Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: California or other state
California 11 28.21%
Enter your ideal state 28 71.79%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 03:42 AM

178 posts, read 184,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I don't have an ideal state, but there are places I like more. I need a big, urban, walkable city with good public transit. That cuts a lot of states out. The only cities I'd live in would be Chicago, DC, Philly, and NYC based on that criteria. Miami doesn't fit that criteria, but South Beach is walkable dense and I love Latin culture. I would compromise on urbanity for only Miami's Latin culture. That's why I'm dying to move to Madrid, but will settle with something like Buenos Aires or Sao Paulo.

So if I had to say an ideal state, it would be NY since I love NYC...if I can afford it. I can't right now, so IL (Chicago) and PA (Philly) are my two ideal states.
I'd suggest you move to Buenos aires. Argentina's economy is recovering fast, while Brazil's one is getting worse and worse (and so is the crime, as well)

You better speak Spanish, though

Last edited by adrianf91; 04-27-2016 at 04:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 06:55 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
I have to say I don't know for sure.

I am a native Californian, and a big part of me would love to live in Los Angeles, or somewhere in the Inland Empire where I grew up, or in the San Bernardino Mountains.

But my dream place may indeed be in the states of Washington or Idaho.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:05 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I have to say I don't know for sure.

I am a native Californian, and a big part of me would love to live in Los Angeles, or somewhere in the Inland Empire where I grew up, or in the San Bernardino Mountains.

But my dream place may indeed be in the states of Washington or Idaho.
Why not somewhere in Northern California, closer to Eureka or Redding or something? That's probably similar to Idaho and Washington but still California at the same time.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:01 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianf91 View Post
I'd suggest you move to Buenos aires. Argentina's economy is recovering fast, while Brazil's one is getting worse and worse (and so is the crime, as well)

You better speak Spanish, though
I do speak Spanish. Grew up bilingual, forgot it for a while, then picked it back up in school and living in Madrid for a bit. Everyone says BA is very similar to Madrid and since Madrid is my favorite city, I'm sure I'll like BA too.

Old 04-27-2016, 04:47 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,956,308 times
California has the best climate in the country. Still could never live there because the people, politics and prices.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
Why not somewhere in Northern California, closer to Eureka or Redding or something? That's probably similar to Idaho and Washington but still California at the same time.
Eureka doesn't have the cultural appeal of Southern CA. Redding is too hot, but I like it well enough. Couldn't see myself living there if I had the choice of all the other places I mentioned.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:43 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,927 times
I didn't vote. I have only been to Southern California and don't want to penalize the rest of the state for the LA mistake.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:55 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Eureka doesn't have the cultural appeal of Southern CA. Redding is too hot, but I like it well enough. Couldn't see myself living there if I had the choice of all the other places I mentioned.
Redding is too hot but the Inland Empire isn't? Interesting...

Now that I think about, almost all the Western states are my ideal states. I can see myself living in any of them, except Nevada because if I'm just going to melt from the heat might as well stay in Arizona. This side of the country is just awesome. In some ways I think New Mexico would be the ideal state, though there are a couple downsides to that state in my eyes. States that make up where New Mexico lacks... Colorado, Washington, they fail in other areas. I think if Albuquerque was a bigger city with more of an economy then I wouldn't consider the other states. A "cold desert" climate is the most ideal for me I think, but that barely exists in this country except for a couple areas, ABQ being one. To be fair though, it's a rare climate overall.

California has too much traffic to even consider it. Traveling on the freeway to our hotel has said enough about that. Maybe if teleportation existed I would.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
Redding is too hot but the Inland Empire isn't? Interesting...

Now that I think about, almost all the Western states are my ideal states. I can see myself living in any of them, except Nevada because if I'm just going to melt from the heat might as well stay in Arizona. This side of the country is just awesome. In some ways I think New Mexico would be the ideal state, though there are a couple downsides to that state in my eyes. States that make up where New Mexico lacks... Colorado, Washington, they fail in other areas. I think if Albuquerque was a bigger city with more of an economy then I wouldn't consider the other states. A "cold desert" climate is the most ideal for me I think, but that barely exists in this country except for a couple areas, ABQ being one. To be fair though, it's a rare climate overall.

California has too much traffic to even consider it. Traveling on the freeway to our hotel has said enough about that. Maybe if teleportation existed I would.
I'd put up with the Inland Empire's slightly cooler heat to have everything it offers at its doorstep. Redding only offers itself, and the outdoors.

Would you consider Albuquerque to be too small? If so, Denver might be a good substitute, even if it isn't quite a desert biome (plains), and it gets tons of snow. Reno, Salt Lake City, Tri-Cities, Colorado Springs, Pueblo, Casper, Cheyenne, Laramie, Billings, etc. might be other places to look.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:13 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,737,076 times
Grew up in SoCal, but I want to live on the beach in Miami, so I vote Florida!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.