Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 02:26 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times

Advertisements

I must admit, the PNW is less forested than I thought. I always knew the Eastern side of Oregon and Washington were deserts. But not to this degree. And SoCal and CA in general actually look more forested than I expected. Especially the Central Valley and urban areas like LA and Orange County. Is there a small elevated Tree Line belt in the mountains of Eastern Orange County?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 04:01 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,760,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I must admit, the PNW is less forested than I thought. I always knew the Eastern side of Oregon and Washington were deserts. But not to this degree. And SoCal and CA in general actually look more forested than I expected. Especially the Central Valley and urban areas like LA and Orange County. Is there a small elevated Tree Line belt in the mountains of Eastern Orange County?
Sort of. The Santa Ana mountains in eastern Orange County rise up to about 5,500 feet so the elevation change produces a lot more rain on the western slopes than somewhere down by sea level. Probably close to 30 inches per year as opposed to the 10-15 that the cities there usually average annually.

When traveling through these areas you will notice that the peaks are usually covered in dense scrub like Manzanita, with some pines at the higher elevations, but the multiple canyons that run throughout funnel a lot of the rain that falls. There are streams running through pretty much every one of these canyons and they are full of moderately dense forests with trees such as coast live oak and sycamore, with smaller shrubs and ferns that cover the ground.

Yet people on here tell me I reside in some arid wasteland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.