Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2016, 01:54 PM

892 posts, read 859,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I just saw this? Really ..you are going this route? Taking the one month that the numbers are close..what about all the other summer months..and spring ...and fall? Talk about cherry picking your argument...but hey that's what you Floridians do when it comes to arguing weather.
The point is the summer is more or less just as hot in North Carolina as South Florida. Not a big difference regardless. I certainly don't see a big difference between Atlanta in July/August though I do see a big difference by the time September rolls around.

However spring/fall doesn't really go into the North Carolina camp necessarily, because in early spring and late fall, North Carolina is uncomfortably cold and unpredictable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 02:14 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
Quote:
I just saw this? Really ..you are going this route? Taking the one month that the numbers are close..what about all the other summer months..and spring ...and fall? Talk about cherry picking your argument...but hey that's what you Floridians do when it comes to arguing weather.

Pick my nose. Here is the entire year in comparison. I simply chose August because its one of the summer months.

Climate Charlotte - North Carolina | °F
Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun
Average high in °F: 51 55 63 72 79 86
Average low in °F: 30 33 39 47 56 65

Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
Average high in °F: 89 87 81 72 62 53
Average low in °F: 68 67 60 49 39 32

Climate Tampa - Florida | °F

Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun
Average high in °F: 70 73 76 81 87 90
Average low in °F: 52 54 58 63 70 75
'
Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
Average high in °F: 90 90 89 84 78 72
Average low in °F: 76 76 74 68 60 54

Old 03-03-2016, 02:16 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
The point is the summer is more or less just as hot in North Carolina as South Florida. Not a big difference regardless. I certainly don't see a big difference between Atlanta in July/August though I do see a big difference by the time September rolls around.

However spring/fall doesn't really go into the North Carolina camp necessarily, because in early spring and late fall, North Carolina is uncomfortably cold and unpredictable.
That was my point. The temps are about the same except for winter and I have no use for weather at less than 50f.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:20 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times
Quote:
I'm a Floridian.
There is no comparison. Cot gets humid but doesn't feel as bad. And not for nearly as long.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Gotcha about the airBnB.

The condo market will not sustain those prices. It will correct.
So will SFHs

Old 03-03-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I strongly disagree, I see that within 20-30 years, the prices I paid will have seemed like a too good to be true dream. Miami only has up to go, just google Miami 2020.

Now within short-term analysis, 1-3 years I do expect a 20-30% contraction. These cycles are common, and nothing to worry about. I'm eying two condos, who I will buy when their listing prices, fall to 25%.

I know you are one of the people in the "hate Miami" camp, but having been blessed to being in every major city in this country, I find Miami to have the highest QOL of any big US city, with one glaring exception:

Jobs/economy.

For me, I'm blessed that I'm an iOS app developer, my clients are in Manhattan, San Francisco, and Santa Monica. My take home is the same, irregardless where I live, only taxes and living expenses are not.

But for those who are not blessed like I'm, Miami is just not possible. I can tell you how many times I hear people send me emails telling me they want to move to Miami and asking me how to do it, and then only to follow up with them find out they moved to Miami and took a pay cut by a third. One person from very near where I grew up in Los Angeles, opened up to me how he was 'drowning' in Miami and was going to move back to Los Angeles, he just couldn't afford Miami. Which may sound strange, Los Angeles is considered more expensive but it's not strange when you consider his pay went from 160k to 60k in Miami.

Bottom line is, Miami is very desirable, but most people can't make money here. That's slowly changing, when the economy jumps here, so will the real estate as these people go from renting to buying.

That's one strong indication for me the Miami market - the sheer difference between rental and buyers market. When I sold my home in sunset cliffs in San Diego, it made more financial sense to sell versus to rent (back then AirBnb was just starting up). But in Miami it's the opposite, as things go I'll never sell unless this place floods and then I'll just collect insurance, I'll AirBNB/rent until I die. The rental market is THAT good for me. But when the economy picks up I expect it to equalize.
Blue herons is a realtor. I think she is right. I work in development not a realtor. Prices will not sustain.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I strongly disagree, I see that within 20-30 years, the prices I paid will have seemed like a too good to be true dream. Miami only has up to go, just google Miami 2020.

Now within short-term analysis, 1-3 years I do expect a 20-30% contraction. These cycles are common, and nothing to worry about. I'm eying two condos, who I will buy when their listing prices, fall to 25%.

I know you are one of the people in the "hate Miami" camp, but having been blessed to being in every major city in this country, I find Miami to have the highest QOL of any big US city, with one glaring exception:

Jobs/economy.

For me, I'm blessed that I'm an iOS app developer, my clients are in Manhattan, San Francisco, and Santa Monica. My take home is the same, irregardless where I live, only taxes and living expenses are not.

But for those who are not blessed like I'm, Miami is just not possible. I can tell you how many times I hear people send me emails telling me they want to move to Miami and asking me how to do it, and then only to follow up with them find out they moved to Miami and took a pay cut by a third. One person from very near where I grew up in Los Angeles, opened up to me how he was 'drowning' in Miami and was going to move back to Los Angeles, he just couldn't afford Miami. Which may sound strange, Los Angeles is considered more expensive but it's not strange when you consider his pay went from 160k to 60k in Miami.

Bottom line is, Miami is very desirable, but most people can't make money here. That's slowly changing, when the economy jumps here, so will the real estate as these people go from renting to buying.

That's one strong indication for me the Miami market - the sheer difference between rental and buyers market. When I sold my home in sunset cliffs in San Diego, it made more financial sense to sell versus to rent (back then AirBnb was just starting up). But in Miami it's the opposite, as things go I'll never sell unless this place floods and then I'll just collect insurance, I'll AirBNB/rent until I die. The rental market is THAT good for me. But when the economy picks up I expect it to equalize.
Ur friend moved from SoCal to Miami to take a 100k pay cut?

Old 03-03-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:

. No it's not. Where are u from dude?

Old 03-03-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
Ur friend moved from SoCal to Miami to take a 100k pay cut?
He fell in love, married and had 3 kids with some Kazakistani girl from Miami.

Btw, I'm technically a realtor too, but I use it just to lower my closing costs on my purchases. I say in 20-30 years, it will be even higher. I'm not sure if blueheron thought ahead to 20-30 years or is just following the herd on the slow-down coming in 1-2 years. Doesn't matter, a lot of realtors have differing opinions, some make money, some go red. if there was a 100% certainty and agreement on everything, there would be no money, money lies in the uncertainty.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
. No it's not. Where are u from dude?
I'm from all over.

But I was in Atlanta for 2 months, and those 2 months happened to be July, August and the first half of September. Sometime after labor day, nighttime temps in Atlanta dropped, but July and August were just as hot as anything in Miami, and no ocean or ocean breeze to cool you off.

While September is nice in Atlanta, October is already probably too cold. November, December, January, February, March certainly are. Not for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.