Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 12:56 PM

218 posts, read 840,290 times

Advertisements

Richmond, Virginia seems to meet every one of your needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 01:48 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,386,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I would look into the Albany area then. You may like a town like Colonie, which is a suburb that is close to the 3 major urban communities in the area, as well as Saratoga Springs and other towns/cities. Plenty of ago shopping, as well as good schools. You may also like parts of Guilderland or Delmar in the town of Betglehem just south of Albany. You have the Adirondacks, Catskills and Berkshires within an hour or so. NYC and Boston are within a few hours too. So, it is in a pretty good location and it is a metro of about 870,000(58th biggest in the country).
It does seem to be in a prime location, for us at least. It definitely meets our wants as far as weather, and being close(enough) to NYC and Boston would meet the requirements for the arts, museums, history, and the like. It is also in a great area for outdoor activities. It doesn't seem to be too awfully expensive, and I know NY has plenty of fall festivals and whatnot, so that is great. I will definitely have to do some research on the towns you have mentioned, and the schools in the area, but I may have to get up there for a visit!

Old 10-02-2015, 05:22 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
It does seem to be in a prime location, for us at least. It definitely meets our wants as far as weather, and being close(enough) to NYC and Boston would meet the requirements for the arts, museums, history, and the like. It is also in a great area for outdoor activities. It doesn't seem to be too awfully expensive, and I know NY has plenty of fall festivals and whatnot, so that is great. I will definitely have to do some research on the towns you have mentioned, and the schools in the area, but I may have to get up there for a visit!
It is also big enough on its own in terms of things to do. So, you may not have to or want to go to either NYC or Boston for things to do.

Old 10-04-2015, 03:57 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Another area that could work: https://rocwiki.org

Old 10-10-2015, 07:26 PM

18 posts, read 20,530 times
You sound like poster-children for Portland, Maine. Lots to do, and only 2 hours from Boston with even more to do!

Old 10-14-2015, 11:16 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Hello all! So here is the deal: My wife and I are currently living in Mobile, AL, having moved here from Memphis, TN for my job. My wife was born and raised in the Winston-Salem area of NC, and we have never lived anywhere but the south. There are a lot of things we like down here, but the cons far outweigh them. So I will give you guys some background info, and what we are looking for, and hopefully you guys can give us some new locations to check out!

We are in our late 20's, and we have a 3 year old son. We love being outdoors doing whatever we can. We love the beach, hiking, camping, and just about any other outdoor activity. I have recently gotten into fishing as well. I have gotten to where I loathe the heat and humidity. I can take it in doses, but when it is everyday for months at a time, I start having some breathing issues caused by it, which leads to me having to stay inside. My wife and I both enjoy cold weather and snow, and our favorite season is by far fall. We are both atheist/agnostic, so the religion aspect is one reason we are looking to move. Our son is a very bright kid who needs constant stimulation. Here in Mobile, it doesn't take long before you have seen everything nearby, and things start to get boring for him.

Things we are looking for:

-First and foremost, a good area to raise our son. We are looking for good schools, low crime (who isn't?), and a community type feel. I mean somewhere where people take pride in their city. Somewhere that has a lot of festivals/fairs would be great.
-Would love somewhere with a lot a history/historical type things to do. Museums/battlefields/etc. My wife and I are both history buffs, and my son, at 3, already seems to headed that direction as well. His favorite places down here are the Naval Air Station Museum and the USS Alabama. I realize it could just be that they have cool planes/boats, but I hope he will share our interest!
-Would love somewhere with a defined downtown area. This is just something that would be cool to have, but not really a necessity.
- We are also big art fans. I, myself enjoy the visual arts, such as paintings/drawing/sculpture/photography, while my wife enjoys more of the performing arts. Somewhere where these things are nearby would be great.
-We want a decent FALL! We do not get one here in south AL, and Memphis wasn't much better.
-We also want snow! It doesn't have to be a dominant feature, but we would love for our son to be able to play in the snow, and maybe an occasional white Christmas.
-We don't want to be in a large city. We would prefer a smaller city that may be within, say, 40 miles of a larger city/metro area.
-We want somewhere that won't break the bank. The Northeast would be perfect for all of our art needs, as well as the great fall and several other things, but it is quite expensive. We may still end up going that direction, but we now want to include the rest of the country. Anywhere that would fit!

I know it looks like a daunting list, but we don't have to have everything. Any place that you think may fit, please, let us know! Let me know if you need any other info, I will happily provide it! Thanks in advance!

Geneva, IL sounds absolutely perfect for you. Check it out, Im sure youll love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.