Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 04:34 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times

Advertisements

How about Eugene? It sounds like you are fishing for someone to suggest Portland or Seattle, but honestly Eugene is way cheaper, rent is like half the price of Portland and a small fraction of Seattle. I just moved here recently and love it! The University of Oregon is a pretty good school too with a nice campus and there's lots of good hiking trails in easy access to the city. Even a mountain you can climb for a day trip, Spencer Butte.

Edit: I will say the job market here is not great, though, from what people tell me. But that's true of the West in general if you don't have a STEM degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 07:04 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times
Check out cities in WV including Morgantown. Most people don't realize how moderate the temps are in parts of WV. Morgantown - Good economy, location, outdoors, weather (as overcast as the PNW with little snow), and university. WV is also big on the arts.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:08 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
How about Eugene? It sounds like you are fishing for someone to suggest Portland or Seattle, but honestly Eugene is way cheaper, rent is like half the price of Portland and a small fraction of Seattle. I just moved here recently and love it! The University of Oregon is a pretty good school too with a nice campus and there's lots of good hiking trails in easy access to the city. Even a mountain you can climb for a day trip, Spencer Butte.

Edit: I will say the job market here is not great, though, from what people tell me. But that's true of the West in general if you don't have a STEM degree.
Wouldn't you agree, however, that even with the "lower" cost of Eugene compared to Portland, supporting 2 people on $25,000 in income is going to be a bit of a challenge?

Old 05-15-2015, 12:17 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,636,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
Wouldn't you agree, however, that even with the "lower" cost of Eugene compared to Portland, supporting 2 people on $25,000 in income is going to be a bit of a challenge?
It depends on what those "sizeable savings" amounts to... can they buy a house in cash? Other passive income? Mr Money Mustache supports his family out in CO on $25k a year, but his net worth is over $1million and no house payment.

For the average American household though, $25k a year is almost at the poverty level. Let's take a look at some sample numbers for 2 people living on that income...

Income
salary 25000 yearly
monthly 1771 (after taxes)

Expenses
Food 300
utilities 200
rent 500
car 200
fuel/transportation 250
insurance 100
cellphones 60 ($30x2)
internet 40
netflix 10
10% savings 177 (retirement/emergency fund/etc)

Total 1837
deficit 66

Keep in mind these numbers are for a pretty Spartan lifestyle... no restaurants, no cable tv, basic prepaid phones, etc. What about medical expenses/deductibles, toiletries, gifts, oil changes and other car troubles, etc.

I'd argue that if the OP doesn't have some huge windfall like an inheritance or structured annuity, the two of them can't live off $25k/yr.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:23 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
If they are considering the PNW, with their job skills, Portland for them would not be a good choice. Eugene could work but still would be a struggle. If the OP is thinking of attending school, he would have to wait a year or would be saddled with some very costly out-of-state tuition fees. But if that were the case, Eugene has a very good public university.

I think the OP might have to be willing to tolerate some cold weather to be able to meet his criteria. I would check out schools that would have the best courses in his field of study and then go from there. Or maybe stay where he is and complete his degree because then he would be in a better position to seek work wherever he might choose to live.

Personally, I second Morgantown. Good school, good people and lots going on. The COL is very reasonable.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:29 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
Outside of the weather, the rest seems like living somewhere affordable in the Pittsburgh area would be great. Between Pittsburgh, and Cleveland which isn't that far away, there are a lot of craft events throughout the year. If she's willing to go a little further, one of the largest craft fairs in the US each year is in Columbus. Western Pennsylvania is one of the cloudiest areas east of the Rockies. The University of Pittsburgh is a member of the American Association of Universities, and is public.
I was going to mention Pittsburgh as well. I am not familiar with anything out west so I can't help there.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:45 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
Outside of the weather, the rest seems like living somewhere affordable in the Pittsburgh area would be great. Between Pittsburgh, and Cleveland which isn't that far away, there are a lot of craft events throughout the year. If she's willing to go a little further, one of the largest craft fairs in the US each year is in Columbus. Western Pennsylvania is one of the cloudiest areas east of the Rockies. The University of Pittsburgh is a member of the American Association of Universities, and is public.
Weather hurts other PA, Upstate NY and Western MA communities that could fit otherwise.

Perhaps college towns in VA like Charlottesville, Blacksburg and Harrisonburg would work.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:46 PM

352 posts, read 570,384 times
Default New Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofholes View Post
Neither of us can tolerate the heat and humidity (we currently live in the South and are hating the weather).
60 to 65 degrees Fahrenheit is when we feel the most comfortable.
We love cloudy days.
I don't like heavy snow or having to scrape ice off of my car every morning for half the year.
Light wind is nice, but extremely windy places can get annoying real quick. So preferably not too much wind.

A good public four-year university is a must. I still intend on completing my degree when I find the opportunity to do so.

As for geographic desires, we'd like to be in a larger city with many cultural activities (theater, concerts, fairs, events, and parks) but at the same time be within easy driving distance to nature. Preferably mountains, water, and green forests with hiking trails.
We wouldn't mind living in a smaller suburb of a city if it is in such an areas as I'm describing. I know that in my income bracket that I may not be able to live in the city itself.

As for shopping/dining options... I come from a boring, small suburb which only offers chain restaurants and such. So I'd like more independent, unique places to eat and shop at.
My travels would direct you to Albuquerque, NM. Average cost of living. Easy driving distance to nature with views of the Sandia & Manzano Mountains. It also lies at the center of the New Mexico Technology Corridor.

Weather: Semi Arid, with very low humidity/dew points, some snow but not much, the heat isn't a killer;

Colleges: University of New Mexico, Southwest University of Visual Arts, Southwestern Indian Polytechnic Institute, Trinity Southwest University, the University of St. Francis College of Nursing, New Mexico State University, Highlands University, Lewis University, Wayland Baptist University, and Webster University.

Geographic Desires: New Mexico Arts & Crafts Festival, and over 300 visual arts, music, dance, literary, film, ethnic, and craft organizations, museums, festivals, Albuquerque Biological Park, Albuquerque Museum of Art and History, Museum of Natural History and Science, and Old Town Albuquerque;

Theater & Concerts: Isleta Amphitheater, Tingley Coliseum, Sunshine Theater and the KiMo Theater.

I've heard issues with crime however, most larger cities will have some issues with that.

Give it a look, it may be a good place to get the ball rolling on this next chapter of your life.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:02 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,887,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNomad View Post
My travels would direct you to Albuquerque, NM. Average cost of living. Easy driving distance to nature with views of the Sandia & Manzano Mountains. It also lies at the center of the New Mexico Technology Corridor.
In addition, consider a "tiny house" for the two of you.

Tiny House Builders | Show | HGTV

Old 05-18-2015, 08:50 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,289,448 times
Spokane, WA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.