Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 09:15 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
You can't have your windows open because of dust?? That's a new one

We do get a few dust storms during the monsoon season, but its not a year-round occurrence.
He said that you can when it's not monsoon season, but not all day long because of the dust. So, it's not dusty all year round then? I couldn't exist without my windows open.

I've seen videos of the haboobs in the Phoenix area and they look really awful. My friend has a friend near Tucson and she said they had a dust storm the other day (December) and she has to spend the day cleaning. Even with windows shut, dust can seep in anyway, but not to a great extent as keeping them open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 09:27 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,095,282 times
Huntsville does sound like it could work for the OP. Considering that there's going to be an extra 40 billion for defense spending, Huntsville metro will probably get to 500k by the end of the decade.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:22 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I was seriously considering Ventura County after you posted because I love California weather and being close to LA but not too close sounded appealing.

Then I saw this article:

Lessons from a housing bubble city, Thousand Oaks California. 74 percent owner occupied housing units with a median home price of $615,000. Median household income of $100,000 cannot support current prices. Million dollar foreclosure going for $712,0

It appears there is a bubble in Ventura County?
That article is ancient, and while Southern California as a whole suffered badly from the housing downturn, some more stable locations (western LA county, OC, Ventura County) didn't suffer as badly as places further inland. Furthermore, and this is especially true in Southern California, incomes have no correlation nor effect on cost of housing.

I was thinking less of Thousand Oaks or Simi Valley for you (boring family areas), and more in the way of Ventura/Oxnard/Camarillo.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:18 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,956,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Once you reach I-8 North of Tucson it will be 5 hours to reach the beaches in SD in the off season. You will need to add time just to get thru Tucson to reach I-10 north. Especially if you live on the East side of Tucson. Remember I mentioned there are no fwy's going east west in Tucson. It is all crowded surface streets with one light after the other. You will find out if you live in Tucson, going anywhere in the car is frustrating and very time consuming. It is a very difficult area to adjust to driving wise, if your use to fwys before living in Tucson. In the summer months add time mainly when you reach SD, because of the traffic. Plus the beaches will be crowded and very limited parking. Also if your staying at a hotel/motel. Be prepared to find most are sold out all summer. What is left is the most expensive or the least desirable. SD is very popular all summer because of people coming from Arizona. They are called Zonies by San Diegans. So make your reservations long in advance if travelling in the summer months.

There once was a time when Tucson SD was about a 5 hour trip, but not so much in this day and age. Now it seems to be more around 6 and can even be longer. You can in most instances though, just speed across the desert once on I-8. There are one or two checkpoints by the Border Patrol along the way. That can slow you up abit. I guess it just really depends on the time of year and traffic conditions.

Have fun.
You can get from Phoenix to San Diego in about 5-6 hours, Tucson is much shorter. Never had issues with getting a hotel there.

Additionally, the beaches of Mexico are much closer, you can get to Rocky Point in about 3 hours from Tucson.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:50 PM

988 posts, read 682,588 times
Quote:
The problem is that Tampa/St. Pete is too big - 2.5 million in metro. I've found that I prefer a mid sized city, that area is too big. I did like the Clearwater beaches though, wow!
If St. Pete is "close, but no cigar" (I love St. Pete!), why not Sarasota? You're on the south side of the bridge, it's slower paced, and the beaches are also spectacular. Anywhere, really, from Anna Maria down to where the people peter out above the Everglades is not "big city."

I was born in Tampa and I've lived in St. Pete and moved away. I had kind of ruled out Sarasota for living, but my wife and I spent a month on the beach there and absolutely loved it. I don't know about jobs, but it's a beautiful place and I think meets your size requirements.

EDIT: I don't know if Sarasota is part of the Tampa/St. Pete metro technically, but if it is, it shouldn't be in my opinion. People do commute, but there is a different feel south of the Sunshine Skyway. You are large away from the influence of the cities.

Old 12-31-2015, 02:24 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
You can get from Phoenix to San Diego in about 5-6 hours, Tucson is much shorter. Never had issues with getting a hotel there.

Additionally, the beaches of Mexico are much closer, you can get to Rocky Point in about 3 hours from Tucson.
Do the beaches of Mexico have crime problems? I hear about border towns having so many issues. In Texas, right across from El Paso, Laredo, and Brownsville it is a death sentence to cross the border. Back in the mid 1990's it was safe as can be, which shows how much things changed.

Old 12-31-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post
If St. Pete is "close, but no cigar" (I love St. Pete!), why not Sarasota? You're on the south side of the bridge, it's slower paced, and the beaches are also spectacular. Anywhere, really, from Anna Maria down to where the people peter out above the Everglades is not "big city."

I was born in Tampa and I've lived in St. Pete and moved away. I had kind of ruled out Sarasota for living, but my wife and I spent a month on the beach there and absolutely loved it. I don't know about jobs, but it's a beautiful place and I think meets your size requirements.

EDIT: I don't know if Sarasota is part of the Tampa/St. Pete metro technically, but if it is, it shouldn't be in my opinion. People do commute, but there is a different feel south of the Sunshine Skyway. You are large away from the influence of the cities.
Sarasota sounds okay. Is it more of a retirement place? I'm not ready for that (ever)...

Old 01-01-2016, 09:46 AM

2,192 posts, read 1,850,403 times
Quote:
Do the beaches of Mexico have crime problems? I hear about border towns having so many issues. In Texas, right across from El Paso, Laredo, and Brownsville it is a death sentence to cross the border. Back in the mid 1990's it was safe as can be, which shows how much things changed.
I was always afraid to go to Rocky Point because of concerns about getting hijacked on the highway in Mexico. My cousins told me I was ridiculous. Apparently, that highway is so well traveled there is never an issue. They have no fear driving to Rocky Point and go often.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
I was always afraid to go to Rocky Point because of concerns about getting hijacked on the highway in Mexico. My cousins told me I was ridiculous. Apparently, that highway is so well traveled there is never an issue. They have no fear driving to Rocky Point and go often.
I looked at google maps and it looks like a two lane road in the desert and then all of a sudden a town on really nice beaches?

Old 01-01-2016, 07:33 PM

16 posts, read 24,213 times
Boise, ID
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.