Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2015, 03:53 PM

352 posts, read 550,959 times

Advertisements

What city would you say is the best city for families or college students or young professionals or older people or all of the above.

Some cities tend to be great for one of the above but terrible for the other groups. Do any of you know a city that is all around great for all of these groups?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 05:19 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
The Los Angeles Metro. There is UCLA and USC and many more private colleges. In the outlying metro, public schools are excellent. It's a world-class city with opportunities for almost every profession. And older people benefit from excellent medical care (and the state expanded access to Medcaid if needed), freedom from winter snow and cold, and if they are homeowners who stay put, they can benefit from unexpected big year-over-year property taxes. All groups have the benefit of proximity to nature and ability for outdoor exercise year-round, an international airport, museums and culture.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:33 PM

I would have said Seattle when we lived out that way. Just an all around great city. Great for family and kids, great jobs and places to work, great night life, mind blowing natural assets everywhere.. but it's gotten so expensive (or "spendy" as people in the NW say) that it's priced out retirees and many others.

All cities seemed to be getting too expensive for many people.. I wonder if we are going to get more and more separated from one another.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:40 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VASpaceMan View Post
All cities seemed to be getting too expensive for many people.. I wonder if we are going to get more and more separated from one another.
Your statement defies the reality where big cities are growing well above the national average, probably due to the fact they tend to be where the better-paying jobs are along with amenities such as cultural scenes, great restaurants/food and good public transit.

http://www.slate.com/content/dam/sla...ediumlarge.png

Old 11-28-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Your statement defies the reality where big cities are growing well above the national average, probably due to the fact they tend to be where the better-paying jobs are along with amenities such as cultural scenes, great restaurants/food and good public transit.

http://www.slate.com/content/dam/sla...ediumlarge.png
Kyle, I didn't mean people aren't flocking to cities, I know they are. What I meant is that cities are becoming more and more expensive so that it's pricing out much of the population. E.g. the DC area where I live right now, although it's an extreme example. Small condos downtown start at 800k and up. A little farther out in close in neighborhoods/burbs like Arlington, Alexandria, townhouses start at 500k, small fixer upper single family homes start at 600/700k. Farther out (e.g. Rockville, Fairfax) townhouses 400, single family 500/600. Lawyers are rooming together in order to afford the area. Read that sentence again. My relative, a DC cop, moved to Fredericksburg, VA in order to afford living here (1hour drive with no traffic which almost never happens in DC, 1.5-2hours one way with traffic).

Now this is an extreme example, but this area is affordable compared to NYC and SF... but it seems like more and more cities are following this pattern. You hear more and more about the middle class and working class being priced out of cities (where the jobs are). What about retirees? I'm wondering where my Dad is going to live, there's absolutely no way he would ever be able to live anywhere near DC. That's part of what I meant about everyone becoming more and more separated. Are our parents going to live in the far out affordable countryside while we live in the cities?

Old 12-03-2015, 05:47 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
I would say Austin.

Old 12-05-2015, 11:34 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VASpaceMan View Post
Kyle, I didn't mean people aren't flocking to cities, I know they are. What I meant is that cities are becoming more and more expensive so that it's pricing out much of the population.
It's pricing out some of the population. However if in fact cities are growing with net gains, it means overall growth is still occurring and not as you state "pricing out much of the population"...which would indicate falling numbers.

Old 12-05-2015, 02:43 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,400,335 times
Without a doubt DC/DC area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.