Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 07:12 PM

239 posts, read 304,702 times

Advertisements

I grew up on the West Coast where basements aren’t as common place - in new homes at least - and the idea of a basement always seemed so foreign to me. What I’m wondering is where in the US are homes being built and have generally always been built with basements? Thanks! 🙂
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 07:23 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Most homes in Piedmont, Appalachia and the Midwest do. Southern coastal plain areas and the west coast tend to not have them.

Old 08-31-2018, 07:30 PM

159 posts, read 171,908 times
Pittsburgh. Even has a Wikipedia article about the prevalence of toilets in Pittsburgh basements. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_toilet

Old 08-31-2018, 08:38 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times
The Midwest and Eastcoast. I’m like you, it was foreign, and very cool, visiting family with basements growing up. Since you don’t need them because of the weather, the garage is Southern California’s answer to the basement.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:51 PM

20,863 posts, read 9,518,220 times
Yup. Here in Kansas City basements are almost ubiquitous, or at least lower floors that are sort-of halfway underground. Not only desired for tornadoes, but comes in handy in the summer, too.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:05 PM

239 posts, read 304,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
The Midwest and Eastcoast. I’m like you, it was foreign, and very cool, visiting family with basements growing up. Since you don’t need them because of the weather, the garage is Southern California’s answer to the basement.
I notice that there are some places in California with basements, but it's always old houses. I know I have seen a couple in Sacramento, some in Reno, but none whatsoever along the coast or in Southern California. Too bad because I think they are great!!

Old 08-31-2018, 09:23 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajohnson99 View Post
I notice that there are some places in California with basements, but it's always old houses. I know I have seen a couple in Sacramento, some in Reno, but none whatsoever along the coast or in Southern California. Too bad because I think they are great!!
Yeah the ones I’ve seen in the older homes I think were more of cellers. I did a lot of rehab work on houses when I was younger and that was the impression I got.

I’m 6’4” and I could barely fit in most, some I couldn’t. It did make running electrical and plumbing easy though. The only “true” basements I’ve seen have been in custom homes, not to say they’re not out there, or you haven’t seen them.

They most certainly are great, I wished I had one, still do. And I’m sure it’s just an oversight, but Reno is in Nevada.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:39 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
Definitely the Midwest. In the Chicago area, you'd be hard pressed to find home without a basement. It's the opposite in places like Dallas. Apparently the "shifty" soil in some areas makes basements cost prohibitive. Nashville is another example where basements are rare, but soil isn't the problem there, it's due to lots of solid rock just below grade, making it very expensive to dig out a basement.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:49 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Basements are typically built out of necessity because excavation is expensive. They're only common in areas where the frost line is more than 2-3' below the surface because you have to dig down below it to prevent the foundation from being damaged/destroyed by the freeze/thaw cycle.

Frost Line Penetration Map In The U.S. - Hammerpedia

Old 08-31-2018, 09:51 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,067,004 times
All over the upper Midwest, at least where I have lived (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa).

When I lived in the Los Angeles area and was looking for places to rent, I was surprised to find one house with a full, finished basement - I seem to recall it being in Glendale off Verdugo north of GCC or near the college. Felt like being back in the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.