Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hottest state?
Texas 70 22.65%
Louisiana 11 3.56%
Alabama 3 0.97%
Mississsippi 3 0.97%
Georgia 2 0.65%
Florida 67 21.68%
South Carolina 3 0.97%
Arizona 144 46.60%
New Mexico 3 0.97%
Arkansas 3 0.97%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2023, 10:46 AM

1,031 posts, read 561,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
People who say humidity is always worse typically have never actually LIVED, as in long-term, somewhere with humidity percentages of 10% or less like Arizona, Nevada. Not even the California coast gets that dry, or even parts of Colorado. They've simply visited and didn't deal with it for months on end. Which is why I don't listen to snowbirds on this issue either.
Dry heat gives me physical headache, but humidity, imho, causes more figurative headache.

We just dealt with my daughter’s ringworm infection she got from other kids. Many trips to dermatologists, topical creams didn’t even work, she had to be on oral meds for weeks. Ob/gyn always warned women who live in hot and humid regions have to be extra careful with hygiene or one is bound to have bacteria infection.

Just for the year 2023 alone I observed my daughter’s skin from 3 months in cooler and milder/less humid climate of Paris and London where her skin went back to her previous alabaster complexion and very clean (the air quality in Paris was actually very deteriorating.) to May when we went back to Houston, breakout, ringworm, zits….you name it. June in NYC briefly with humidity (less but still humid), then 3 weeks ago we were back to L.A for 2 weeks her skin went back to clean and smooth (and L.A was supposed to have bad air pollution and was warm as well. She grew up 10 yrs in L.A, always had the most glowing skin.)-conclusion: her skin doesn’t agree with humid climate.

Humidity is also food went bad quickly even when the a/c was on. I was disappointed and that I tasted some borderline rotten sashimi in both TX and FL (Literally left a bad taste in my mouth.) Humidity is also walking barefoot on the floor and feeling the stickiness until you turn the a/c or the dehumidifiers on. Humidity is also a two years old new house a/c shut down in the middle of August in FL, and was told the a/c got molds after spending $3000. Humidity is anything related mildew and mold and fungus and anything gross in that area.

I’m very fastidious when it comes to hygiene and health, maybe too much so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2023, 03:19 PM

1,320 posts, read 864,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
People who say humidity is always worse typically have never actually LIVED, as in long-term, somewhere with humidity percentages of 10% or less like Arizona, Nevada. Not even the California coast gets that dry, or even parts of Colorado. They've simply visited and didn't deal with it for months on end. Which is why I don't listen to snowbirds on this issue either.

Many Sunbelters also refuse to go outside or do anything mildly physical during the days. I don't listen to them either.

Humidity + heat versus no humidity + heat is safer for you. I have worked manual jobs in both environments with no a/c, and only almost died in one of them, I'll let you guess which one it was. The real ideal environment is somewhere in the middle of these humidity levels, with 30-60% humidity levels, and of course no where near triple digits or in them.

This is however, about which state is the most consistently hot, year round. Of which the answer is Florida. Now, if we were to create new states, or redraw the boundaries of others, this would certainly change, but that's not the question or the answer. Yes Death Valley is hotter, but Death Valley isn't a state, is it. Neither is the Sonoran desert, or the Mojave or the Keys.
Idk, I grew up in Arizona and now live in western Washington and I can’t stand heat + humidity. I spend a lot of time outside.

Any dew point above 60F is just sticky and gross.

Old 09-11-2023, 03:27 PM

18 posts, read 5,544 times
I lived the first 25 years of my life in the desert before living in hot as hell Texas. I assure you the biological dysfunctions you experience such as headaches, and near death collapsing in low humidity is due to dehydration and not the lack of humidity. That's actually ridiculous to think that you can't adjust to dry desert air as a human being. We adapt to any and every environment on Earth. The only thing that exists is the preference on where one actually would like to live. I saw another poster talking about getting nosebleeds in dry air. Again, dehydration. Stay hydrated and drink water. I know a lot of people struggle with daily water intake because water doesn't taste like coca-cola for some reason.
Another misconception about hot weather is that it is just super hot all the time as soon as the sun comes up bam 115 degrees when that is not the case. When it comes to Arizona and desert living a lot of people are ignorant of how the desert actually works.
I could make that same argument for humid weather like I experience here in Houston, but I don't. Houston reaches temps of 110 degrees as well but it's not 110 at 7am even in the dead of summer. There is a hot part of the day from 11am-7pm. You plan your day around the hot times simple as that. Just as people adjust to the cold people do the same in the heat. I am not a fan of cold weather but do you notice you don't see cold weather haters on this site? The hate is only towards hot weather which is a very peculiar attitude to have. Reading these comments and the overall majority of them come off as trolling posts by people who have never spent time in either place. People even live in the Sahara desert. Yes, the Sahara. The funny thing is when you look at the most deserted region on Earth, the cold Antarctic, which is a desert by definition it is the most uninhabited place on Earth.

Old 09-12-2023, 07:27 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
All I know is that when I went to Colorado and Arizona, I got serious nosebleeds. Don't get them in NE Texas at all. By the way, Louisiana and South Carolina are both the most humid places I've ever experienced. Not NE Texas. I mean, it's humid but nothing like those other two places, and I'm assuming other places as well (I'm looking at FLORIDA here).

Humidity is blamed for a lot of things but I prefer some humidity over basically no humidity.

Old 09-12-2023, 02:50 PM

18 posts, read 5,544 times
It goes like this: you got a nosebleed in Arizona so Arizona sucks right? I'm jkjk just so you know. But that's how a lot of it sounds when people bash a location based on some biological function mishap. It's like me saying I went to North Carolina and some sweat got in my eye so therefore the humidity is uncontrollable in lackluster North Carolina and NC sucks as a whole because of it lolololol. Seriously?? I've been to both places you mentioned the humidity in the deep south from Louisiana to Maryland is all the same & this region is the hottest region in the US year round. The fluctuations in humidity from mild to heavy don't make NE Texas an easy walk under the sun. I lived 5 years in Dallas as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.