Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 04:17 PM

79 posts, read 80,640 times

Advertisements

Hello, all. I'm recently retired and looking for a Mediterranean-type locale in the U.S. in which to live. My needs are modest, and I'll be selling my house to live in a smaller, more manageable place. Renting will be fine for me. Am reasonably healthy and have excellent health insurance, a paid-off Honda CRV, no dependents, no debt, and a yearly income of 60,000. Have lived in the Texas Hill Country for a number of years and am ready for a change; also it's increasingly hard for this aging lady to endure the heat! Would like to move to a sunny, warm (but not blast furnace), pretty, relaxed place with a Mediterranean ambiance. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 04:44 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,972,549 times
The only area I am aware of that has a Mediterranean climate in this country is Southern California.I think its pretty but it is not relaxed pace.I heard traffic there is bad.The COL is real high.I think you would be hard pressed to live there on 60 grand a year but I am not for sure.Many millions of people live in SoCal so its no small place.Best of luck.
-WT

Old 09-26-2016, 04:55 PM

44 posts, read 40,292 times
Hmmm...no heat and Mediterranean "ambiance" ?? first, that would mean mainly in a warmer climate in the first place !
Ambiance connotes feel, amenities or culture. It could be Spanish, northern African, Portuguese, Greek or southern Italian, or of course French. Pic your poison.

There are areas of Montreal that have a Med influence...if you like the real COLD...ditto Quebec
City

There are neighborhoods around New Orleans that certainly are dominated by the French ambiance....NOT NOLA proper, it's mostly black American.

Certain areas around Mobile AL are certainly very much French/Med influences....weather is still rather hot.

Miami of course, has it all, but it's hot AND expensive.

Of course there are many smaller cities in Puerto Rico that have exceptionally strong MED influence (Euro Spanish, Afro Spanish, and Portguese) Ditto places in the US Virgin Islands, Dominica St Kitts, etc.

I can think of no other options given your criteria i.e. MEDiterranean - that's a tough one to duplicate in the US that's not very warm or hot.....otherwise I might suggest Scotsdale maybe, maybe

You have a tough request...far more options where it's hot, e..g. Venice Florida, Del Mar, CA, LaJolla, CA, Naples FL

Old 09-26-2016, 05:14 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
The only area I am aware of that has a Mediterranean climate in this country is Southern California.I think its pretty but it is not relaxed pace.I heard traffic there is bad.The COL is real high.I think you would be hard pressed to live there on 60 grand a year but I am not for sure.Many millions of people live in SoCal so its no small place.Best of luck.
-WT
Northern CA does as well. It actually probably resembles the climate in the Mediterranean more so because of its cooler and wetter winters than SoCal.

Old 09-26-2016, 05:32 PM

79 posts, read 80,640 times
Thanks for the information ... these are places to look into, though many are beyond my means. Hemjem, I did write "sunny, warm (but not blast furnace)," so I can consider the places you mention, except for Scottsdale, which might be too hot for me.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:18 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemjem View Post
Hmmm...no heat and Mediterranean "ambiance" ?? first, that would mean mainly in a warmer climate in the first place !
Ambiance connotes feel, amenities or culture. It could be Spanish, northern African, Portuguese, Greek or southern Italian, or of course French. Pic your poison.

There are areas of Montreal that have a Med influence...if you like the real COLD...ditto Quebec
City

There are neighborhoods around New Orleans that certainly are dominated by the French ambiance....NOT NOLA proper, it's mostly black American.

Certain areas around Mobile AL are certainly very much French/Med influences....weather is still rather hot.

Miami of course, has it all, but it's hot AND expensive.

Of course there are many smaller cities in Puerto Rico that have exceptionally strong MED influence (Euro Spanish, Afro Spanish, and Portguese) Ditto places in the US Virgin Islands, Dominica St Kitts, etc.

I can think of no other options given your criteria i.e. MEDiterranean - that's a tough one to duplicate in the US that's not very warm or hot.....otherwise I might suggest Scotsdale maybe, maybe

You have a tough request...far more options where it's hot, e..g. Venice Florida, Del Mar, CA, LaJolla, CA, Naples FL
The only state with a Mediterranean climate in the U.S. is California. Alabama and Florida definitely don't count.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:38 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,972,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Northern CA does as well. It actually probably resembles the climate in the Mediterranean more so because of its cooler and wetter winters than SoCal.
Okay I was not aware of that.Thanks for telling me.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:20 PM

5,518 posts, read 8,766,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
The only state with a Mediterranean climate in the U.S. is California. Alabama and Florida definitely don't count.
...and from what I've seen, get too far inland from the Pacific and California weather is really, really hot in the summer -- not at all the mild summer and winters that are typical of Mediterranean climates.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:40 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,760,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
...and from what I've seen, get too far inland from the Pacific and California weather is really, really hot in the summer -- not at all the mild summer and winters that are typical of Mediterranean climates.
How far though? San Bernardino is 50 miles from the coast and shares the same basic climate (Csb).

It's noticeably hotter during the summer (albeit dry), and can get down to the upper 20's at times on some winter nights, but it's not like it turns into Phoenix once you get east of the 405.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:45 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,038,253 times
Try Oxnard, CA or Port Hueneme, CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.