Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 04:56 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Fort Worth is artsy, funky, fun, with lots of museums, art galleries, and great restaurants. I think you could find a one bedroom condo or loft in your price range.

People often don't think of Fort Worth as being as creative and artsy as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I think New Orleans would be too cold.
What? New Orleans has very mild winters!

OP, New Orleans is extremely artsy and funky. The only thing that would worry me would be leaving your home empty for much of the time. I love me some Nawlins and there is literally no place like it - but even with all that love, I have to admit the crime rate is high. And don't let anyone tell you, "Oh that's only in certain neighborhoods." Yes, it IS worse in certain neighborhoods, but it's higher than average throughout.

Let me put it this way - I'm originally from New Orleans. I LOVE New Orleans. I'm a Saints fan (prerequisite for living there by the way). I visit New Orleans as often as I can. I don't worry about crime when I'm down there. But I don't think I would be comfortable owning property there that I left vacant for months at a time.

Still - you know, there are alarm systems. You could rent it out (Nawlins is a popular vacation spot during every season of the year). You could live in a gated community, I guess. It might be worth the additional hassle to you. If you haven't been to New Orleans before, I do encourage you to visit and consider it. Even if you don't decide on it, you will have a fabulous time on your vacation!

Old 09-05-2015, 02:00 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
What? New Orleans has very mild winters!

OP, New Orleans is extremely artsy and funky. The only thing that would worry me would be leaving your home empty for much of the time. I love me some Nawlins and there is literally no place like it - but even with all that love, I have to admit the crime rate is high. And don't let anyone tell you, "Oh that's only in certain neighborhoods." Yes, it IS worse in certain neighborhoods, but it's higher than average throughout.

Let me put it this way - I'm originally from New Orleans. I LOVE New Orleans. I'm a Saints fan (prerequisite for living there by the way). I visit New Orleans as often as I can. I don't worry about crime when I'm down there. But I don't think I would be comfortable owning property there that I left vacant for months at a time.

Still - you know, there are alarm systems. You could rent it out (Nawlins is a popular vacation spot during every season of the year). You could live in a gated community, I guess. It might be worth the additional hassle to you. If you haven't been to New Orleans before, I do encourage you to visit and consider it. Even if you don't decide on it, you will have a fabulous time on your vacation!
New Orleans is one of my favorite places I've ever been to, and I'm talking top 3. That said, winters are not sunny, warm and dry there. There are hurricanes and it can get into freezing temps, too. Compared to Canada, it would be better, for sure, - but with that criteria, then CA would work, too. But, New Orleans is not a snowbird destination for warm, dry sunny winter weather.

Old 09-05-2015, 12:05 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,924,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
New Orleans is one of my favorite places I've ever been to, and I'm talking top 3. That said, winters are not sunny, warm and dry there. There are hurricanes and it can get into freezing temps, too. Compared to Canada, it would be better, for sure, - but with that criteria, then CA would work, too. But, New Orleans is not a snowbird destination for warm, dry sunny winter weather.
Majority of winter days in New Orleans have highs in the 60s and lows in the 40s, which is beyond mild. You say that New Orleans is too cold, yet you recommend Savannah, which gets colder and freezes more often during winter, for the OP?

Old 09-05-2015, 01:20 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,429,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shass6 View Post
An up and coming city is Pensacola FL. Actually anything in the Florida panhandle would suit your needs but Pensacola is less touristy than its neighbor Destin. Lots of new great restaurants, very chill atmosphere. It's beautiful. Hot and humid in the summers and warm ( though we do have some cold days in the winter they are short lived). We have a very nice little accessible airport with plenty of connections to the big cities. It's an awesome little city!
My parents are retired there, and they love it. They are not artistic, but there are definitely lots of restaurants.

Old 09-05-2015, 05:09 PM

127 posts, read 156,387 times
I would choose New Orleans

Old 09-08-2015, 06:45 AM

Savannah, Charleston, New Orleans come to mind immediately.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:26 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
Charleston has a lot of top rated restaurants, if he can find a condo in his budget. It should be very easy to find a condo in the outlying areas on a bus line, though not the ideal option.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:07 PM

650 posts, read 868,222 times
Florida California or Arizona.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:22 PM

3 posts, read 3,310 times
Is Savannah safe enough to go walking about in? Just from reading about it, it sounds ghastly (looks great, sounds completely unsafe), like roving gangs patrol the heritage neighbourhood near downtown, ready to pounce ... lots of talk about how tourists shouldn't worry because they'll be back in their hotel/restaurant after dark--but I won't be, not if I live there and Rover needs a walk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.