Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 06:15 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Honestly, Maryland shouldn't be listed. The fact that you had to put excluding the DC metro proves it.
But there's no one city in the DC suburbs that's a clear second in the state. That region functions as a collection of suburbs without a strong central city on the Maryland side, which is how it works at times in the case of the suburbs of one city being located in another state; it's a similar situation in NoVA as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 07:23 PM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Jeez I wonder what category NJ would fall under...
Jersey has no major city....its people abandoned them long ago.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Jersey has no major city....its people abandoned them long ago.
NJ is the densest state in the country so I'm not sure where the abandonment comment is coming from, and it never had a chance to truly develop a major city with Philadelphia abutting it on the south and NYC on the north.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:32 PM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
NJ is the densest state in the country so I'm not sure where the abandonment comment is coming from, and it never had a chance to truly develop a major city with Philadelphia abutting it on the south and NYC on the north.
Newark had over 400k at one point. None of them will be major metros on their own, but they have much potential if their suburban residents stop hating on them and give them a chance to redevelop/gentrify.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Newark had over 400k at one point. None of them will be major metros on their own, but they have much potential if their suburban residents stop hating on them and give them a chance to redevelop/gentrify.
Pretty much all the older urban centers are below their peak populations right now, even many of the ones doing relatively well for themselves right now. I think Jersey City is realizing its potential and Newark is making strides with redevelopment and gentrification; you even see the seeds being planted in Camden although it will be more of an uphill journey there.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:31 PM

183 posts, read 249,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think the only reason why it might be said that this isn't clear is because Savannah isn't the second largest city or metro or has the second-largest economy in GA; that would be Augusta. I know it doesn't get the notoriety Savannah gets, but it somewhat makes "second city" status a little less clear overall.
Yeah, I understand the reasoning of Augusta being Georgia's #2 city. I still believe Savannah's punch goes far beyond it's size and the city has a legit claim on #2. When you add Hinesville/Fort Stewart to Savannah, economically it ranks closer to Augusta. Either way, Georgia has secondary cities and may not even belong on the list.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:56 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,442,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Duck View Post
I don't know how long a thread like this can continue because there are only 50 states and a limited number of these "one-city states" but here are some more that the OP did not include:

Alaska - Anchorage
Arkansas - Little Rock
Mississippi - Jackson
New Mexico - Albuquerque
South Dakota - Sioux Falls

Also, I would think North Dakota's "one city" would be Fargo.
Hmm I don't really agree.

Alaska - Fairbanks
Arkansas - NWA (Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers)
Mississippi - Gulfport
New Mexico - Santa Fe
South Dakota - Rapid City
North Dakota - Bismarck for western ND and Grand Forks for eastern ND.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncey View Post
Yeah, I understand the reasoning of Augusta being Georgia's #2 city. I still believe Savannah's punch goes far beyond it's size and the city has a legit claim on #2. When you add Hinesville/Fort Stewart to Savannah, economically it ranks closer to Augusta. Either way, Georgia has secondary cities and may not even belong on the list.
Yeah but given the gap between Atlanta and the rest, I can somewhat see why it's on this list; I mean metro Atlanta is ten times larger than the next largest metro. Illinois's smaller metros are all about the same as Georgia's (Rockford, Peoria, the St. Louis 'burbs, Champaign-Urbana, etc.) and most agree with Illinois being on this list. The prestige of Savannah may be the only argument against such a categorization of Georgia, but that's not a lot in and of itself.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:44 PM

707 posts, read 749,568 times
New Mexico fits nicely into this group. The largest city, Albuquerque, is larger than the next 10 largest cities in New Mexico-combined. at 560k it is nearly 10 times as populous as the capital, Santa Fe, five times the size of the second largest city, Las Cruses, and 8 times the size of the third, it's own suburb, Rio Rancho. All refer to proper.

Last edited by kehkou; 04-15-2015 at 04:54 PM..

Old 04-16-2015, 10:16 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
During its history of statehood, there have been four different cities that have enjoyed being the biggest in Montana. It is probably the one state in which it is LEAST clear which is the dominant city.

Huntington and Charleston are now neck and neck, and Charleston might not, today, be the biggest city in West Virginia.

Bismarck has never been bigger nor more important then Fargo. It was stuck out in the middle when North Dakota needed a capital, and it still nothing but the seat of government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.