Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 10:47 AM

68 posts, read 109,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Yes, geographically AZ and NM are in the southern tier of the country. But they have nothing to do at all with "the South" as commonly understood in terms of history, culture, etc. Your best bet is to consider "Sunbelt" as the only connection, if one wants to include them in a region which is completely different from the interior southwest, which is "southern" only in the sense it is the southern West:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Belt
Don't engage with him, this person is determined to exclude Kentucky and Virginia from the South, but then go include New Mexico and Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 12:20 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Favorite: (no particular order):
Asheville, NC
Charlotte, NC
Raleigh, NC
Charlottesville, VA
the entire Hampton Roads / Tidewater area
Nashville, TN
Charleston, SC
Greenville, SC
Savannah, GA
Dallas, TX
Austin, TX
Little Rock, AR
Huntsville, AL
Biloxi, MS
New Orleans, LA
Baton Rouge, LA
Chattanooga, TN

Least favorite: (no particular order)
Montgomery, AL
Mobile, AL
Jackson, MS
Memphis, TN
Atlanta, GA
Columbus, GA
Macon, GA
Columbia, SC
Fayetteville, NC
Lynchburg, VA
Most all Florida metros

Old 05-30-2014, 09:16 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDS30 View Post
Don't engage with him, this person is determined to exclude Kentucky and Virginia from the South, but then go include New Mexico and Arizona.
Don't worry, it was obvious that what you say is true from the first sentence the guy wrote. People like this don't bother me; I just let them ramble on

Could it possibly be that the basis of the slam comes down to that at one time the poster asked a Southern girl out for a date, and she turned him down, be the root of the hostility? Hmmmmm...

Old 06-01-2014, 10:17 PM

417 posts, read 445,137 times
Favorites:
Tampa, FL
Charleston, SC
Savannah, GA
San Antonio, TX
Columbia, SC

Least Favorites:
Memphis, TN
Birmingham, AL
Orlando, FL
Jackson, TN
Lakeland, FL

Old 06-02-2014, 08:27 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
Favorites:

Destin, FL
Panama City, FL
Orlando, FL
Pensacola, FL
Jacksonville Beach, FL
Navarre, FL
Savannah, GA
Warner Robins, GA
Biloxi, MS
Gulfport, MS
Chattanooga, TN
Pigeon Forge, TN
Huntsville, AL
Tuscaloosa, AL
Muscle Shoals, AL
Monroeville, AL
Atmore, AL
Foley, AL
Daphne, AL

Least Favorite:

Birmingham, AL
Montgomery, AL
Auburn, AL
Atlanta, GA
Nashville, TN
Memphis, TN
Jackson, MS
New Orleans, LA

Old 06-03-2014, 08:44 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
As a caveat I tend to favor cities that have some form of character and eye-pleasing aesthetics such as greenery/trees, cleanliness and nice architecture. My list would include in no particular order:

Asheville NC
Hendersonville NC
Durham NC
Greensboro NC
Charlottesville VA
Delray Beach FL
Fernandina Beach FL

Old 06-09-2014, 10:37 PM

622 posts, read 949,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDS30 View Post
How do you know this?

Old 06-10-2014, 07:21 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
=muppethammer26;35167814]How do you know this?
LOL Well, heck, it seems a little obvious, don't you think? No one seriously considers New Mexico or Arizona part of the "South" as generally understood; even in extreme examples...

Old 09-25-2022, 03:20 PM

3,447 posts, read 3,376,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
What are your favorite and least favorite Southern & Southeastern cities & metros?

My Favorite Cities:

Atlanta, GA
Birmingham, AL
Charlotte, NC
Dallas-Ft. Worth, TX
Houston, TX
Savannah, GA
Charleston, SC
Columbia, SC
Wilmington, NC
Greenville, SC
Asheville, NC
Raliegh, NC
Richmond, VA
Norfolk-Hampton-Virginia Beach, VA
Louisville, KY
Memphis, TN
Knoxville, TN
Chattanooga, TN
Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Orlando, FL
Jacksonville, FL
Tampa-St. Pete, FL
Nashville, TN

My Least Favorite Cities:

Jonesboro, AR
Betonville, AR
Athens, GA
Dalton, GA
Dothan, AL
Auburn, AL
Anniston, AL
Lexington, KY
Meridian, MS
Tupelo, MS
Winston-Salem-Greensboro-High Point, NC
Durham, NC
Chapel Hill, NC
Asheboro, NC
Wilson, NC
Amarillo, TX
Temple, TX
Abilene, TX
Tyler, TX
Athens, GA, really? This one I have to disagree with, since I always really liked Athens. Yes the outskirts of Athens have the typical suburban sprawl, but I'd still say it's downtown is great enough to put it in my favorites list.

Tupelo's downtown also looked surprisingly nice to me, when I street viewed it. And while I wouldn't say Wilson, NC is a favorite of mine(nor is it least favorite, and as I knew someone who moved there for a job), at least it's made some recent efforts to make it's downtown more interesting when I street viewed it not long ago.

Lexington kinda seemed like Athens, to me. A nice small city, but more sprawl on it's outskirts than I'd prefer. Btw if you're in Lexington for beer microbreweries, I really like Country Boy Brewing. I'm surprised he said Durham and Chapel Hill too, which I once visited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromedot View Post
FAVORITES:
Norfolk, Va Beach, VA (hampton roads)
charlotte, Nc
Atlanta, Ga
Orlando, fl
Jacksonville, fl

DISLIKE:
Greensboro, NC
Winston salem, NC
Miami, Fl
Savannah, Ga
Augusta, GA
Birmingham, Al
Norfolk is on my list of places, I want to street view much more closely. I've always wished looking back, that my family could've done a brief side trip(on a Williamsburg family reunion trip years ago), to do brief stops in Richmond and Norfolk. Sadly I never got that chance.

I have REALLY liked the neighborhoods I've street viewed in Richmond, myself. Now need to do the same, for Norfolk.

Old 09-25-2022, 06:13 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
This thread is old enough to get a driver’s license. I’m sure the cities on here have changed significantly that IF—and I do mean if—the old posters came back that they’d change almost everything they said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.