Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,914 times

Advertisements

I want to get out of LA.
Can anyone suggest a city-that is alive, lots of things to do and where people are nice?
LA. has changed, I am originally form NYC., and i like to be around warm loving easy going people with good hearts. I ilke Fla, the heat in the sumer is to much for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 01:20 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,873 times
Warm and easy-going will likely put you somewhere towards the south (the nothern cities tend to be a bit more reserved and down-to-business).

You could try maybe Nashville. It's vibrant, but not nearly as hot as the FL cities.
Maybe Charleston (SC).

Old 05-21-2008, 01:33 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
I've heard the Midwest and South are pretty friendly in general.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:47 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
I think SCardsBlues is right in general. Still, we all have our own perceptions of these things. A couple of questions to help narrow this down: How much less heat than FL does a place need in order to work for you, how are you with cold weather, what did you like and dislike about NYC (as in, what would your ideal place have and not have that was found in NYC, LA as well)?

Old 05-21-2008, 09:21 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Chicago is very "alive", and the city has a good atmosphere since it's been on the upswing the past 10-12 years. It's pretty down to earth and relaxed for a large urban area.

The Midwest is pretty friendly, although I've always found everyone to be very friendly all across the US. The only place I've gotten a cold shoulder is in the south, but I think that's just cause I was in smaller cities/towns.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:54 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,873 times
The difference between the midwest and the south is that:
Midwesterners are nice, but tend to be reserved with strangers.
Southerners are more outgoing with everyone.

Or, at least, that's what most people seemed to agree on in the thread we had on the topic awhile back.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:00 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
Sometimes southerners have unlying resentment also.

At least that's the feeling I get around here.

Where I live (not saying all the south or all rural areas are like this) people are generally friendly, but you also hear racial slurs, homophobic terms, religious jokes. The people are plenty friendly, but sometimes it's just a facade. Someone who is different will probably take a while to be accepted. Even then, people may still be standoffish. You don't want to be a muslim around here, or gay (unless you've been here a long time, then sometimes it's easier to accept). People won't physically hurt you, but people might be more standoffish if you don't fit the mold (white, middle-lower class, Christian). The only minorities I know here have been here as long as I can remember, and they're generally accepted. I know 2 black kids (+ 1 half), 2 half-mexicans, 2 half-koreans. They seem to be generally accepted, but hearing the "N Word" isn't uncommon. If you're gonna be a minority here, especially in high school, you will hear things. You need to have a thick skin.

From midwesterners it seems like they are nice, but not as openly hospitable. They'll be nice and help you if they can, but they won't go out of their way. Their tolerance for annoyance may be less. They're generally considered more open-minded, but still not as much as Californians most likely.

Also, southerners tend to be protestant, Baptist especially. You'll probably find more Catholics in the midwest.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:20 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Austin, TX
Asheville, NC
Charlottesville, VA

Old 05-22-2008, 11:43 PM

68 posts, read 294,272 times
Austin is fun but it is very hot in the summer. Try Portland, OR.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:59 AM

808 posts, read 3,648,078 times
Fort Worth, TX
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.