Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 12:40 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,416,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
they just say expressway in Chicago.

we said interstate or highway in Tennessee.
All of Chicago's "freeways" and "interstates" are tolls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 12:48 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,891,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Here in Dallas we don't put the word "The" in front of a freeway number though like they do in California. It's just 35, not The 35.
Thats right! In San Diego you travel on the 8, the 15 or the 5. Even the state routes ("I took the 125 to Chula Vista and it was so fast") have "the" in front of them in everyday speak.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:54 PM

24,462 posts, read 25,995,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Freeway - Highway or Interstate within an urban area

Interstate - Interstate outside of an urban area

Highway - Numbered route outside of an urban area
Ref Interstate: But what about I5 throught he heart of Los Angeles, San Diego, Portland and Seattle?

Ref Highway: CA91 and CA 60 pass through many urban areas.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:10 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
In the NNJ/NYC area we have three different words:

expressway: usually an interstate, not usually tolled (except at bridges or tunnels), open to cars, trucks, and buses.

parkway: like expressways, parkways are limited-access. most date back to the 1930s-50s and therefore have lower clearances and shorter accel/decel pockets. No trucks allowed!! The parkway right of ways are usually large, with the extra space serving as "parkland." It was quite an urban planning fad at the time to have the "experience" of driving through parks and woodland.

turnpike: like an expressway, open to cars trucks and buses, but they are tolled. the term "turnpike" dates back to colonial days. large wooden pikes blocked the road, and when the toll was paid, the pike was turned away to allow travelers to pass.

Another interesting thing about the NY/NNJ area is that people call these roads by their full names, not numbers. For example, I-495 is called the Long Island Expressway. Nobody calls it 495, rather by its name or the abbreviation L.I.E. Similarly, I bet few people would know the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway (BQE) as Interstate 278.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:30 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,008,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Ref Interstate: But what about I5 throught he heart of Los Angeles, San Diego, Portland and Seattle?

Ref Highway: CA91 and CA 60 pass through many urban areas.
For instance, it's the 5 freeway when it passes through SD, LA, Portland, and Seattle. However, in rural areas I would say Interstate 5.

It's the 91 freeway and the 60 freeway in urban areas, and Highway 91 and Highway 60 in rural areas.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post

Another interesting thing about the NY/NNJ area is that people call these roads by their full names, not numbers. For example, I-495 is called the Long Island Expressway. Nobody calls it 495, rather by its name or the abbreviation L.I.E. Similarly, I bet few people would know the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway (BQE) as Interstate 278.
We did that in CA to until the freeways (usually named after where the freeway ended) got to running through so many cities people where starting to get confused.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:28 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,191,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post

parkway: like expressways, parkways are limited-access. most date back to the 1930s-50s and therefore have lower clearances and shorter accel/decel pockets. No trucks allowed!! The parkway right of ways are usually large, with the extra space serving as "parkland." It was quite an urban planning fad at the time to have the "experience" of driving through parks and woodland.
I was wondering where the term "parkway" came from. Thought maybe it was from all the cars seemingly parked on the roads at rush hour. I typically call anything a highway, but in Pittsburgh we have the Parkway East (I-376), Parkway North (I-279) and Parkway West (" ").

Old 02-10-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
I was wondering where the term "parkway" came from. Thought maybe it was from all the cars seemingly parked on the roads at rush hour. I typically call anything a highway, but in Pittsburgh we have the Parkway East (I-376), Parkway North (I-279) and Parkway West (" ").
Right or wrong, this is what Wikipedia has to say about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkway

Old 02-10-2008, 04:47 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,347,216 times
highway: government designation as such
freeway: highway with full grade-separation
interstate: just a formal title
expressway: a surface street with fewer driveways, more lanes and higher speed limit

Old 02-10-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
highway: government designation as such
freeway: highway with full grade-separation
interstate: just a formal title
expressway: a surface street with fewer driveways, more lanes and higher speed limit
I'll drink to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.