Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2015, 12:02 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
My parents to Ivy League universities for graduate school Columbia and Harvard and they are not pretentious and teach at University of Kentucky and now Vanderbilt University but they are really down to earth. NYC is not as pretentious as people make it out to be. Boston and SF probably are the most pretentious but a lot of them are just elitist wannabes and not actually from elite universities like Harvard and Stanford.
Now we know why you made the life decision to move to Nashville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 07:33 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Pretentious: SF, Seattle, San Diego, Miami, Boston, Denver, DC, Minneapolis, parts of Chicago, New York and LA
Denver and Minneapolis?

That's a little disappointing. I agree with most of your list though-I've been to most of the other cities.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:39 PM

765 posts, read 897,842 times
Seattle. The locals already knew it what a nice place to live. The transplants are making it very well known. This might have been a pretentious thing to say. Also generalizing. Either way Seattle to me is very pretentious

Old 12-04-2015, 07:46 PM

99 posts, read 129,503 times
I actually think NYC has some of the friendliest people.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:52 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Denver and Minneapolis?

That's a little disappointing. I agree with most of your list though-I've been to most of the other cities.
Yeah, Denver and Minneapolis maybe 10 years ago I wouldn't say that but recently visiting both cities has given me a different vibe. Of course it's a bit subjective and just based on personal experience.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
I think you are confusing me with someone else. What is it you think I originally said? SF is and always has been unique regardless of it's status as a "bedroom community" or not.

How is SF "less" because some of it's residents work in the Silicon Valley in your opinion?
I was referencing this comment:

Quote:
That would also be false. SF is not a "bedroom community", has never been a "bedroom community" and, likely, never will be.

The new tech residents of SF that work in Silicon Valley only adds to the unique nature of SF.
SF still has lots of jobs, small businesses, big corporations, and an upper-resident-class that doesn't even have to work....and a tourism industry.

Big tourist towns are rarely "bedroom communities" and if they are both "tourist towns" and "bedroom communities" as the case may be in some other California coastal cities, the tourism part makes them more interesting than simply being a "bedroom community".

SF is full of snobs and always had a good share of snobs even when it was "affordable" back in the 60's and 70's. See link on the "Old" (SF) Family Snob and the (general) San Francisco snob

San Francisco Is a City of Snobs - The Bold Italic - San Francisco
Specifically where you said that the tech workers add to the unique nature of SF. I don't agree with that. It makes it more monocultural if anything. And as far as making it less of a unique city- well yeah it does, when you have a city that once hosted a variety of racial and socioeconomic demographics being replaced by a much narrower demographic. One small example: my friend in SF mentioned how straight married couples with children are moving into the Castro and complaining about the nightlife being too noisy. They basically want it to be just like the affluent suburb they grew up in but "vibrant" and "walkable" where they can shop at the organic farmers market at sip their $7 latte. To me, that's pretentious. And bland.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:10 AM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I was referencing this comment:

Specifically where you said that the tech workers add to the unique nature of SF. I don't agree with that. It makes it more monocultural if anything. And as far as making it less of a unique city- well yeah it does, when you have a city that once hosted a variety of racial and socioeconomic demographics being replaced by a much narrower demographic. One small example: my friend in SF mentioned how straight married couples with children are moving into the Castro and complaining about the nightlife being too noisy. They basically want it to be just like the affluent suburb they grew up in but "vibrant" and "walkable" where they can shop at the organic farmers market at sip their $7 latte. To me, that's pretentious. And bland.
I think you are generalizing tech workers, so they are all they same?

When the Castro was primarily Irish Catholic working class it was a monocultural community and people thought it was bland. This was before it became a Gay Ghetto in the 70's, 80's and 90's.

What's wrong with wanting to shop at organic farmers markets and drink lattes, not sure how that is pretentious. Before Starbucks, back in the day, SF was one of few cities in America that had lots of cafes serving expressos and lattes, it was one of the charms of SF; you could find cafes that served expressos, lattes while most cites didn't have such cafes, or not nearly as many as SF.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:30 PM

10 posts, read 10,015 times
A pretentious city would be Boston and LA, an unpretentious city would be Cleveland and Buffalo.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
I think you are generalizing tech workers, so they are all they same?

When the Castro was primarily Irish Catholic working class it was a monocultural community and people thought it was bland. This was before it became a Gay Ghetto in the 70's, 80's and 90's.

What's wrong with wanting to shop at organic farmers markets and drink lattes, not sure how that is pretentious. Before Starbucks, back in the day, SF was one of few cities in America that had lots of cafes serving expressos and lattes, it was one of the charms of SF; you could find cafes that served expressos, lattes while most cites didn't have such cafes, or not nearly as many as SF.
Tech workers are overwhelmingly white or Asian straight males. If you'd like me to provide links about that and covert racism/sexism in SV/SF I'm more than happy to.

Old 12-08-2015, 12:08 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
San Francisco is the most pretentious city in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.