Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 04:46 PM

3 posts, read 3,303 times

Advertisements

Retirement is almost upon me and I'd better start planning!

I don't want to move permanently, just get a second home. Since I'll be leaving it empty half the year, I'm hoping for a condo/townhouse, and that rules out lots of areas which really only have single-family homes.

I live in Vancouver and am spoiled with wonderful restaurants--that'll be a must. I'd like the neighbourhood to be walkable, with a Main Street atmosphere, not car-centric. I'm a well-educated gay man, so anything too rural or redneck will not be terribly suitable Oh, and I really want warm winters (i.e. 14 Celsius highs in January, or 55 Fahrenheit or higher) as that's the point of leaving.

It would be great if a decent condo went for $200K, but I'm okay up to $300K.

So: which Neighbourhood in which City has

warm winters
walkable streets
a Main Street atmosphere
a creative, educated population
great restaurants
condos or townhouses

Bits of Southern California (e.g. Pasadena, Santa Barbara) look great, except for the price. Can I get all of that at a reasonable cost elsewhere in the U.S.?

Thanks,

Ash
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 06:58 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,160,922 times
Are we talking about just a 1 bed condo?

I would look in Houston, Atlanta, and all the big cities of FL. New Orleans and Phoenix could work too but I'm not as familiar with them.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:38 AM

3 posts, read 3,303 times
Sure, just a 1 bed condo would be fine, though I'd be happier with 2 bed 2 bath. I'm imagining more walks outside in the warm winter sun, volunteering at the local museum, etc., rather than holing up inside through the grueling Dec/Jan and needing extra inside space--so in a pinch, for the right place, a 1 bed would do.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:11 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,471,404 times
hmmm I think that your best bet would be downtown San Diego, Old Town Scottsdale, Downtown New Orleans, or Midtown Atlanta. I've only lived in scottsdale so I can only comment on that, but I've been to all three other cities and all match your criteria, although I'm pretty sure that Atlanta gets colder than 55 in winter lol.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:13 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times
Scottsdale, AZ, mainly around the Old Town area (Sc should suit you just fine. Its expensive, but not nearly as bad as SoCal. Its got a great nightlife scene, tons of restaurants, and lots of outdoor activities to enjoy during our mild winters. Be warned, there are several nights a year where we can get to around freezing temps, but most nights are in the 40-60 degree range.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:38 PM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleylm View Post
Retirement is almost upon me and I'd better start planning!

I don't want to move permanently, just get a second home. Since I'll be leaving it empty half the year, I'm hoping for a condo/townhouse, and that rules out lots of areas which really only have single-family homes.

I live in Vancouver and am spoiled with wonderful restaurants--that'll be a must. I'd like the neighbourhood to be walkable, with a Main Street atmosphere, not car-centric. I'm a well-educated gay man, so anything too rural or redneck will not be terribly suitable Oh, and I really want warm winters (i.e. 14 Celsius highs in January, or 55 Fahrenheit or higher) as that's the point of leaving.

It would be great if a decent condo went for $200K, but I'm okay up to $300K.

So: which Neighbourhood in which City has

warm winters
walkable streets
a Main Street atmosphere
a creative, educated population
great restaurants
condos or townhouses

Bits of Southern California (e.g. Pasadena, Santa Barbara) look great, except for the price. Can I get all of that at a reasonable cost elsewhere in the U.S.?

Thanks,

Ash
I think Savannah would be a great option, which unlike many of the other options provided so far actually has a creative, educated population and definitely the walkability you desire with downtown historic neighborhoods offering Walk Scores in the high 70s and 80s. The average high temperature in January is around 61 degrees with plenty of sunshine.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,228 times
An up and coming city is Pensacola FL. Actually anything in the Florida panhandle would suit your needs but Pensacola is less touristy than its neighbor Destin. Lots of new great restaurants, very chill atmosphere. It's beautiful. Hot and humid in the summers and warm ( though we do have some cold days in the winter they are short lived). We have a very nice little accessible airport with plenty of connections to the big cities. It's an awesome little city!

Old 09-02-2015, 11:28 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Someone already mentioned Phoenix metro and I will bring it up again. You're going to find the California vibe here but for a cheaper price. I'd recommend Old Town Scottsdale as others have already suggested. Another potential location would be Tempe, which is a few miles south.

Tucson is another great option. I would suggest looking at apartments near Downtown. DT Tucson is a bit more lively as it's close to it's bar scene (DT Phoenix is not necessarily close to Mill Ave. or Old Town) and all the art galleries on 6th and 6th. Tucson is also cheaper. If you live near DT or the University you can take the light rail which runs every 10 minutes during the day and I believe drops to 20 at night. I find Tucson to have more a creative, liberal vibe than it's bigger brother 2 hours north.

I strongly suggest living near 4th Avenue or DT here in Tucson as you'll find that "Main Street" vibe you are looking for. Other areas of Tucson... Not so much.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:37 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Las Vegas of course. Loaded with Canadians escaping the winter.

Pretty much the best city on the continent for entertainment and food.

Pretty well meet your price point.

If your older one of the Sun Cities. If younger one of the communities convenient to the strip.

You can find neighborhoods that are locally walkable...but don't get fished in. None of the SW US cities are walkable. We built them to have a car and you cannot get around it. Pretty much true of the eastern sunbelt as well anywhere warm is auto based.

Take a look got to be a few ten thousand of your country men already here in January.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:47 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Winter in CA is mild along the coast, but it's our rainy season, even in southern CA. My friends in WA and Canada go to Arizona, where it's mainly dry and sunny in winter. I could list towns that you might enjoy in CA, but I don't think you'd find the winter weather you want, at least not in a non-drought year. Remember all those stories about mud slides in southern CA happen in the winter after torrential rains.

I love the idea of Savannah. I've always wanted to go there.

I lived in Nashville for several years a long time ago, and we vacationed in the Destin, FL area. It's beautiful, but I was surprised at how redneck it was there. So, if you consider that area, you should check that out. For some reason, I didn't expect the locals to talk with southern accents. I guess my idea of FL was formed by Miami Vice lol.

At the mention of FL, though, I thought of Miami. Would be great weather-wise, lots of great food, should be lots of condos, not sure about highly-educated population in general, but I bet you could find your niche there.

I think New Orleans would be too cold.

And by the way, I moved to Mexico for a year, and advise you against buying property there, in case it was in the back of your mind. Buying property there is a can of worms. I could tell you stories.

Of all of the places mentioned, I'm leaning towards Savannah for you, though, as far as meeting your list of criteria. I think that's the best suggestion so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.