Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2022, 07:34 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Won't be long till Bawac drops in to nominate OKC.
Well, I HATE the weather in OKC. But hey, that's just me. No matter what time of year, there's weather drama in my experience. Including ice storms, tornadoes, etc. Nice people though - some of the nicest folks I've ever met in fact.

Anyway, I nominate Cleveland, Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2022, 07:36 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funtraveler1 View Post
^^Agree. I would rather have bad winters then hot sweaty summers. So Austin, Phoenix, Houston, Florida, etc.
I'm just the opposite - I'd rather have long hot summers than shovel snow or try to get it off a windshield - ever. And I HATE those piles of dirty snow everywhere in March.

Also, I always feel like I am about to slip on ice.

Old 08-21-2022, 07:59 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,847,570 times
I’m very much an Olaf. Give me summer. You can bookend them with fall and spring, but I’d just as well skip the winter. I’m a three season guy.

Old 08-21-2022, 08:25 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,420,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
90s with humidity levels between 40 and 50 is not muggy. Take it from someone who's lived in the Southeast for decades, but has also lived on the West Coast, the most muggy days are ones where the temps are in the high 80s to 90 with humidity levels around 70% or higher. After passing 90 in most places in the USA, even the humid ones, the humidity levels tend to drop as the temp rises. These folks who say that it's 100 degrees and 100% humidity are full of it. That's HIGHLY unlikely, if not impossible, even in the Southeast. When heatwaves push temps that high, the humidity level nearly always drops. The other dynamic at play in humid climates is that the nights are often more humid than the daytime. As the temps drop after sunset, the humidity often rises. This prevents many places in the deep South and Florida from cooling off in the Summer.
When you are in the 90s, humidities in the 70% is pretty rare also, usually around rain.

On sunny, partly cloudy days, highs in the 90s with humidity in 50% is a muggy day.

Old 08-21-2022, 09:21 AM

6,793 posts, read 4,236,377 times
The population decline in the Great Plains had a lot more to do with the economics of farming than with the weather. The DFW and OKC metros have continued to grow in spite of the extreme weather swings, the severe storms in the spring, the heat in summer, the wind, the Arctic intrusions in winter etc.

If there's money to be made people will brave much worse conditions than those in the Plains. It's funny that people here talk about the climate there as being terrible and yet when it says in Field of Dreams - "Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa." it struck a chord with a ton of people from those areas but also from far beyond. In truth most people probably would be fine living in that climate.

Old 08-21-2022, 10:44 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Oklahoma City may be humid compared to the Western US, but it seldom gets to the same levels as Houston, New Orleans, Memphis or anywhere in Florida. Minimum temperatures in the upcoming days are forecast to be in the high 60s which virtually never happens on the Gulf Coast in August. Galveston near Houston actually had nights earlier this summer that didn't fall below the mid 80s.
Yet, who ever heard of late October ice storms in any of the Gulf coast cities or big hail storms, or F5 tornadoes? The strongest winds ever recorded on record blew in the Oklahoma City metro. Late Oct. ice storms in Oklahoma City suck big time since leaves are still on the trees. At least Oklahoma City never gets the full effect of hurricanes however strong they get.

Old 08-22-2022, 03:12 PM

1,375 posts, read 926,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Probably the desert Southwest. I’m astonished that millions of people are voluntarily flocking to a region where 110°F highs are normal and there is a shortage of drinking water.

Yeah, not sure if that was a troll answer. Georgia’s climate is decent. However I will gladly knock it for one thing: summers are pretty crappy (or at least have been for the three that I’ve spent here).

The heat becomes oppressive around late May to the point that I have no desire to enjoy the season. Walk outside and immediately begin sweating. Plus if it’s not above 90°F, that’s probably because there is a thunderstorm coming. It rains constantly. Lately? Every. Single. Day. Not all day long, but rest assured some thunder will roll through and drench you if you’re out (which makes the already poor drivers panic). Georgia is far more pleasant between October-April.

Thank God for air conditioning.
Georgia isn't even that hot, though. When I tried walking outside in the middle of summer in Las Vegas (120 degrees super dry heat) or Houston (so humid), I give up and immediately go inside. But even on the hottest days this past summer, it wasn't unbearable. We had maybe 8 total days in the 90s the entire summer, and the past few weeks, it's been in the 70s and 80s every day. The thing I like about Atlanta's weather is the balance. Over the past 30 years, it has one of the highest number of sunny days, and it also has one of the highest amounts of rainfall, so it's a good balance imo. A lot of sunshine and a lot of rain, instead a lack of either (always cloudy or facing a drought).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.