Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Strongest Midwestern Vibe?
Boston 2 4.26%
Providence 3 6.38%
New Haven 3 6.38%
New York City 1 2.13%
Philadelphia 8 17.02%
Wilmington 4 8.51%
Baltimore 13 27.66%
Washington, DC 5 10.64%
Richmond 8 17.02%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 02:11 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

On C-D, there is A LOT of comparing other cities to cities on the East Coast. For example...

Quote:
Ann Arbor: Has an urban, east coast vibe.
Quote:
Somebody mentioned St. Louis and I spent a couple of days there and it really does give off a East Coast vibe. The topography and the industrial factories/warehouses made me feel like I was in the metro NYC area.
Quote:
Cleveland definately emits more of an east coast vibe than Columbus
Quote:
Atlanta's downtown feels like an East Coast city. Yes, it has parking lots, but just the general feeling gives it an East Coast vibe to me
Quote:
Places like Pilsen, Logan Square, Avondale, Wicker Park, Irving Park, Roger's Park, Edgewater, Uptown, Ukranian Village, etc, have more of an East Coast vibe than Midwest
I am wondering if the reverse is true: are there places on the East Coast that have a strong "Midwestern vibe" similar to the way some Chicago neighborhoods have a strong "East Coast" vibe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 02:31 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
When people argue that Pittsburgh is in the Midwest (it's isn't), they always remark how it's nothing like NY, Boston or Philly. I usually remind them that Baltimore is the better east coast comparison.

Old 06-18-2016, 02:34 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,311,589 times
New Haven? HAHA

I voted Richmond because it's landlocked. All the other cities are in very close proximity to the ocean.

I would choose Pittsburgh or Buffalo but that's not on here...if that's considered northeast.

Old 06-18-2016, 02:54 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,859,128 times
Richmond gives no Midwest feel at all since it's a Southern city.

Old 06-18-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
I voted Richmond because it's landlocked. All the other cities are in very close proximity to the ocean.
Philadelphia and Washington, DC are landlocked. Philly and Richmond are roughly the same distance from the ocean as the crow flies.

Quote:
I would choose Pittsburgh or Buffalo but that's not on here...if that's considered northeast.
I said EAST COAST cities. Neither of those cities is anywhere near the East Coast of the United States.

Old 06-18-2016, 04:39 PM

830 posts, read 1,018,673 times
Quote:
New Haven? HAHA

The answer would probably be Pittsburgh or Rochester though they aren't listed, perhaps because they are further from the coast? Baltimore and Richmond often get compared to other places in other regions because of how they look in certain parts. But Pitt and Rochester actually have some Midwestern influences going on.

Old 06-18-2016, 05:00 PM

93,265 posts, read 123,898,066 times
I'll go out and say Baltimore and Philly due to still having a blue collar feel to them, but I say this in the vein of say Midwestern cities like Cleveland, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Milwaukee and even Chicago. Demographics between these cities are somewhat similar as well.

Old 06-18-2016, 05:26 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,859,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'll go out and say Baltimore and Philly due to still having a blue collar feel to them, but I say this in the vein of say Midwestern cities like Cleveland, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Milwaukee and even Chicago. Demographics between these cities are somewhat similar as well.
Agreed.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:18 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I wouldn't say that at all. Baltimore and Philly are not even that similar in that regard.

Cleveland/Cincinnati/St. Louis/Milwaukee/Baltimore are all like 1% Asian or less, 3% Hispanic or less and the white population is not as
Irish/Italian/Jewish as Philly, with probably not as many Caribbean/West Indies blacks (Philly used to have the 2nd largest Jamaican population in the US-not sure if still true). Philly also has one of the largest Muslim populations in the US.

Philly is like 15% Hispanic (largely Puerto Rican/DR) 8% Asian (largest Vietnamese population outside of California/Houston, Chinese, Cambodian, Korean) and Chicago 28% (largely Mexican), and 5% Asian.

This thread is very tongue in cheek although I do agree with the premise that it's a bit odd when some think the only way to describe a city as "urban" is saying it has an "East Coast vibe".

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 06-18-2016 at 10:52 PM..

Old 06-19-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
This thread is very tongue in cheek although I do agree with the premise that it's a bit odd when some think the only way to describe a city as "urban" is saying it has an "East Coast vibe".
I don't think the definition of "East Coast vibe" ends at urbanity for most people even though that's a key part of the definition. I think education, wealth, fashion, and sophistication are also part of it. Type-A personalities and career obsession are supposed to be another part. And I guess liberalism and diversity round it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.