Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 11:07 AM

25 posts, read 46,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I guess I am boring too, I enjoy most of those things as well. lol. I think youll find people who are introverted and into the things you say your into in any city/state in the US. Maybe you just have not found a way to connect with more people who like to do the things you do. Ive been to Minnesota a few times and I thought it was a nice clean place. I was there in summer however .
Don't get me wrong, Minnesota is a really nice place indeed. But I would like to live somewhere else mostly for the experience, I've seen most of the things in and around here, so I'd like to go somewhere else for something different. So far I've fallen in LOVE with Seattle and Portland, but I'd also like to keep my options open for other cities like Austin or Boston (Lol, rhyme).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 11:57 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMidwesterner View Post
Don't get me wrong, Minnesota is a really nice place indeed. But I would like to live somewhere else mostly for the experience, I've seen most of the things in and around here, so I'd like to go somewhere else for something different. So far I've fallen in LOVE with Seattle and Portland, but I'd also like to keep my options open for other cities like Austin or Boston (Lol, rhyme).

Im not suggesting you should stay in MN, but just pointing out that you will find people who are introverted in any place in the US. Ive never been to OR or WA, two of the four states ive never seen. I hear its nice out there, other than the rain.

Old 03-21-2015, 12:54 PM

177 posts, read 331,623 times
Lubbock, TX
Fort Wayne, IN

Old 03-21-2015, 06:49 PM

300 posts, read 441,192 times
How about Normal, IL? Nothing extraordinary about it, but it keeps you entertained.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookintomove15 View Post
Lubbock, TX
Fort Wayne, IN
Why those two? I like the scenery of Lubbock, but does it have a sophisticated image? I haven't really heard people compare Lubbock on the same levels as Minneapolis or Seattle or in Texas' case, Austin. The same thing can be said with Fort Wayne, does it also have a thriving arts/music scene, and also good access to nature?

Old 03-21-2015, 09:03 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,518,445 times
The bad news: in all honestly, Minneapolis is probably going to work out a lot better for you than most places.

The good news: no matter where you end up, you'll meet a lot more like-minded people once you go to college.

However, it sounds like New England or maybe Northern Virginia would work best.

Contrary to stereotypes, there is a huge redneck vibe in the Pacific Northwest, even in the Seattle and Portland areas, which may not fit your taste.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
The bad news: in all honestly, Minneapolis is probably going to work out a lot better for you than most places.

The good news: no matter where you end up, you'll meet a lot more like-minded people once you go to college.

However, it sounds like New England or maybe Northern Virginia would work best.

Contrary to stereotypes, there is a huge redneck vibe in the Pacific Northwest, even in the Seattle and Portland areas, which may not fit your taste.
Which areas? I know taxes in VA are HORRIBLE, but I did enjoy the Hampton Roads area, and I bet I would like NoVA if I explored it more. As for New England, I did like it, would NH or VT be good? Those would be my favorites.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:41 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,518,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMidwesterner View Post
Which areas? I know taxes in VA are HORRIBLE, but I did enjoy the Hampton Roads area, and I bet I would like NoVA if I explored it more. As for New England, I did like it, would NH or VT be good? Those would be my favorites.
I wouldn't consider taxes. All and all, it minimally factors into cost of living. Think of it this way, even if taxes are higher in Virginia than in Minnesota (which I doubt), you'll be saving on heating costs and health insurance (Minnesota's health insurance is among the highest in the country). Plus, as a future college student, you're not going to be making enough income to significantly tax.

I suggested Northern Virginia because the people are well educated, yet it's a quiet suburb which I'm assuming would appeal to you. Otherwise, Charlottesville is nice. I haven't been to Richmond enough to comment, but it seems nice. Rural Virginia is obviously pretty redneck.

In term so of New England, I was thinking suburban Boston, MA; Burlington, VT; Portland, ME; or Northampton/Amherst, MA. As a whole, New Hampshire is more conservative than Vermont and Maine is more conservative than New Hampshire.

But really, all of this is pretty much moot. I'd focus on getting into a college that that's a good fit for you and not worry too much about that the city because chances are you'll be moving once you graduate. Find schools you like in regions that appeal to you and visit. That's going to be a lot more meaningful than whatever advice you'll get from any of us on here.

...just don't be surprised if you end up back in Minnesota . It really is a pretty awesome place. Considering culture, economy, safety, cost of living, and education, there is really nowhere better.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:58 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,929,902 times
I lived in NoVa, DC area for a few years, and it was anything but boring. If you like history, there are tons of villages with colonial and Civil War sites. Lot's of culture and arts in Washington of course. Also, a lot of people don't realize the amount of outdoor opprtunities in the area. The Potomac becomes a wild and scenic river just west of DC, great place for kayaking and trout fishing, and the Appalachian Trail crosses about 30 miles to the west. Then you can drive about 3 hours east to Rehoboth Beach or Ocean City, or take the train to Philly or NYC.

Downsides are the traffic and cost of living. Coming from Minnesota you will be bowled over by the heat and humidity in summer.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I wouldn't consider taxes. All and all, it minimally factors into cost of living. Think of it this way, even if taxes are higher in Virginia than in Minnesota (which I doubt), you'll be saving on heating costs and health insurance (Minnesota's health insurance is among the highest in the country). Plus, as a future college student, you're not going to be making enough income to significantly tax.

I suggested Northern Virginia because the people are well educated, yet it's a quiet suburb which I'm assuming would appeal to you. Otherwise, Charlottesville is nice. I haven't been to Richmond enough to comment, but it seems nice. Rural Virginia is obviously pretty redneck.

In term so of New England, I was thinking suburban Boston, MA; Burlington, VT; Portland, ME; or Northampton/Amherst, MA. As a whole, New Hampshire is more conservative than Vermont and Maine is more conservative than New Hampshire.

But really, all of this is pretty much moot. I'd focus on getting into a college that that's a good fit for you and not worry too much about that the city because chances are you'll be moving once you graduate. Find schools you like in regions that appeal to you and visit. That's going to be a lot more meaningful than whatever advice you'll get from any of us on here.

...just don't be surprised if you end up back in Minnesota . It really is a pretty awesome place. Considering culture, economy, safety, cost of living, and education, there is really nowhere better.
I looked at your New England and NoVA recommendation and am now in love with both of them more than I ever had. Now it's in this order:

1. Seattle
2. Boston
3. DC

And I do see what you mean by me returning to Minnesota. I may, I'm probably just being the typical hormonal teenager who just isn't content with anything they have and always expect something better out of life. And I did get my college situation quite figured out, now the demand for physician in each city in the future will determine which of three I'll move to for my residency and hopefully live there for sometime. So thank you helping me explore more options!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.