Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 07:25 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,190,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I can't think of very many small cities which anchor metros of under 500,000 in the South or Midwest which are what I would call walkable - in the sense that not having a car isn't a gigantic PITA. Those that are tend to be college towns, and college towns aren't cheap.

Just out of curiosity, I decided to look at the Wiki list of Metropolitan areas. I filtered out everything which was over 500,000 people, in the West or Northeast, or with a shrinking population (since those would be liable to be bad job markets).

Then the remainder I looked up on Walkscore. I filtered out every city which had a Walkscore of under 50. Also took out a few expensive college towns. Here's what I had left.

LaCrosse, WI
Morgantown, WV
Winchester, VA

IMHO you should expand your search to include portions of Pennsylvania and Upstate NY. The weather is no worse (often better) than the Midwest, and the walkability is far better. Lancaster PA, for example, has a Walkscore of 80. This is more walkable than any large cities in the country except NYC and San Francisco. And you can get apartments near Downtown for under $600 a month if you're not incredibly picky.
Explain to me how the weather is "better" in PA and upstate NY. The only thing I can think of is that it normally doesn't get quite as cold, but that's about it. Aside from coastal PNW, the most overcast region of this country is NE OH, NW PA and Upstate NY -- so I'm not sure the OP would like that transition if "sunshine tax" means something to him/her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 07:26 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Small metros that are that cheap are probably cheap in part because there are no jobs.
That's nowhere close to being true.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:53 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What may help Lansing is that it actually has a pretty good bus system, which is NOT in the Walk Score data. So, that could have had an effect on the city's overall score. East Lansing is definitely very walkable as well.

If you noticed, the first apartment listed is within the rent range. Here's the streetview and you can see a portion of the city's skyline from that area: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.7280...AQ!2e0!6m1!1e1

Old 04-17-2015, 02:33 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
You can get a really nice one bedroom apartment in most Southern and Midwestern cities for about 600-900 a month but you usually still need a car, public transportation isn't great in medium sized cities in the Midwest and South... but the overall cost of living is cheaper.
Public transit is pretty awful in virtually everywhere in the US, unfortunately! The only place with good transit is New York City and only about ten other cities (I would include Portland where I live now) have barely passable transit. Like you CAN get around in SOME areas, but it's a major pain in the ass and often involves half hour waits exposed to the elements, standing up on full buses and multiple transfers.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:12 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,969,171 times
Frederick, MD
Hagerstown, MD
Annapolis, MD

Old 04-17-2015, 07:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmc66 View Post
Tucson ,Omaha ,Cincinnati, Louisville come to mind ....cheap ,friendly,bus service ,population 500,000?
Omaha would be the best bet for jobs IMO.
Omaha's metro is 800,000 people. Yes, the UE rate there is usually among the lowest in the country. Big Ag economy-people have to eat.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:01 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Explain to me how the weather is "better" in PA and upstate NY. The only thing I can think of is that it normally doesn't get quite as cold, but that's about it. Aside from coastal PNW, the most overcast region of this country is NE OH, NW PA and Upstate NY -- so I'm not sure the OP would like that transition if "sunshine tax" means something to him/her.
I said the weather was no worse, and sometimes better. Overall the further east you go the less extreme the variation betwee the seasons are. Summers are cooler, and winters are milder, than somewhere in the same latitude further west (until you get over the rockies of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Public transit is pretty awful in virtually everywhere in the US, unfortunately! The only place with good transit is New York City and only about ten other cities (I would include Portland where I live now) have barely passable transit. Like you CAN get around in SOME areas, but it's a major pain in the ass and often involves half hour waits exposed to the elements, standing up on full buses and multiple transfers.
This might be true, but if you live in a small walkable city it doesn't matter as much if public transit isn't the best, because you can do things like the bulk of your weekly shopping within the neighborhood. Transit costs money, and unless you can afford to buy monthly passes or something, it really is better to utilize it mainly for work commuting if possible, even in an urban neighborhood.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:34 PM

302 posts, read 769,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

This might be true, but if you live in a small walkable city it doesn't matter as much if public transit isn't the best, because you can do things like the bulk of your weekly shopping within the neighborhood. Transit costs money, and unless you can afford to buy monthly passes or something, it really is better to utilize it mainly for work commuting if possible, even in an urban neighborhood.

This seems to be a bigger issue in some places then others. Unlimited monthly bus passes are $40 in Grand Rapids and $35 in Lansing, which isn't bad if that's your entire transportation budget.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:24 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,194,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I question the weather aspect myself. Then again, its a pick your poison proposition.

Omaha's winters are much shorter than upstate NY with 15th the annual snowfall (26 inches), but the summers are warmer and longer.

Again, pick your poison.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:26 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,194,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
Omaha's metro is 800,000 people. Yes, the UE rate there is usually among the lowest in the country. Big Ag economy-people have to eat.
900,000 now. And will one day be merged with the Lincoln MSA. That'd be 1,220,000 MSA (1,300,000 CSA) and is growing well above the national rate. Just not Texas, piedmont or rockies fast. Last year the two cities posted a growth of 14,000 people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.