Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 08:54 AM

3 posts, read 2,700 times

Advertisements

Hello guys!

My wife and I are looking to move here in about a year and a half. Right now we live in KY and are really tired of the cold winters and want to move somewhere where its warm all year round in the USA.

We know that where there is warm weather usually comes with disasters. Our first thought was Florida but they just got hit with a pretty bad hurricane in the exact areas we were thinking of moving. Are there any warm states that have less of risks with natural disasters? Somewhere tropical is very appealing but we just want the warm weather and better lifestyle. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated Are there any cities in CA that are least likely to be struck by an earthquake? Or maybe areas in AZ that wouldn’t have sooo many scorpions?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 10:09 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf1307 View Post
Hello guys!

My wife and I are looking to move here in about a year and a half. Right now we live in KY and are really tired of the cold winters and want to move somewhere where its warm all year round in the USA.

We know that where there is warm weather usually comes with disasters. Our first thought was Florida but they just got hit with a pretty bad hurricane in the exact areas we were thinking of moving. Are there any warm states that have less of risks with natural disasters? Somewhere tropical is very appealing but we just want the warm weather and better lifestyle. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated Are there any cities in CA that are least likely to be struck by an earthquake? Or maybe areas in AZ that wouldn’t have sooo many scorpions?

Thanks!
In CA, the only area where you are unlikely to experience a strong earthquake is in the desert near the AZ and NV borders from around Bishop southward. The parts of CA that people actually want to live in will experience quakes because the fault lines follow the tall mountain ranges which run fairly close to the ocean

In AZ, Scorpions are not a problem in the urban parts of Phoenix anymore, too much development, but in the outskirts, they can still be experienced

Old 09-04-2016, 11:40 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,819,011 times
When I was volunteering for the American Red Cross I was trying to get into the disaster services but they told me that there would be one, once a month at the most, for the occasional house fire. That's about as disasterous as it gets here. We do occasionally get forest fires up in Northern Arizona but few people live there and it's one of those disasters you can easily plan for and get out of.

Old 09-04-2016, 11:45 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Southern Cal or FL, maybe parts of TX.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:05 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Lake Havasu City or Palm Springs could work. They do get quite hot in the middle of summer though (around 120 degrees).

Old 09-04-2016, 03:00 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,976,193 times
maybe inland cities of Texas like San Antone and Austin.Both are north of the coast and south of more tornado prone areas such as the Metroplex.However, Dallas/Fort Worth aint extremely tornado prone compared to Oklahoma.Phoenix,Arizona could work too.Maybe southern New Mexico but its all pretty small towns besides Las Cruces which is mid-sized.

Old 09-04-2016, 06:58 PM

78 posts, read 105,007 times
If you truly like Florida then why not just try it out? Living further inland will drastically reduce the amount of damage done by a hurricane (Like Orlando, or maybe Tallahassee). Storm surge at the coast is usually the biggest issue, followed by wind. And once they leave the water they tend to die quite quickly (No guarantees obviously). But Florida is the 3rd most populated state in the country. Something like 20 million people think it's worth the risk! Personally I'd pick Florida over an oven (AZ), or a place with high cost of living (CA). Inland Texas is an option but I think it lacks natural beauty and feels somewhat isolated. (Just don't pick Dallas or Houston!)

Old 09-04-2016, 07:06 PM

78 posts, read 78,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirrusly View Post
If you truly like Florida then why not just try it out? Living further inland will drastically reduce the amount of damage done by a hurricane (Like Orlando, or maybe Tallahassee). Storm surge at the coast is usually the biggest issue, followed by wind. And once they leave the water they tend to die quite quickly (No guarantees obviously). But Florida is the 3rd most populated state in the country. Something like 20 million people think it's worth the risk! Personally I'd pick Florida over an oven (AZ), or a place with high cost of living (CA). Inland Texas is an option but I think it lacks natural beauty and feels somewhat isolated.(Just don't pick Dallas or Houston!)
Houston has a hurricane risk, and Dallas has tornadoes, so that will be the only reason not to consider those. Inland Texas, in areas like Austin/San Antonio, as well as East Texas (Piney Woods), and far western Texas (El Paso, Big Bend), has just as much, or more, natural beauty compared to inland Florida.

Last edited by GhostInTheMatrix; 09-04-2016 at 07:15 PM..

Old 09-04-2016, 11:03 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,601,354 times
Try Albuquerque...at least if the heat starts getting to you the humidity is low and there is a mountain next door.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:39 AM

3 posts, read 2,700 times
wow, thanks guys. You all have given us a lot to think about. We have considered Arizona before but was so worried about Scorpions and a certain religious group to be aware of, but we may have to look a little more deeper into it. Lake Havasu City was beautiful when looking it up and may be worth considering with more research of course.

New Mexico and Texas aren’t in the running. New Mexico do too its high crime rate overall and Texas because of personal reasons. If anyone else can give us anymore perspective about Arizona, that would be greatly appreciated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.