for pretentiousness. I lived many years in SoCal and I know how and what they are lead to believe about Sacramento, so when you come to Sacramento and find out it is a lot better than you were lead to believe and the people actually like it here and have pride in themselves, it pisses him off. It's like "how can this be, that there are other places in California, other places not on the coast, not in SoCal or the Bay Area, namely Sacramento, that love where they live.

Last edited by Chimérique; 04-20-2020 at 12:16 AM..

Old 04-19-2020, 11:51 PM

795 posts, read 481,730 times
Merriam Webster defines each as:

Pretentious: "Expressive of affected, unwarranted, or exaggerated importance, worth, or stature"

Unpretentious: "Free from ostentation, elegance, or affectation : MODEST"

Take it from there y'all. I'm not going to answer this one because I honestly don't have enough information on cities to determine if it fits one category or another.

Old 04-20-2020, 10:55 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,034,754 times
Quote:
Sacramento fits that definition pretty darn well.
Granted I only spent my childhood there and never lived there as an adult, I don’t get a pretentious vibe. People are very normal with the main identifying theme being Sacramento is one of the most culturally diverse cities in the US. You could argue that that makes it somewhat unpretentious. Most people know hardly anything about Sacramento, but will do back flips talking about Portland. Portlandia was the epitome parody of a pretentious Portland. I like living in the Portland metro, but I see it for its unashamed pretentiousness.

Old 04-20-2020, 11:03 AM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Yes, you are right, Gaylord.

Most Sacramentans are the least prententious folks around. We are known for putting ourselves down more than pretending we are something we are not.

Sacramentans are the first to downplay their attributes, and they are the first to exaggerate their weaknesses.

But, they now know how to balance that with what they have always known, that Sacramento is a lot cooler than you were lead to believe.

Sacramento is still underated for many reasons. For the last decade or so, Sacramento has gained a positive perception, but it still gets the jabs and probably always will. There is a happy balance here.

That guy has an obsession with Sacramento, he can't stand it when anyone says anything good about the Sacramento area, who knows why. The guy mistakes pride for pretentiousness. I lived many years in SoCal and I know how and what they are lead to believe about Sacramento, so when you come to Sacramento and find out it is a lot better than you were lead to believe and the people actually like it here and have pride in themselves, it pisses him off. It's like "how can this be, that there are other places in California, other places not on the coast, not in SoCal or the Bay Area, namely Sacramento, that love where they live.
My stereotype of Sacramentans (?) are they are practical, non-flashy, pragmatic folks who purposely live there to get away from OC, Bay Area. I'm sure some have chips on their shoulders, etc,but haven't seen here.

Old 04-22-2020, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
I lived many years in SoCal and I know how and what they are lead to believe about Sacramento, so when you come to Sacramento and find out it is a lot better than you were lead to believe and the people actually like it here and have pride in themselves, it pisses him off. It's like "how can this be, that there are other places in California, other places not on the coast, not in SoCal or the Bay Area, namely Sacramento, that love where they live.
So I'm some SoCal coastal snob who sees Sacramento as flyover country? Then why do I think that OKC, which smaller, much farther inland, and more conservative than Sacramento is NOT flyover country? If I'm a SoCal coastal snob, then why do I like OKC?

Old 04-22-2020, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm curious...I wanna see examples of this blind promotion and what not.
Just search up any poll on this site pitting Sacramento against other cities. Sacramento comes surprisingly close. Whenever you say that Sacramento doesn't have the amenities, economy, etc. of even similarly-sized cities, throngs of Sacramento defenders will drown you out. The number one selling point for Sacramento is that it's only 1.5 hours to SF and 2 hours from skiing in Lake Tahoe (without traffic). The geographic proximity to attractions should be a consideration for a city, but if it's Sacramento's main selling point, that's a problem. That's saying there simply isn't much to offer within the city.

Here's a quote from the OKC vs. Sacramento thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post

I voted for Sac and here are the reasons.
1. Metro Sac 2 1/2 Millions...OKC 1 1/3 Million not peers
2. They both are one horse towns , 1 Major League Sports
3. They both have a River running through both cities
4. But now this is when Sac blows OKC away..
(A)You can eat breakfast in DTS hang out in Mid Town..
(B) Drive down to S.F. a Aphla World City for LUNCH....
(C) Drive up to LAKE TAHOE for DINNER and a taste of
HEAVEN you can't do this in OKC I think someone
doesn't like OKC VERY MUCH!!!!!

Sac peers are Portland OR Pretty much the same size
and size does matter , however Portland is hipper and
has more Major League Sports Teams...however
does't have Sac surrounding attractions so SAC WIN
San Diego has an INTERNATIONAL METRO 4 1/2
Millions , but falls short on ATTRACTIONS SAC

Phoenix AZ 5 Million Metro (4) Major League Team.
however falls short of surrounding Attractions.

Hmm, Sacramento's now better than Portland, San Diego, and Phoenix just for being relatively close to SF and Lake Tahoe?

This below quote is coming from a longtime resident of Sacramento:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
I think that because Sac's metro population is greater than OKC's by 1 million residents they automatically assume it belongs in a higher tier therefore its an unfair comparison for most. Personally, Sac is not in the same league as Portland or Austin yet people pretend like it is.
Ah, finally some honesty. Pistola916 later mentioned he or she preferred Sac to OKC, which I 100% understand. But at least he/she was honest enough to say it was mostly because of the weather and that as major cities both have as much to offer as the other, and OKC's downtown was more vibrant.

Old 04-22-2020, 07:15 AM

795 posts, read 481,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
If we are defining pretentiousness as perceiving one’s self as more cultured and self important than actually is, Portland is and it isn’t close.
I agree with you, and mean no offense to anybody living in that area.

As someone who travels, loves history and city architecture/exploring, Portland, Oregon is one city I will always just pass by as consideration for a vacation for the foreseeable future until it cleans up its act.

Especially with all that crazy antifa rioting, no thank you. Poor Mr. Ngo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.