Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the most Celtic influenced?
Canadian Maritimes 16 55.17%
New England 9 31.03%
Appalachia 4 13.79%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 12:40 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,719,258 times

Advertisements

Is it the Canadian Maritimes, New England or Appalachia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 12:52 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,312,185 times
I'd say the Canadian Maritimes, the music is basically Celtic folk music(even more so than the Applachians which shows other influences) and the accents range from the Irish-influence of Newfie and Martime accents to the Scottish Gaelic of Cape Breton. Food also is very influenced by the British Isles. I'd say the Celtic influences of the Martime Provinces is stronger than New England and Applachia where you've had a more diverse range of cultural influences over time.

New England seems to have this more Puritan English imprint in the country and the cities had other ethnic groups that mixed in(Italians, Portugese, and so on). Appalachia was Scots-Irish but had influences from Southern blacks in the south and other groups over time. The Martimes are mostly all Irish or Scottish(and the rest are English-descent or French in some areas closer to Quebec) until recently.

Last edited by CanuckInPortland; 02-22-2016 at 01:33 PM..

Old 02-22-2016, 02:08 PM

I'm inclined to agree. Pretty hard to think of anywhere more Celtic influenced than Cape Breton, Nova Scotia.

I would say the ranking of the three goes: 1) Maritimes, 2) New England, 3) Appalachia.

Old 02-22-2016, 02:27 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,312,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
I'm inclined to agree. Pretty hard to think of anywhere more Celtic influenced than Cape Breton, Nova Scotia.

I would say the ranking of the three goes: 1) Maritimes, 2) New England, 3) Appalachia.
Yes, I agree. There's a lot of Irish in Boston and parts of New England. But there's a lot of Irish and Scottish-descended people in the Maritimes and Newfoundland(about half the population probably). Even a lot of the English immigrants to Newfoundland and Prince Edward Island were from more Celtic areas of England like Cornwall and the West Country. And I doubt there's few places outside the British Isles that look and feel so much like Ireland and Scotland as parts of Atlantic Canada. I mean some towns in Newfoundland or Cape Breton or Nova Scotia can easily pass for a coastal village in Great Britain.

The most Irish island in the world

Old 02-22-2016, 02:42 PM

Should have made it "Atlantic Canada" to include Newfoundland also.

The St. John's area/Avalon Peninsula is probably the most Irish-descended place on the continent. Rest of the island of Newfoundland is mostly of English ancestry and Protestant, but as you say their ancestors are from the most Celtic part of England.

Hard to top Newfoundland (Irish/West Country English) and eastern Nova Scotia/PEI (Scottish Highlander) for Celtic influence IMO.

Others can comment on Appalachia and the US South, but I'm pretty certain the Scots-Irish influence is overstated.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:34 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,464,896 times
People were pretty Americanized by the time they reached the Southern Appalachians. Scots Irish and Scottish is a dominant part of the ethnic makeup but so is Tidewater English, German, Welsh, Dutch, French etc. Few people moved right from Ulster to South Carolina, most spent 1 or 2 generations in Pennsylvania first.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:20 PM

There's definitely a perception that white Southerners in general and in Appalachia in particular are mostly "Scotch-Irish" (and therefore distinctive from Anglo Saxon Yankees) but I haven't seen any real evidence for it.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:33 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,755,535 times
OP- read the Jim Webb book " Born Fighting -how the Scots- Irish shaped America "

Old 02-22-2016, 07:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
There's definitely a perception that white Southerners in general and in Appalachia in particular are mostly "Scotch-Irish" (and therefore distinctive from Anglo Saxon Yankees) but I haven't seen any real evidence for it.
The Pittsburgh area was originally settled by the "Scotch-Irish". The Presbyterian church is very influential there. There are several Presbyterian colleges and two Presbyterian seminaries in the area.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch-Irish_Americans
RPTS Study Under Pastors Reformed Presbyterian Theological Seminary
Pittsburgh Theological Seminary - A Seminary of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)

Old 02-22-2016, 09:51 PM

Quote:
As of the 1980s the only counties in the United States where over half of the population cited "English" as their only ancestry group were all in the hills of eastern Kentucky (and made up virtually every county in this region)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter...ucky_Coalfield

But I thought English ancestry was limited to old money types, Yankee New Englanders and Mormons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.