Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 12:52 PM

38 posts, read 53,964 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Vermont for 25 years. It's quiet, Burlington is a small city, lots of parks, nature, mountains and lake, but its incredibly cold, trouble meeting people and very expensive to live. I currently live in NYC, I don't like it.

I literally want to live in a small-mid city or outside of one that has access to nature, parks, mountains or lakes/beach. Affordability, generally warm weather and fit for a working professional (tech field) is all i'm asking for.

Can someone help me?

What about parts of Florida near Miami? Portland OR, Asheville, Charleston, Raleigh, Charlotte or any parts of Texas or Arizona?

Last edited by deepindeed; 01-28-2016 at 01:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 07:16 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Price point is the thing missing from your post.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:12 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Atlanta would a great option for you and the tech-heavy north side is also closest to "nature" with lots of outdoor recreation opportunities in near proximity (Chattahoochee River, Lake Lanier, Blue Ridge Mountains to name a few), warmer moderate weather, friendly people generally, a very healthy IT jobs market (and economy in general), a lower cost of living than most big cities and some great smaller towns with character. Check out towns like Decatur and Roswell which have tons to do on their own minus having to commute into the city, yet are close enough for work or should you feel the need for events, etc.

City of Decatur, GA : About
Roswell, GA : Home

Old 01-29-2016, 08:41 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,753,785 times
Atlanta
Nashville
Tampa

Old 01-29-2016, 09:30 AM

38 posts, read 53,964 times
Kyle, THANK YOU! Price point? Hmm, welp, I make 35k in ugly NYC. I have no ability to save any money right now. So, bring on those tax returns! I have an MFA in Audio post/production for film/tv.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:04 AM

387 posts, read 555,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepindeed View Post
I've lived in Vermont for 25 years. It's quiet, Burlington is a small city, lots of parks, nature, mountains and lake, but its incredibly cold, trouble meeting people and very expensive to live. I currently live in NYC, I don't like it.

I literally want to live in a small-mid city or outside of one that has access to nature, parks, mountains or lakes/beach. Affordability, generally warm weather and fit for a working professional (tech field) is all i'm asking for.

Can someone help me?

What about parts of Florida near Miami? Portland OR, Asheville, Charleston, Raleigh, Charlotte or any parts of Texas or Arizona?
Portland is amazing, as are the smaller towns around it. It has basically everything you have mentioned, one of the best food cultures in the nation, outdoors, but it is rainy. I have friends who don't mind that at all, but if you get depressed in the winter, it would be a bad fit. If you don't, it would be great.

Asheville is also a fantastic fit for everything you mentioned except that it isn't a major tech town, so that would be dependent on you being able to find work. However, it is a friendly, outgoing town with lots of social activities, parks, national parks, mountains, arts, etc.

Charleston is very insular and unless you are from there, I would be hesitant to live there. Also, the nicer parts of town are VERY expensive. However, it is beautiful.

Raleigh is in the research triangle which is great for tech - it is also only about 2 hours' drive to amazing mountains and amazing beaches. Because of the universities there (there are 3) it has a lot of activities etc. for people to do so it would be probably easy to meet people, and the price points are good. Lots of cute towns around Raleigh as well if you wanted access to a big place with museums and restaurants and shopping, but wanted to live in a smaller town with that sort of life where you could afford a beautiful 1800s era farm house or house in town, etc.

Charlotte is HUGE, but a lot is going on there - it is definitely a city, more so in the way that Raleigh is because of all the corporations based there. But, family and friends who live there like it. it is big enough however, it could be a bit harder to meet people - you'd have to be pro-active and join some groups/organizations probably to meet people, but it is welcoming as far as neighborhoods I think.

I'm not as familiar with FL/AZ/TX.

Old 01-29-2016, 02:33 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,621,284 times
I wouldn't move to Portland if you're making 35k in NYC really in any field.

As for the OP's actual field, there's also not much market here for film/tv production hiring here, as much of the work that is done here is crews hired up from L.A. Supply > demand.

Old 01-29-2016, 03:39 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
35k, take Portland off your list.

Old 01-29-2016, 03:43 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Perhaps Columbia SC would work due to its size and location between the coast and mountains.

Old 01-29-2016, 03:58 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,854,599 times
At that salary, I'd definitely stay in the southeastern US. It mixes affordability with the warmth you are looking for. Many have already suggested places like Atlanta, Raleigh, Charlotte, etc. Huntsville, AL might be another good choice.

Given what you said, you may want to go as rural as possible while still having access to the job you want. This will afford you a bigger place, AND be closer to the outdoor experience you want.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.