Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 09:19 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,128,379 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for examples small towns, say smaller than 75k people that have cosmopolitan elements to them.

Locally, Bentonville, Arkansas has become that sort of town. Bentonville has about 40,000 residents, but is home to the Global Fortune #1 company, and so there is a lot of money there and lots of amenities.

Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art is located in Bentonville, and the downtown square has swanky restaurants and hip shopping. Bentonville is currently hosting the Bentonville Film Festival with lots of celebrities taking part.

Give me examples of other cities which aren't "college towns" but have a surprising number of amenities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 09:24 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Asheville NC
Charleston SC
Wilmington NC
Roanoke VA
Lynchburg VA

I'm sure there are many others across the US.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:32 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
I'm looking for examples small towns, say smaller than 75k people that have cosmopolitan elements to them.

Locally, Bentonville, Arkansas has become that sort of town. Bentonville has about 40,000 residents, but is home to the Global Fortune #1 company, and so there is a lot of money there and lots of amenities.

Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art is located in Bentonville, and the downtown square has swanky restaurants and hip shopping. Bentonville is currently hosting the Bentonville Film Festival with lots of celebrities taking part.

Give me examples of other cities which aren't "college towns" but have a surprising number of amenities.
Does Bentonville really count since it is part of a metro area that is a quintessential college town (Fayetteville)?

Old 05-06-2015, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Does Bentonville really count since it is part of a metro area that is a quintessential college town (Fayetteville)?
I think so. The metro is mostly made up of four big towns. Fayetteville is on the south end, Bentonville is on the far north end. Fayetteville is relatively cosmopolitan itself, with a performing arts center, lots of festivals, activities, broadway productions and local theater, art galleries, brew pubs, etc. Bentonville is 25 miles away, and has all of its own stuff.

Bentonville's "culture" is a byproduct of its business community, and has little to do with its location near Fayetteville.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:14 AM

93,167 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Asheville NC
Charleston SC
Wilmington NC
Roanoke VA
Lynchburg VA

I'm sure there are many others across the US.
I think all of these cities have over 75,000 people.

A very small city that would fit is Corning, NY. It is a city of about 11,000 and has Fortune 500 Corning Incorporated. It has an orchestra and some museums, as well as a very nice Downtown. Nearby Elmira is about 20 minutes away to the east and Ithaca is about 55 minutes to the Northeast. Rochester is about an hour and a half away and Syracuse is about an hour and 45 minutes away. Home | osfl

Palace Theatre - Corning NY - 17 West Market in Corning's Gaffer District on Historic Market Street

Rockwell Museum - Art about America

Visit | Corning Museum of Glass

Benjamin Patterson Inn Museum - Corning Painted Post Historical Society (Corning, New York) (just outside of the city)

Centre Stage Community Theatre

Home : Corning's Gaffer District

https://www.planning.org/greatplaces/streets/2013/

Visit Corning, NY | Corning & the Southern Finger Lakes

You may also include some other NY cities that are under 75,000 like Utica, Schenectady, Troy, Saratoga Springs and Binghamton, among others. All of them have colleges/college town areas(SUNY-Binghamton is actually in Vestal), but aren't college towns in a true sense. Saratoga Springs is the smallest at around 26,000, but has quite a bit for its size: Visit Saratoga! Racing, Tourism & Travel Guide to Saratoga Springs NY: Find Hotels, Events, Restaurants & Real Estate

Discover Saratoga: Saratoga Convention & Tourism Bureau

Glens Falls is another small city of 14,000 that comes to mind: Glens Falls is full of things to do, delicious restaurants, and numerous places to shop for everyone in your family or friends.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-07-2015 at 07:40 AM..

Old 05-07-2015, 08:06 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,538,523 times
Places like Healdsburg, CA and Napa, CA probably fill this description. And Santa Fe, NM...

Old 05-07-2015, 08:26 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,108,256 times
Jackson WY
Aspen CO
Nantucket MA
Provincetown MA

Old 05-07-2015, 08:53 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,725,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Jackson WY
Aspen CO
Nantucket MA
Provincetown MA
Good call with P-Town.

I'd also like to add Montpelier Vermont. It's a small town with a slightly bigger vibe because it's the state capital.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:22 AM

These are good ones. I had never heard of Corning NY. Very interesting.

I expected Aspen to pop up in the list, too. Provincetown, MA is a good example.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:31 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Eureka Springs, AR perhaps?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.