Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 09:55 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,726 times

Advertisements

I can speak for DC.

Is the career opportunity maximized for everyone?

No. Only the most educated or connected benefit in some of these cities. Bachelors required, Master's or higher preferred should be at the entryway for the DC region. But for those who have that education, the career opportunities are significant, and substantially different. DC has entire careers that only exist here. As such I will be flat out honest, not everybody should move to a high COL city. Some people are not right for it at all. A less high profile city is often the better choice. It doesn't have to be small either. On the east coast you may not be able to cut it in DC, NYC, or Boston, but Philly, Charlotte, or Atlanta is not so bad and you may be able to do well there. The west coast likely has a similar scenario.

The point being is yes the coastal elites are nice in many ways, but not the be all, end all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 10:24 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,888,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
For example, there aren't really any places where you can land a Wall Street job outside of New York City.
San Francisco, Chicago, and Charlotte. Though Boston is growing fast and the fact that many of the individuals in charge of the Bank of America are increasingly headquartered in the NE may change Charlotte's future drastically.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:35 PM

1,156 posts, read 940,361 times
You're missing out on the smug feeling of dismissing everyone in lesser cities who should feel privileged when ever you happen to flyover them on your way to do something important in your awesome life.

On the other hand, life is what you make it no matter where you live.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:14 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,574,402 times
As has been hinted at in this thread, what those who dismiss people who live in big major cities as "smug elitists" are missing is that following one's dreams often REQUIRES one to live in a big major city because that's the only place where those jobs are found. It doesn't matter if you'd like to live somewhere that's "more affordable," this is what you have to do in order to achieve what you want. Want to be an actor in TV or movies? With very few exceptions you need to live in LA or New York, at least at first to establish yourself. Want to be the next Bob Woodward and be a journalist who uncovers the next White House or Congressional scandal? You need to live in DC. Want to build the next Google or Twitter? You need to be in San Francisco or Silicon Valley or a handful of other tech hubs. Want to be the next great fashion designer? New York or maybe LA. There are exceptions to this of course but this is basically true.

What is smug and elitist about wanting to pursue one's dream? Sure 99% of people who attempt these goals fail, but at least some will succeed. I'll take the risk of failure and being called a smug elitist anyday. Worst that happens is I fail, move to a cheaper, slower-paced area, use my experience to get a more normal job, and have the satisfaction of knowing at least I tried to achieve my dream.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:10 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,329,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
San Francisco, Chicago, and Charlotte. Though Boston is growing fast and the fact that many of the individuals in charge of the Bank of America are increasingly headquartered in the NE may change Charlotte's future drastically.
Nope. None of these cities have Wall Street jobs. They have banks, of course, but they don't have the investment banking, hedge fund and private equity fund concentrations.

Regular commercial/consumer banking has almost nothing to do with Wall Street. In fact very little such banking occurs in Manhattan.

The only place outside of NYC where there are "Wall Street jobs" in any abundance is London.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:12 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,329,498 times
Quote:
This is completely possible in most older small cities and towns, especially those with a college or university.
I can't think of even one "older small city" in the U.S. where you could get such an experience. What college town looks and feels remotely like Manhattan?

Old 01-28-2016, 09:25 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,592,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal25 View Post
You're missing out on the smug feeling of dismissing everyone in lesser cities who should feel privileged when ever you happen to flyover them on your way to do something important in your awesome life.

On the other hand, life is what you make it no matter where you live.
This X900

Your life is what you make of it.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:33 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,172,482 times
Quote:
This is completely possible in most older small cities and towns, especially those with a college or university.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I can't think of even one "older small city" in the U.S. where you could get such an experience. What college town looks and feels remotely like Manhattan?
He was talking about the amenities, public transportation, housing styles and employment opportunities available in certain small cities/towns when compared to typical suburbia, not their similarity to Manhattan. And yes, all of those things can be found in certain small cities/college towns--I'm living in one myself. It's just obviously not at the scale of the big boys, but you also wouldn't mistake my workplace or place of residence for typical American suburbia, nor would you with some of the surrounding cities in my region. Nowhere else in this country remotely feels anything like Manhattan, not even some of the other so-called world class cities.

Quote:
It used to be that the big cities were the only trendy places to live. Many have discovered that the satellite towns and cities surrounding the majors offer the same amenities at higher standards and lower cost.
This right here. While many booming cities are legit filling in, many are seeing a lot of growth in their satellite cities, too. And a lot of booming Sunbelt cities are blessed with large municipal boundaries, where population growth there would be considered growth in separate municipalities in the older Northeast/Midwest cities.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:01 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,861 times
Be thankful that everyone doesn't feel the need to live in a major "world class" city. Can you imagine?

Old 01-28-2016, 10:33 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,993,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Nowhere else in this country remotely feels anything like Manhattan, not even some of the other so-called world class cities.

Manhattan has been described as "super urban", and is the only place in the USA to be so designated. I think that Chicago would be the closest to that status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.