Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 04:58 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times

Advertisements

Are there any cities that are:

50,000 to 500,000 people (metro)
Not car-dependent (Ie, I can commute and shop by walking/bus/bike)
At least moderately liberal or centrist, doesn't have to be super liberal though
Cheap rent (possible to rent a one bedroom or studio for $450/month or less)
Located in the Midwest or South
Finding a job isn't a goose chase
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 05:29 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Small metros that are that cheap are probably cheap in part because there are no jobs.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Small metros that are that cheap are probably cheap in part because there are no jobs.
Not necessarily. The Midwest is cheap largely because of its (deserved) reputation for brutal winters. The sunshine tax is a real thing.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:57 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Are there any cities that are:

50,000 to 500,000 people (metro)
Not car-dependent (Ie, I can commute and shop by walking/bus/bike)
At least moderately liberal or centrist, doesn't have to be super liberal though
Cheap rent (possible to rent a one bedroom or studio for $450/month or less)
Located in the Midwest or South
Finding a job isn't a goose chase
Most of the cities that come to mind are in the 500k - 1million metro range

The cities that immediately came to mind were

Des Moines
Madison (might be too expensive I don't know)
Grand Rapids
Chattanooga
Lexington
and Kalamazoo

I left out Asheville because I don't know if it's trendiness has made it too expensive I'm sure someone else can speak to it.

All of those cities meet your criteria except that the top 3 are a little larger in the metro than you laid out. I don't know what the transit situation is like in Lexington or Chatt but the other ones have pretty good systems for the size of city, and they all have pretty strong economies.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:34 PM
chh

420 posts, read 653,178 times
Kalamazoo, MI
Champaign, IL
Grand Rapids, MI
Kokomo, IN
What I could think of off the top of my head. Never been to the south so not much help there, good luck with your move

Old 04-15-2015, 08:58 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,546,840 times
I don't recommend Michigan for anything.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:25 PM

302 posts, read 769,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
I don't recommend Michigan for anything.
Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Grand Rapids (Metro Is twice the size of what you are looking for, though)
Kalamazoo
Lansing/East Lansing
Traverse City
Marquette
Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti if you rent in Ypsilanti

Old 04-15-2015, 10:20 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,520,124 times
I have not traveled all that extensively through the South, but I know the Midwest very well. All the cities there tend be very dense and walkable in the respective cores, but they quickly spiral out to suburban sprawl. This is in contrast to a lot of East Coast cities in the 50K-500K range (New Haven, Lancaster, Scranton, Wilmington, Binghamton, Ithaca, and Springfield, MA) that are more dense and compact, and similarly-sized Western cities (Yuma, Las Cruces, Reno, Pueblo, Bakersfield) that are essentially all sprawl.

So, really, anywhere in the Midwest except the more expensive college towns (Madison, Ann Arbor) would work--if you live downtown.

That said, Duluth, Minnesota; Lexington, Kentucky; and Dubuque, Iowa are very nice cities, in my humble opinion.

Though they wouldn't be my first choice, I could live in Kalamazoo, Michigan or Grand Forks, North Dakota for a few year without going totally insane.

Kenosha, Wisconsin is worth considering too. It's a smaller city that has commuter-train access to Chicago. That way, you can enjoy the big city whenever you'd like without living in the big city.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:22 PM

367 posts, read 697,192 times
Tucson ,Omaha ,Cincinnati, Louisville come to mind ....cheap ,friendly,bus service ,population 500,000?
Omaha would be the best bet for jobs IMO.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I have not traveled all that extensively through the South, but I know the Midwest very well. All the cities there tend be very dense and walkable in the respective cores, but they quickly spiral out to suburban sprawl. This is in contrast to a lot of East Coast cities in the 50K-500K range (New Haven, Lancaster, Scranton, Wilmington, Binghamton, Ithaca, and Springfield, MA) that are more dense and compact, and similarly-sized Western cities (Yuma, Las Cruces, Reno, Pueblo, Bakersfield) that are essentially all sprawl.

So, really, anywhere in the Midwest except the more expensive college towns (Madison, Ann Arbor) would work--if you live downtown.

That said, Duluth, Minnesota; Lexington, Kentucky; and Dubuque, Iowa are very nice cities, in my humble opinion.

Though they wouldn't be my first choice, I could live in Kalamazoo, Michigan or Grand Forks, North Dakota for a few year without going totally insane.

Kenosha, Wisconsin is worth considering too. It's a smaller city that has commuter-train access to Chicago. That way, you can enjoy the big city whenever you'd like without living in the big city.
Are downtown Midwest rents much worse than rents in the outlying areas? Would a $300-$400 a month studio be doable there, for example?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.