Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most boring drive in the US?
Interstate 5 between Santa Clarita and Stockton, CA 38 15.14%
Interstate 8 between Casa Grande, AZ and Alpine, CA 5 1.99%
Interstate 10 between El Paso and San Antonio, TX 49 19.52%
Interstate 29 between Sioux Falls, SD and Fargo, ND 8 3.19%
Interstate 40 between Flagstaff, AZ and Barstow, CA 8 3.19%
Interstate 57 between Interstate 55 and Urbana, IL 49 19.52%
Interstate 70 between Topeka, KS and Aurora, CO 61 24.30%
Interstate 80 between Sparks, NV and Salt Lake City, UT 11 4.38%
Interstate 90 between Rapid City and Sioux Falls, SD 8 3.19%
Interstate 94 between Billings, MT and Fargo, ND 14 5.58%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 10:58 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I guess the question is subjective, but how is that ride boring? I-80 in PA is beautiful forest and rolling hills and wild rivers the whole way. The few towns are totally unique mountain villages. There's almost no sprawl, almost no farms or crappy junk around exits. McDonalds is more exciting than mountains?

How would mountains and forests and rivers be more boring than endless cornfields and truckstops in Indiana or Illinois?
You dont see the mountains really because of the canopy. And you cannot see far ahead or into the distance. It is those darn trees. All you see is the same tree in front of you. It is hypnotic. You dont get to appreciate the vast forest by driving along I-80, and you dont really get to see the river because you have to keep your eye on the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 12:07 AM

4,503 posts, read 4,613,441 times
When the cotton is not in bloom, The stretch of Interstate 55 from the Missouri Bootheel to where it connects with Interstate 40 in West Memphis.

Also, when cotton is out of season, Highway 61 from the Mississippi/Tennessee border to Vicksburg.

As far as scenic landscapes goes, it's pretty much non existant.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:54 AM

21 posts, read 18,106 times
I 80 across Nebraska! My teenage girls complained bitterly about it at the time and still pick on Nebraska to this day. For my part, I liked going 80 mph and did not really appreciate how hard it was to drive in the mountains. The flatness was a relief to me. But as far as looking out the window of the car, it is dull compared to Wisconsin, where we are from.

Also agree with Illinois and Iowa interstates, in general, and imagine Indiana and Ohio or anywhere a lot of corn fields or soybeans grow can be very dull.

Old 03-27-2016, 01:30 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
When the cotton is not in bloom, The stretch of Interstate 55 from the Missouri Bootheel to where it connects with Interstate 40 in West Memphis.

Also, when cotton is out of season, Highway 61 from the Mississippi/Tennessee border to Vicksburg.

As far as scenic landscapes goes, it's pretty much non existant.
Cotton is ugly when it is in season, and rice fields are mosquito farms. People whine about corn fields, but there's a majesty to them, particularly when the corn is high in perfect rows. The poor, flat delta farms in MO, AR and MS have none of that.

Old 03-27-2016, 04:56 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,613,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Cotton is ugly when it is in season, and rice fields are mosquito farms. People whine about corn fields, but there's a majesty to them, particularly when the corn is high in perfect rows. The poor, flat delta farms in MO, AR and MS have none of that.
I like the fields when the cotton is in bloom. I don't think it looks ugly at all. It looks like fields and fields covered with snow. It's when the cotton is not in season, the landscape looks boring, bleak, poor and depressing.

When the corn is high, I think the corn fields have a mysterious look to them, as if it would easy for a person to get lost in those corn fields.

Old 03-27-2016, 05:16 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,022,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
King corn.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:03 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
When your country is huge and Interstates often take the path of least resistance, you can often find yourself on boring drives. While not the absolute worst, I can add the following to the list:
  1. I-95 through South Carolina. It's 200 miles of very little except for a lake in the very center of the drive. Driving north you do get to see annoying "Pedro sez..." racist billboards for the tacky South of the Border development.
  2. The Florida Turnpike between South Florida and Orlando. It's not all that long but it feels like forever when you are driving it.
  3. I-40 from I-95 to Wilmington, NC. Very similar experience to the FL Turnpike mentioned above.
  4. Almost any Interstate in Indiana or Illinois when you are not near a city.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:40 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
To top It off the State Of Ohio uses the interstate for revenue, there is usually Ohio state troopers posted every 10-20 miles pointing his radar at you just like Rosco P Coltrane. I hate that road.

That is why radar detectors were invented.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:43 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
I-90 between Chicago and Cleveland is pretty mind numbing. Indiana is one of the worst states to drive through too because of the speed traps, and the crappy toll stations.

Crappy toll stations are a hallmark of the Illinois Tollway in Chicagoland.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:54 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times
I'm not sure why people are choosing the I-94 stretch between Billings and Fargo. It doesn't get boring until you're past Theodore Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota. I mean, how can you claim a drive is boring if it goes through a National Park? Eastern Montana has it's own beauty.

If you want to pick on a part of Eastern Montana go for Hwy 2. Brutal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.