Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 12:49 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,328,241 times

Advertisements

great pic senah , I could see some teutonic tribe walking through there or roman soldiers walking through there. Makes me want to go watch opening scene of gladiator again or a bbc documentary on the romans or the northern barbarians. great stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 05:00 PM

387 posts, read 554,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
great pic senah , I could see some teutonic tribe walking through there or roman soldiers walking through there. Makes me want to go watch opening scene of gladiator again or a bbc documentary on the romans or the northern barbarians. great stuff
Yeah - isn't the internet a dangerous place for day dreaming? It really is amazing what 'stand-in' places can look like.

My husband and I were watching the Hatfields and McCoys series (with Kevin Costner) set in WV/KY (he is from KY, my family is from SW VA), and we were like "Wow, I didn't hear about them filming in our neck of the woods. Good on them for actually going to where these events took place and filming there, and giving money to these poor communities!" Well, filmed in Romania. But man did it look amazingly beautiful and just like the woods and ponds I remember wandering around in as a kid.

There are some spectacular places out there, and you can really tell a great director or DP when you see scenes like the one you talk about in Gladiator that just stick with you. The wheat field scene from that film affected me similarly. Out here in MT when we are driving through seas of wheat out in the eastern part of the state and see a tree up on a hill, and the wind is blowing, I often think of that scene in Gladiator set in Spain, and then start looking around for Roman legions

Old 08-13-2015, 05:53 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,328,241 times
Thats funny, I remember going to the mountains of north carolina and asked about the novel cold mountain they made into a movie, there is actually a mountain called cold mountain in pisgah forest but locals told us they shot most of the film in romania!

That villa in gladiator where he walks through elysium was filmed in Val d'Orcia in tuscany, tuscany is one of the most beautiful places in the world.

wikimedia commons photos

Old 08-13-2015, 06:05 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,620,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
Thats funny, I remember going to the mountains of north carolina and asked about the novel cold mountain they made into a movie, there is actually a mountain called cold mountain in pisgah forest but locals told us they shot most of the film in romania!

That villa in gladiator where he walks through elysium was filmed in Val d'Orcia in tuscany, tuscany is one of the most beautiful places in the world.

wikimedia commons photos

The mountains in the movie "Cold Mountain" are nothing like the N. C. Cold Mountain. Cold Mountain has trees all over it. I saw rock formations sticking up from the Cold Mountain in the movie. Maybe they were looking for the weather conditions when they chose the location.

Last of the Mohicans was filmed in the Lake Lure, N. C. area.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:28 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
PA Wilds. One of the most remote regions of the Eastern US with thick brush and trees.
Seconded. Easily one of the most rugged and remote areas in the Eastern US. Near 100% forest cover.

Specifically Hammersley Wild Area
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammersley_Wild_Area

Or Quehanna Wild Area which is the largest wild area on the east coast and has the largest native birch forest in the US.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quehanna_Wild_Area

Last edited by speagles84; 08-14-2015 at 06:37 AM..

Old 08-14-2015, 10:11 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,175,525 times
It depends on what type of trees you're looking for. The movie won't look right with the wrong trees, topography, architecture etc. etc.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:15 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,122,095 times
Eastern Ohio, specifically Ashtabula and Geauga Counties, as well as Western PA have some of the most biologically diverse deciduous forests in the US. They're very primordial looking, and have many different types of trees and plants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.