Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 04:03 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,523 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

My wife and I love the time of the year when the summer starts to wear down, and fall starts. We have lived in the south for the entirety of our lives, and we want to leave for a variety of reasons, with weather being near the top. I have a respiratory condition that causes me not to do real well in the heat and humidity of the south. We have what may be considered an odd question, but figured the nice people of city data may be able to help.

Where in the US, preferably east of the Mississippi (just a personal preference), would be the best location for a great summer/fall? Winters can be cold and snowy, or not. We want somewhere with changing leaves, and a plethora of outdoor activities. We want somewhere that we can attend festivals and fairs throughout the summer and fall. We want somewhere with a community type feel. We do not need a big city, but we would like to be within 2 hours or so of a larger city. We love the history aspect of the northeast, so that is the area that we have been concentrating on , but somewhere outside of the northeast that fits would be great as well.

We have a 3 year old son, and we work in accounting and sales/marketing, and my wife is also an aspiring writer with her own website. We aren't worried about budget for the moment, as we are just looking for somewhere that fits, and will worry about those types of things when we are actually ready to make the move.

So, does anywhere in particular come to mind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 04:27 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,963,094 times
Hi,
If you want to escape the heat and humidity you'd do well then to avoid the coast even in the NE. Summers can get a big sticky sometimes but not all the time. I'd say New England is really nice, a bit inland towards the mountains might be a good option--western Mass, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, but also the mid-Atlantic states also inland. Perhaps Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York. You'd have to expect snow but you say you don't mind.

If you want to avoid heat and humidity altogether and don't mind excluding the east coast, then go west.

Last edited by ABQSunseeker; 06-01-2015 at 04:41 PM..

Old 06-01-2015, 05:40 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
Hi,
If you want to escape the heat and humidity you'd do well then to avoid the coast even in the NE. Summers can get a big sticky sometimes but not all the time. I'd say New England is really nice, a bit inland towards the mountains might be a good option--western Mass, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, but also the mid-Atlantic states also inland. Perhaps Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York. You'd have to expect snow but you say you don't mind.

If you want to avoid heat and humidity altogether and don't mind excluding the east coast, then go west.
You wouldn't have to expect snow in late summer/early fall in the Interior Northeast. Fall is probably the most consistent and arguably best time of year in the region.

I would look into Albany NY, as it has the history and is only about a couple of hours or so from Boston and NYC.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:52 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,395,915 times
I'd say somewhere near Manchester, NH or the seacoast like Portsmouth. Portsmouth borders Maine. You'd only be 45 minutes to an hour from Boston on the NH seacoast.

NH has no sales or income tax which is a big plus. Housing is reasonable and salaries are generally high in New England. It's a good place for a family.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 06-01-2015 at 06:09 PM..

Old 06-01-2015, 06:00 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,963,094 times
I would definitely go with New England or upstate NY. Saratoga NY is also nice.
Of course there is no snow summer/fall!! They're thinking of moving and thinking also of the winter where they will be. New Hampshire has its draws, but coastal areas can bring stickiness in summer. Actually coastal Maine near Portland or Bangor is very nice too.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:13 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,395,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
I would definitely go with New England or upstate NY. Saratoga NY is also nice.
Of course there is no snow summer/fall!! They're thinking of moving and thinking also of the winter where they will be. New Hampshire has its draws, but coastal areas can bring stickiness in summer. Actually coastal Maine near Portland or Bangor is very nice too.
I live in coastal NH and it's not bad. There are those days but the coast is usually pretty comfortable.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:18 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Something to consider OP is that the further inland in the Northeast, generally the more affordable. As an example, you may find this to be interesting: Syracuse area named most affordable major housing market - LocalSYR.com powered by NewsChannel 9 WSYR Syracuse

Here is an example of a nice older home that a poster on here put me into and it is in a nice, walkable area: http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...33557&AgentID=

Old 06-02-2015, 06:06 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Hello all!

My wife and I love the time of the year when the summer starts to wear down, and fall starts. We have lived in the south for the entirety of our lives, and we want to leave for a variety of reasons, with weather being near the top. I have a respiratory condition that causes me not to do real well in the heat and humidity of the south. We have what may be considered an odd question, but figured the nice people of city data may be able to help.

Where in the US, preferably east of the Mississippi (just a personal preference), would be the best location for a great summer/fall? Winters can be cold and snowy, or not. We want somewhere with changing leaves, and a plethora of outdoor activities. We want somewhere that we can attend festivals and fairs throughout the summer and fall. We want somewhere with a community type feel. We do not need a big city, but we would like to be within 2 hours or so of a larger city. We love the history aspect of the northeast, so that is the area that we have been concentrating on , but somewhere outside of the northeast that fits would be great as well.

We have a 3 year old son, and we work in accounting and sales/marketing, and my wife is also an aspiring writer with her own website. We aren't worried about budget for the moment, as we are just looking for somewhere that fits, and will worry about those types of things when we are actually ready to make the move.

So, does anywhere in particular come to mind?
Bear in mind many of the far northeast areas tend to have short autumns of late and seemingly head straight into winter by early November. Prior to moving back to Florida I had lived in Philadelphia and that had seemed to be the case increasingly each year over the past several as there has been a definitive climate change in that area. I would recommend looking a bit further south in the Mid-Atlantic states, most notably Virginia in cities like Charlottesville, Staunton or Blacksburg along the Shenandoah Valley where you'll find everything you're looking for without the longer winters and substantial springs/falls.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:49 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,789,634 times
Wellsboro, PA has a make your own culture aspect that's appealing to many, in a milieu that's more politically/socially conservative than many interior Northeast areas (so perhaps not as great a shock in that respect moving from the South). Things To Do - Wellsboro Area Chamber of Commerce | PA As for proximity to larger cities, it's, well, an hour's drive from either of - Williamsport, PA, or Elmira, NY. Nearest Apple store is in Rochester, NY, 2+ hrs. (Philadelphia, Baltimore, Toronto 4+, NYC/DC 5+ hrs)

Cortland, NY is a larger small town, often overshadowed by nearby Ithaca, but it has its own make your own culture aspects while being somewhat less remote than Wellsboro (<1 hr to Syracuse, Ithaca, Binghamton, 4 hr to NYC/Phila). It's one of the few remaining more politically "purple" areas despite being in a "blue" state. It is snowier than Wellsboro, evidenced by 3 ski areas in the county. Nearest Apple store in Syracuse, 45 minutes. City of Cortland Official Web Site

Old 06-02-2015, 07:05 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,789,634 times
Cumberland, MD (still in "the South" by some definitions, although the Mason-Dixon Line is a bike ride away ) is a spectacularly sited small city 2++(often traffic) hrs to DC, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, with an Amtrak option to DC/Pitt. May be becoming more of an arts destination, already has the annual Home - DelFest and the Great Allegheny Passage - The official website for the rail-trail system between Pittsburgh, PA and Cumberland, MD though you might still need to work a bit harder to make your own culture here, in this red sliver of a very blue state. Major elevation change just west of here makes adjacent Garrett County as snowy as northwest PA or even parts of upstate NY. https://www.mdmountainside.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.