Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 06:15 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times

Advertisements

If you don't mind winter weather, Greater Cleveland is a cultural center with among the most affordable housing in the U.S. You could buy a decent house for $1,500/month.

Cleveland area cities have dog parks and several beaches ( including Edgewater, Fairport Harbor) have dog beaches.

Perhaps check out Cleveland Heights and nearby suburbs for locations close to University Circle.

See post 4 in this thread.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...ally-help.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...cleveland.html

Check out Cleveland and Lake Metroparks for great dog trails. Many dog-lovers make it a point to live near a Metropark reservation for this reason.

Lake and river kayaking is popular and you would be two hours from the Alleghenies (Allegheny National Forest), but not like western ranges. The Mad-Hatter is a favorite kayak race.

http://www.lakemetroparks.com/events...ayakRace.shtml

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_River_%28Ohio%29

Check out the Cleveland Museum of Art film series, one of the best in the U.S., and the renown Cinematheque.

If interested, perhaps rent until you're certain you can handle Cleveland winters and winter cloud cover.

Perhaps compare Cleveland weather with San Francisco at this site. My guess is that Cleveland is warmer at least in the summer.

https://weatherspark.com/averages/29...-United-States

Last edited by WRnative; 03-09-2016 at 06:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 06:42 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,865,834 times
Mt.pleasant sc. Right next to charleston sc

Old 03-09-2016, 06:47 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,076,154 times
I second the recommendation of Asheville, N.C. quite liberal, full of artisans/ craftsmen, festivals, craft breweries, and excellent access to countless public mountain recreation areas. - if it's not too expensive

Old 03-09-2016, 07:09 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
What didn't feel right about Chico?

Old 03-09-2016, 08:53 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffer76 View Post
Thank you - I have heard Idaho is great for kayaking too and that Boise has some culture I would be okay with. I didn't notice that on my travels through Boise but oh well. Where is the great kayaking there?
Sorry this is a white water rafting link, though I think the two relate.

Idaho Whitewater Rafting Trips

If you browse through the website to the other states you can see. Idaho has the most options for white water rafting at least. But I should note that it's strongly considering rapids... Not all of the states has rapids as you can see.

Quote:
Western Montana isn't affordable? Sheesh! It's Western Montana! Is this because millionaires buy hobby ranches?
Yes.

Quote:
Flagstaff is lovely - is there kayaking and is it affordable? I really liked Flagstaff when I was there and Sedona. But it seems a little out of my price range.
Kayaking and Canoeing in Arizona - Paddling.Net

Kind of an old link but for the most part it's accurate as far as locations go.

You cannot find a rental in Sedona at your price limit. Flagstaff is a maybe if you're willing to compromise on what you find (probably lower quality). Both are vacation towns for rich Arizonans, and since Flagstaff is extremely popular for skiing (Snowbowl) and Sedona for being, well, Sedona, rents are higher because of that.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:59 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
There is one (maybe there's 2 .... maybe Coeur D'Alene?) blue county in the very red state of Idaho. Blaine County. The Wood River Valley.
I posted about it on another thread on this forum.

It is, by the way, the most dog friendly place you can imagine. It is a dogs paradise.
And you can find affordable rentals (though there is a lot of money in the valley!) if you look between the end of ski season (mid-March) and the beginning of the summer season. Or toward the end of September through October.

post #3
http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...ve-writer.html
This sounds like a nice place! Sounds like OP would like that area of Idaho.

I thought Coeur D'Alene might fit OP's wants being next to the beautiful lake and all but I'm not sure on that obviously.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:21 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,743,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post

You cannot find a rental in Sedona at your price limit. Flagstaff is a maybe if you're willing to compromise on what you find (probably lower quality). Both are vacation towns for rich Arizonans, and since Flagstaff is extremely popular for skiing (Snowbowl) and Sedona for being, well, Sedona, rents are higher because of that.
Well, that's not true.
(don't forget to click the dog box)

flagstaff apartments / housing rentals - craigslist
Many of the dwellings look lousy though.

And why is Arizona being recommended? Isn't lots of water for kayaking, etc. an important criteria?

And though Sedona is stunning re; the natural environment the development there is heart breaking to me.

If the southwest is being considered, i'd look at Santa Fe and Taos.
Much nicer dwellings too!

https://santafe.craigslist.org/search/apa?pets_dog=1

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...+in+new+mexico

Old 03-10-2016, 12:05 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,161,220 times
Chattanooga, TN

Five easy paddling trips in Chattanooga for families, beginners | Nooga.com

Old 03-10-2016, 02:12 PM

31 posts, read 65,904 times
Oh the "West" in that sentence (dreary and rainy) was Western Oregon/NorCal too. Dramatic, beautiful, occasionally sunny and spectacular, but prone to gray skies. That tends to turn me into a dramatic, dreary writer/person

Wood River Valley sounds great and I have been looking into that. What makes it a dog friendly place? Parks? Dog walking? Is it warm? Seems like Idaho gets pretty cold.

I need to move by April 1, so I'm pretty overwhelmed looking. Appreciate everyone's suggestions and still not having much luck but will forge on.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:19 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Am I missing something or do the recommendations for Idaho in the same breath as liberal seem kind of off..??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.