Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 02:22 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,430,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
They simply want to project their own superior existence to the native rubes.
Without checking your profile and having never come across you before I can tell you're a right winger and you post a lot in the Politics forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 05:11 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
Without checking your profile and having never come across you before I can tell you're a right winger and you post a lot in the Politics forum.

Wow, you sure can tell a lot by just reading a simple post like this.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:49 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,302,957 times
Well, since this is turning nasty, I will relate a funny experience I had when I, a lifetime Texan, moved up to Boston as a twenty-something with my husband and family. A new friend was relating how they had made a historical movie in that town and nothing had to be changed at all, except "they had to get the cows off the street." I had to think about that one a long time until I realized she had said, "they had to get the CARS off the street."

Old 12-14-2015, 12:08 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Northerners don't have accents.
Completely false. Have you never been to New England, Noo Yawk, or Wiscahhhnsin?

Old 12-14-2015, 12:15 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
LOL, looks who's being judgmental and stereotyping now.

No, even us educated liberals in the South notice the condescending attitudes many from large Northern cities have towards Southern people, even as they move here like plagues of locusts. Seems like if things were so much better where they come from (as they are quick to remind us), they'd have stayed put, I dunno.

But as someone with training in Linguistics, I have long paid attention to regional accents, and I can say there ARE people who are softening their Northern accent when they move South, you just don't notice them. The reason Southerners tend to adopt "standard" US accents when they go north is a) Northerners frequently make stereotypical presumptions about Southern people as stupid, overly religious, etc and a Southerner who does not want to be seen that way will consciously try to lose most of the accent to avoid being "tagged", but also, standard "Northern" American is what we hear on TV and in the movies, so it's not like trying to adopt to an entirely different "sound". Someone who moves South, however, has had less exposure to authentic "Southern" accents (I'm not counting the botched ones you usually hear in the movies), so even if the people all around them are Southern, they're less likely to adopt the sound. You DO often find transplants to the South adopting "y'all", however

Old 12-14-2015, 01:46 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,194,450 times
Why would somebody WANT to learn to talk with a Southern accent?

Old 12-14-2015, 04:30 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,282,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Why would somebody WANT to learn to talk with a Southern accent?
Could say the same thing about Boston or North Dakota or any other accent you're not accustomed to.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:49 PM

107 posts, read 100,918 times
The Rhode Island Dictionary [ILLUSTRATED]

I moved to Houston in my 20's for 4 years. When I moved back to RI I found myself still saying, as a friend of mine used to, "I'm FIXIN to go....(name a place I where I was about to go)" I also still have trouble pronouncing "important" properly. I still say it like I heard the southerners do, instead of how I was raised to say it, something like "impor'ent".

I hate to say it, but when I go downtown and have to wait for the bus, you can still hear the blue collar, horrible RI accents that are much different than those from Boston. It's an accent all it's own, sort of a micro-climate. I find many of the upwardly mobile people (or those trying to sound like it) are trying to adopt SAE so as not to be pegged.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:00 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,194,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Could say the same thing about Boston or North Dakota or any other accent you're not accustomed to.
Yeah, but you don't see many threads about "why won't people from the South talk like we do in Fargo?". Besides, I was being cheeky.....gotta laugh at threads like this.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:45 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
I've lived in Massachusetts my entire life but when I go to Boston, there are people I can barely understand. Maybe it's more south of Boston, I don't know, but it can be almost incomprehensible. I don't think it's a very attractive accent--but they can't help it, LOL.

My sister moved to Virginia bout 25 years ago and I can hear a tiny bit of southern accent in her voice. At least she's not saying y'all yet. A soft cultured southern accent sounds nice to me. So does a northern non-Boston and non-NY/NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.