Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most centrally located to other metros 500,000 and above
Columbus 9 33.33%
Cincinnati 8 29.63%
Indianapolis 10 37.04%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 10:36 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
Is there a reason why you didn't use actually miles? People fly as well as drive.
Because the person who created this topic specified an eight-hour drive; that's why.

As for flying, I already saved the radii for three of them a few months ago...

Cleveland

Columbus

Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh wins this contest too. Within 500 miles of Pittsburgh are Baltimore, Boston, Buffalo, Charlotte, Chicago, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, Hartford, Indianapolis, Louisville, Milwaukee, Montreal, Nashville, New York, Ottawa, Philadelphia, Providence, Raleigh, Richmond, Rochester, Toronto, Virginia Beach/Norfolk and Washington DC. Cleveland adds St. Louis but loses Boston and Providence. Columbus adds Atlanta, Birmingham and St. Louis but loses Boston, Hartford, Montreal, Ottawa and Providence. Cincinnati adds Atlanta, Birmingham and Memphis, but loses Boston, Hartford, Montreal, New York, Ottawa and Providence. Indianapolis adds Atlanta, Birmingham, Kansas City and Memphis, but loses Baltimore, Boston, Hartford, Montreal, New York, Ottawa, Philadelphia and Providence.

The final tally is 25 major North American metropolitan areas for Pittsburgh, 24 for Cleveland, 23 for Columbus, 22 for Cincinnati and 21 for Indianapolis. And before anybody bellyaches about me including Canadian metropolitan areas, the final tally for major American metropolitan areas is 22 for Columbus and Pittsburgh, 21 for Cincinnati and Cleveland, and 20 for Indianapolis. Furthermore, Pittsburgh is the only one of the five cities in this comparison that has the entire Northeastern megalopolis from Boston to Washington DC within a 500-mile radius. Cleveland doesn't have Boston or Providence. Columbus doesn't have Boston, Hartford or Providence. Cincinnati has nothing but Baltimore and Washington DC. Indianapolis has nothing but Washington DC. Plain and simple, whether driving or flying, Pittsburgh wins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 07:40 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,911,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Because the person who created this topic specified an eight-hour drive; that's why.

Cleveland

Columbus

Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh wins this contest too. Within 500 miles of Pittsburgh are Baltimore, Boston, Buffalo, Charlotte, Chicago, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, Hartford, Indianapolis, Louisville, Milwaukee, Montreal, Nashville, New York, Ottawa, Philadelphia, Providence, Raleigh, Richmond, Rochester, Toronto, Virginia Beach/Norfolk and Washington DC. Cleveland adds St. Louis but loses Boston and Providence. Columbus adds Atlanta, Birmingham and St. Louis but loses Boston, Hartford, Montreal, Ottawa and Providence. Cincinnati adds Atlanta, Birmingham and Memphis, but loses Boston, Hartford, Montreal, New York, Ottawa and Providence. Indianapolis adds Atlanta, Birmingham, Kansas City and Memphis, but loses Baltimore, Boston, Hartford, Montreal, New York, Ottawa, Philadelphia and Providence.

The final tally is 25 major North American metropolitan areas for Pittsburgh, 24 for Cleveland, 23 for Columbus, 22 for Cincinnati and 21 for Indianapolis. And before anybody bellyaches about me including Canadian metropolitan areas, the final tally for major American metropolitan areas is 22 for Columbus and Pittsburgh, 21 for Cincinnati and Cleveland, and 20 for Indianapolis. Furthermore, Pittsburgh is the only one of the five cities in this comparison that has the entire Northeastern megalopolis from Boston to Washington DC within a 500-mile radius. Cleveland doesn't have Boston or Providence. Columbus doesn't have Boston, Hartford or Providence. Cincinnati has nothing but Baltimore and Washington DC. Indianapolis has nothing but Washington DC. Plain and simple, whether driving or flying, Pittsburgh wins.
I count 21 US cities for Indianapolis not 20.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:32 PM

383 posts, read 512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
If ever a thread perfectly captured the essence of the general U.S. forum, its this one.

Let's pick three centrally located metros and argue over which one is most centrally located. Lets also make sure the criteria is stacked beyond any practical application to the real world so the OP's hometown is given the best chance to win.

Good luck everyone.
This thread was nothing more than finding out which metro was closest to other metros within a reasonable days drive. Yes Columbus is my hometown but it is often said to be the closest metro to with in a days drive of the %50 of the US population.
I had not considered Pittsburgh or Cleveland but they actually faired better than the three I chose.. Some people actually are asking valid questions on here and not trying to fill an agenda.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:44 PM

383 posts, read 512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
If ever a thread perfectly captured the essence of the general U.S. forum, its this one.

Let's pick three centrally located metros and argue over which one is most centrally located. Lets also make sure the criteria is stacked beyond any practical application to the real world so the OP's hometown is given the best chance to win.

Good luck everyone.
This thread was nothing more than finding out which metro was closest to other metros within a reasonable days drive. Yes Columbus is my hometown but it is often said to be the closest metro to with in a days drive of the %50 of the US population.
I had not considered Pittsburgh or Cleveland but they actually faired better than the three I chose.. Some people actually are asking valid questions on here and not trying to fill an agenda.

Old 08-15-2015, 03:16 PM

114 posts, read 125,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbusflyer View Post
indiana posters just mad that col about to pass indy in population

Old 08-15-2015, 04:28 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,911,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbusflyer View Post
Actually it was metro population over 1,000,000 at the distance of 500 miles or less. You were only one over Indianapolis. Keep in mind Indianapolis is only 509 miles from Baltimore and 503 miles from Minneapolis so it really isn't want I would consider a slam dunk.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:36 PM

389 posts, read 330,428 times
Interesting thread. Living in the Cincy suburbs we've hopped in the car and driven to places like Toronto, DC, Atlanta, Chicago, and Cleveland. Although the drive is not bad those typically are multi day trips. For actual day trips we are very close to five good size metro areas. I'd guesstimate 1.5 hour drive to Indy, about the same to Columbus, maybe 2 hours to both Louisville and Lexington, 30 minutes to downtown Dayton, and of course metro Cincinnati. Great for day trips for kids as each city has much to offer.

Old 08-17-2015, 01:13 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,773,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post

Cleveland

Columbus

Pittsburgh

Those maps reminded me, Pittsburgh has another advantage too besides the driving to many cities. it being closer to the coast means that you can drive to the mid-atlantic beaches in under 6 hours. If you leave at 6 am, you can be chilling at the beach by noon- so you don't lose a whole day to travel like you would from the other areas.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:36 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Those maps reminded me, Pittsburgh has another advantage too besides the driving to many cities. it being closer to the coast means that you can drive to the mid-atlantic beaches in under 6 hours. If you leave at 6 am, you can be chilling at the beach by noon- so you don't lose a whole day to travel like you would from the other areas.
That's true to an extent. A six-hour drive will get you to a fair number of beaches in New Jersey and Delaware, and an eight-hour drive will get you to any beach between Long Island and Virginia Beach. Here's the distance from Pittsburgh to some of the notable Mid- and South Atlantic beaches, arranged by distance...

354 miles (6:04) to Lewes Beach, DE
356 miles (6:16) to Rehoboth Beach, DE
364 miles (6:17) to Bethany Beach, DE
367 miles (5:48) to Atlantic City, NJ
369 miles (5:54) to Ocean City, NJ
372 miles (6:04) to Seaside Heights, NJ
382 miles (6:25) to Ocean City, MD
389 miles (6:16) to Sandy Hook, NJ
394 miles (6:19) to The Wildwoods, NJ
395 miles (6:19) to Rockaway Beach, NY
397 miles (6:22) to Cape May, NJ
407 miles (6:39) to Atlantic Beach, NY
437 miles (7:05) to Fire Island, NY
444 miles (7:06) to Virginia Beach, VA
457 miles (7:33) to Westhampton Beach, NY
509 miles (8:14) to Kill Devil Hills, NC
514 miles (8:22) to Nags Head, NC
565 miles (9:22) to Cape Hatteras, NC
593 miles (9:32) to Surf City, NC
594 miles (9:37) to Atlantic Beach, NC
602 miles (9:24) to Wrightsville Beach, NC
612 miles (9:39) to Carolina Beach, NC
611 miles (10:00) to Myrtle Beach, SC
620 miles (9:56) to North Myrtle Beach, SC
628 miles (10:00) to Ocean Isle Beach, NC
639 miles (10:47) to Cape Fear, NC (includes a ferry)
663 miles (10:15) to Isle of Palms, SC
701 miles (10:56) to Hilton Head Island, SC
715 miles (11:07) to Tybee Island, GA
775 miles (11:52) to St. Simon's Island, GA
782 miles (11:53) to Jekyll Island, GA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.