Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2015, 03:55 PM

62 posts, read 98,721 times

Advertisements

Hi CD,

I'm currently located in Sacramento, CA. As much as I love living here and the weather we are currently having, it gets far too warm in the summer for my liking. I definitely enjoy dry weather as opposed to hot/humid weather due to the fact that I do not like the feeling of sweating and feeling "hot" in the summer. Soon I will be graduating from college and I will most likely be looking for a new place to live. I am looking for a specific climate that may or may not exist here in the United States. The climate is a huge deciding factor for me depending on where I go, and this is why I need your help!

Things I'm looking for in a new city:

-Prefer a dry climate with little humidity such as California
-Doesn't exceed 75-80 degrees Fahrenheit during summer (this one is key)
-A fair share of sun, rain, with occasional snow. I've visited Portland and Seattle during both seasons, and as much as their summers are nearly perfect, I wouldn't be able to withstand the long, dreary gray winters. Rain isn't so much of an issue, and I would love to live in a place that has at least 20 inches of yearly precipitation, yet somewhere that still sees plenty of sun during winter.
-Population doesn't matter much, but I want there to be some type of opportunity for future employment

Any comments are highly appreciated. Thank you for the help in advance!

Last edited by rnb17; 12-21-2015 at 04:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 04:30 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Maybe Portland Maine. edit Denver would be better.

Old 12-21-2015, 05:30 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
If you can live without the snow, and most of the rain, coastal areas of SoCal like Santa Barbara, Ventura, Malibu, Santa Monica, the beach communities, and especially San Diego come to mind.

There is also a dry side of Maui.

Old 12-21-2015, 05:56 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,520,124 times
The best suggestion I have for you is Bend, Oregon.

Summers are dry with average highs in in the upper-70s and low-80s and chilly lows in the mid- or upper-40s. In the winter, you're looking at highs in the 40s and lows in the 20s. Being east of the Cascades, Bend is a lot less gloomy than Western Oregon cites like Portland and Eugene. You'll expect about 10 inches or rain and 20 inches of snow a year. So, it's like a cooler, dryer Sacramento.

I'll suggest Santa Fe too, which is similar to Bend, but a bit more extreme. In the summer, you'll see highs averaging in the mid- or upper-80s and lows in upper-60s. In January, you'll expect highs in the low-40s and lows around freezing. Santa Fe averages 23 inches of snow and 14 inches of rain per year.

I gave Flagstaff, Arizona some thought. It has very mild summers, comparable to Bend, but some winters can be exceptionally snowy while others are not.

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 12-21-2015 at 06:12 PM..

Old 12-21-2015, 06:22 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Leadville, Colorado. Never had a high temp over 90 degrees. Summers are short and winters are long.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:07 PM

62 posts, read 98,721 times
Thanks for everyone's opinions. I would definitely consider Bend, but the job market seems a little tight. I am a Marketing/Communications major, if that helps. Any more suggestions? Appreciate it!

Old 12-22-2015, 10:13 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnb17 View Post
Thanks for everyone's opinions. I would definitely consider Bend, but the job market seems a little tight. I am a Marketing/Communications major, if that helps. Any more suggestions? Appreciate it!
In that case I'll second Denver. It does get above 90 here but the dry climate means you can leave your windows open during the summer most nights. On really hot days you can escape into the mountains and the temps will usually be 10-15 degrees cooler.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:16 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,520,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnb17 View Post
In that case, what matters more? Cool, dry summers or sunny winters?

If mild summers matter more, your best mid-sized city is Spokane.

If sunny winters matter more, your best mid-sized city is Colorado Springs.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:55 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
IMO Denver is too hot, so I say Colorado Springs.

Otherwise, it's coastal CA and no snow, or Seattle and dreary.

IMO Spokane is too hot too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.