Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 01:01 PM

330 posts, read 432,595 times

Advertisements

OK, I know I'm generalizing here but it's interesting to ask the question. Here is what I mean. I've lived and worked in several English speaking countries in a fairly technical role and of all the English speaking countries I have experience of:
  • US
  • UK
  • Ireland
  • Australia
  • Canada
I find that Americans have the hardest time dealing with the unfamiliar. Here's what I mean with some examples.

The time. In the other countries I've found that people are happy to move between the 24hr clock and the 12hr clock with ease. Either way people adjust. When Americans see the 24hr clock (outside of the military) they seem to have a really hard time dealing with it. And it's not because they don't understand it, it's almost a complete rejection of it up front.

The date. Same as above, when the date is displayed like it is elsewhere dd/mm/yyyy, again Americans are out. Other English speakers probably struggle with American date formats to be fair but we instantly know what it is.

The Metric system, again this is treated with a "I don't even know what that is" kind of dismissal. Although the British stone is the best example. While comfortable with a sub division of height (the foot) a subdivision of weight is just plain old voodoo. When I explain it I'm met with looks of absolute incredulity.

Non-American English. In the UK, Canada and Australia there is no problem with American English, yeah we can tell it's not "correct" but we deal with it and move on. In the US most clients demand that anything with non-American English is changed immediately. Those "s's" need to be zees or the entire project will fail.

Accents. Although definitely worse on the West Coast where they have the mistaken belief that "they don't have an accent" (yes you do, it's an incredibly elongated American accent). A lot of Americans hear a non-US accent and "they're out", don't even try to understand it. And it probably isn't even accents now I think about it, it's the use of certain non-American terms, they hear them and immediately switch off.

I love the US and this isn't intended as anything more than a little bit of light "ribbing" :-)

Interested to get your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 01:09 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
I guess we see no need to adapt from our ways of doing things to someone else's ways. Why should we?

Old 09-08-2015, 02:13 PM

30,531 posts, read 16,226,596 times
When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:04 PM

9,725 posts, read 14,266,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxcolin View Post
I love the US and this isn't intended as anything more than a little bit of light "ribbing" :-)

Interested to get your thoughts.
I don't buy it. My thoughts? You spent a lot of time bashing America, under the guise of light "ribbing".

Old 09-08-2015, 03:26 PM

330 posts, read 432,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
I don't buy it. My thoughts? You spent a lot of time bashing America, under the guise of light "ribbing".
My next post is going to be "Why do Americans take themselves so seriously?"

My kids are Americans and I choose to live here, it's a question of genuine interest to me. Maybe you need to have lived somewhere else to have enough perspective to answer anything other than "SHUT UP AMERICA RULES!!!" LOL

Old 09-08-2015, 07:53 PM

21,544 posts, read 8,727,966 times
I get what you're saying, mxcolin, and don't find your post offensive in any way. The answer to your question is that people who live in smaller nations are, by necessity, more flexible. They have been accustomed to blending with other, more dominant cultures all their lives, which Americans have not had to do.

Until relatively recently Europeans, for example, not only had a dozen or more different languages and customs coexisting within a relatively small area (by U.S. standards) but even have had different currencies to deal with when they traveled. So people learn to adapt and don't think of themselves as being special or as being the standard bearers that all other countries have to adapt to the way Americans do.

I don't think Americans mean to be offensive or even realize that the way they come across to people from other countries might seem arrogant.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:36 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times

Old 09-09-2015, 01:21 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,389,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

Quote:
OK, I know I'm generalizing here but it's interesting to ask the question.

I find that Americans have the hardest time dealing with the unfamiliar. Here's what I mean with some examples.

Accents. Although definitely worse on the West Coast where they have the mistaken belief that "they don't have an accent" (yes you do, it's an incredibly elongated American accent). A lot of Americans hear a non-US accent and "they're out", don't even try to understand it. And it probably isn't even accents now I think about it, it's the use of certain non-American terms, they hear them and immediately switch off.
Yes, you are generalizing. America is so vast. As for the 24 hour clock, we use it where I work. So...??? What were you saying??!!
Our population is approximately 321,216,397, over 50 states, all which are so different. How many of those people have you worked with??

Accents--no one thinks they have an accent.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:28 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,796,420 times
Well that's offensive. If you live in America then why all the negativity and judgment? I think Satx said it best, we don't need to adapt - if you come in this country then YOU need to adapt. That's a sore spot with all of us because of all these non-English speaking illegal immigrants taking over our country - adapt or get out!! Not a hard concept and it's the exact same way in any other country you mentioned so I don't see what you are griping about.

Petty stuff imo. And I KNOW I got an "accent", come to the South and I'll learn ya.

And "press one for English" really chaps my hide!!!

Old 09-09-2015, 08:59 AM

9,725 posts, read 14,266,863 times
Quote:
My next post is going to be "Why do Americans take themselves so seriously?"

My kids are Americans and I choose to live here, it's a question of genuine interest to me. Maybe you need to have lived somewhere else to have enough perspective to answer anything other than "SHUT UP AMERICA RULES!!!" LOL
Maybe you're barking up the wrong tree and need to take your genuine interest elsewhere....Just Sayin'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.