Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What will be the 15th city to cross 5 million people?
Cleveland 1 2.08%
Denver 14 29.17%
Minneapolis 10 20.83%
Orlando 1 2.08%
Portland 4 8.33%
San Diego 4 8.33%
Tampa 14 29.17%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 07:54 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,821,788 times

Advertisements

In 2023, OMB will update the MSAs and CSAs for the government, to align with the 2020 Census results. It's near given that Phoenix and Seattle will both clip 5 million people then, giving the U.S. 14 cities over 5 million: Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Francisco, Seattle, Washington.

Which city will be the magic #15 in crossing the 5 million barrier?

You can, rightfully, assume that CSAs/MSAs will be drastically changed in 2023. Will Tampa finally absorb Lakeland and Sarasota to become a behemoth? Same for Orlando. Or will it be a fast demographic grower like Denver, with fewer potentials for annexation.

The choices are the CSAs/PSAs which today have more than 3,000,000 people but likely won't surpass 5,000,000 by 2020.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 08:21 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,970,037 times
Tampa Bay Area and I fully expect it to add the adjacent areas of Sarasota and Lakeland, possibly Homosassa Springs too by the 2023 redefinition through 15% commuter threshold. This designated area already has 4.7 million people, going on 4.8 million people and last year went + 99,000 people in population gains. It would actually be larger than Greater Phoenix or Greater Seattle under this definition. I'd say the Tampa Bay Area will be the first to cross the 5 million line next.

The Orlando CSA can also add too, it can and eventually will add the Melbourne MSA (on the Atlantic Ocean side of Florida) when commuter threshold ceiling of 15% is broken. Present day population of Greater Orlando + Melbourne MSA is 3.5-3.6 million people. Through that addition due to CSA redefinition and natural increase, Greater Orlando can push past 5 million as well.

I think after that would be Denver, it is also poised to add in the Fort Collins area by the 2023 census redefinition (commuting has increased markedly in the region) + natural increase. Don't know if it can in the very near term but the possibility definitely exists for Denver.

I also expect Greater Cincinnati to add in Dayton as well, but that wont push it past 5 million but will bring it even with Greater Cleveland more or less.

San Diego, Minneapolis-Saint Paul, and Portland will both post solid gains but not enough to push past 5 million in the next 20 years, unless they further accelerate their growth year-over-year going forward.

The two Florida areas and Greater Denver have the best shot at it, I'd say.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:25 PM

6,475 posts, read 4,076,574 times
I am personally waiting for the 10 million CSA of Tampa and Orlando. That area is more connected than New York-Philadelphia and is coming in close on Baltimore-Washington D.C and because of the density of cities in central Florida that area is quickly becoming like the NE and from just north of Miami to just south of Jacksonville is easily 10 million people in 10 counties by 2030.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:36 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,821,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
Tampa Bay Area and I fully expect it to add the adjacent areas of Sarasota and Lakeland, possibly Homosassa Springs too by the 2023 redefinition through 15% commuter threshold. This designated area already has 4.7 million people, going on 4.8 million people and last year went + 99,000 people in population gains. It would actually be larger than Greater Phoenix or Greater Seattle under this definition. I'd say the Tampa Bay Area will be the first to cross the 5 million line next.

The Orlando CSA can also add too, it can and eventually will add the Melbourne MSA (on the Atlantic Ocean side of Florida) when commuter threshold ceiling of 15% is broken. Present day population of Greater Orlando + Melbourne MSA is 3.5-3.6 million people. Through that addition due to CSA redefinition and natural increase, Greater Orlando can push past 5 million as well.

I think after that would be Denver, it is also poised to add in the Fort Collins area by the 2023 census redefinition (commuting has increased markedly in the region) + natural increase. Don't know if it can in the very near term but the possibility definitely exists for Denver.

I also expect Greater Cincinnati to add in Dayton as well, but that wont push it past 5 million but will bring it even with Greater Cleveland more or less.

San Diego, Minneapolis-Saint Paul, and Portland will both post solid gains but not enough to push past 5 million in the next 20 years, unless they further accelerate their growth year-over-year going forward.

The two Florida areas and Greater Denver have the best shot at it, I'd say.
I'm actually quite surprised at how empty much of the path from Tampa to Bradenton is: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ma...345189!6m1!1e1. Makes me think we're in for a longer wait than we hope

Still think it will be #15 though.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:45 AM

12,843 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Austin may get there one day.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:55 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,572,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I am personally waiting for the 10 million CSA of Tampa and Orlando. That area is more connected than New York-Philadelphia and is coming in close on Baltimore-Washington D.C and because of the density of cities in central Florida that area is quickly becoming like the NE and from just north of Miami to just south of Jacksonville is easily 10 million people in 10 counties by 2030.
I last lived in Central FL in 08' and the density was no where close to the NEC. I am sure that much infill has happened, but not enough to close the gap with the DC-Baltimore region. That region adds 125k per year this decade. Central FL reminds me more of the gap between DC to Richmond, which too is seeing infill at a good pace.

The stretch along I-95 from Harve de Grace, MD down to Richmond, VA and take I-64 East to VA Beach is maybe 275 miles give or take with maybe 13 million or so within 30 miles of the freeway along that stretch.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:34 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post

more connected? NYC and Philly are 47 miles at their closest city borders (not metros) and NJ has nearly 9 Million not in the citiies or burbs of PA and NY state, if you exclude the actual cities the area has nearly twice the 10 million people today. while they are growing are you serious on the connection and more developed?

the vast majority of the NJ population resides in the counties that lie directly between NYC and Philly

the SE and NW portions of NJ are very rural for the most part

Old 09-07-2016, 01:12 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
Which won't happen. The Palm Bay-Melbourne-Titusville MSA is seeing it's own rebirth/growth after the NASA closures and is too far from the Orlando MSA (one hour/50+ miles) to ever exceed the 15% commute threshold. The only way Orlando will ever see that kind of growth is through areas to the NW in/around Lake County and more infill between Lakeland or Daytona Beach along the I-4 corridor. It's going to take a long time and is going to be well behind what the Tampa Bay area puts together with the inclusion of Sarasota/Bradenton and Lakeland.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:42 PM

1,676 posts, read 945,849 times
San Diego

Old 09-07-2016, 01:50 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Austin may get there one day.

Austin/San Antonio will be the next Dallas/Fort Worth "megametro" area. Together the metro areas of Austin & SA are almost 4.5 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.